VIP Build Fire Burst

Fish Out of Water

Just wanted to know if any one else has had problems with Planet Waves tuners.  Mine came with an incomplete set of attachment nuts.  When I called customer service they told me to go to the hardware store to find one...Would a hardware store  have something like that??  The threads are kinda close on those nuts.  I tried a nut from a spare pot but the threads weren't close enough..  Any one else have this problem??

Finer thread on the tuner than pot; a good hardware store should have one, but finding one that thin to match may be issue. I got a set that was unopened on arrival that was missing the washer that goes under the nut; got one at hardware store and painted black, but would have been severely irate if it was a gold set of tuners.

I wish I could help, but I just wanted to say that you post a thread title like that, get me all excited and then ask a question about screws.  This thread is worthless without pics. :(

Just kidding.  Sort of.

If I ever figure out how to post pics, I will.  I'd like nothig more than to show off my VIP once it's finished.  I'll keep working on getting this site to upload my pics.... As far as the build goes, it's goin very slowly...

jackthehack said:
Finer thread on the tuner than pot; a good hardware store should have one, but finding one that thin to match may be issue. I got a set that was unopened on arrival that was missing the washer that goes under the nut; got one at hardware store and painted black, but would have been severely irate if it was a gold set of tuners.

That's interesting.  My last set of planet waves tuners had an extra set of both the nut and the washer.
Seems like there is some quality control issues here.

BTW, I don't think being told to go to a hardware store by customer support is very neighborly.

OK, I'm gonna try to post some of these pics...

http://i515.photobucket.com/albums/t357/dls6571/VIP/VIP002.jpg
http://i515.photobucket.com/albums/t357/dls6571/VIP/VIP004.jpg
http://i515.photobucket.com/albums/t357/dls6571/VIP/VIP005.jpg
http://i515.photobucket.com/albums/t357/dls6571/VIP/VIP006.jpg

OK, VIP body
Chambered Mahogony body with the belly and heel contour, clear finish
Quilted maple top with fire burst finish and creme binding
Routed for a Wilkinson Trem (chrome)

Warmoth 24 3/4" scale neck with standard thin contour
Satin finish on the back
Jet black ebony fret board with oval inlays and creme binding
Planet waves tuners (chrome)
Graphite nut and black painted peg face

Creme pickup bezels (they will be adjusted once the neck is installed, they're a bit crooked..... :doh:)
Seymour Duncan Jazz in the neck and a JB in the bridge
Dual to single coil push pull on the tone for both pickups.
Amber control knobs

Hit some speed bumps right outta the gate with a missing tuner nut and I think the bezel for the bridge pickup is too high.  I think I'm gonna have to get a shorter neck type bezel for it.  Will post more when more progress is made...

VIP005.jpg

A guitar so cool small children pray to it. :laughing7:

:laughing11: That's pretty funny.  I didn't even notice my son's picture in the back ground...He thinks I'm pretty dorky cause I play the guitar....My ex-wife didn't like it too much either.

I'd bet his opinion will change in a few years.  Especially when pissing off his mom with loud noises adds an extra draw.

Fish said:
Just wanted to know if any one else has had problems with Planet Waves tuners.  Mine came with an incomplete set of attachment nuts.  When I called customer service they told me to go to the hardware store to find one...Would a hardware store  have something like that??  The threads are kinda close on those nuts.  I tried a nut from a spare pot but the threads weren't close enough..  Any one else have this problem??
I'd tell 'em to send me some damn nuts, or I'll bring these tuners back to ya and stick 'em up somebodies ass... :icon_biggrin:

Your son thinks playing guitar is dorky?
Tell him it's all for the ladies or something to that effect :p
Or get him into music. Rock. Classic rock.

I was able to get a nut at Sam Ash and I got a different bezel there too.

He's only 13 a very much into sports right now so anything that isn't sports related he has no interest in right now.  I'm sure that will change soon tho and then he'll be asking me for guitar lessons...

Fish said:
I was able to get a nut at Sam Ash and I got a different bezel there too.

He's only 13 a very much into sports right now so anything that isn't sports related he has no interest in right now.  I'm sure that will change soon tho and then he'll be asking me for guitar lessons...
i just turned 14. Seems i might just have a open mind though.

But anyway, nice guitar.

I'm having another problem....
The body has the contoured heel, so when I was ordering it I also ordered 2 of the long screws and 2 of the shorter screws.  Here's the problem, with the short screws through the body on the "short side" the remaining screw looks taller than the long screw.  What's worse is that the sort screw looks like it has a chance of coming up through the fret board if it were attached.  Anyone else have this problem?  Am I headed to the hardware store again??

Optical delusion; if you ordered the contoured heel screw set from Warmoth it'll be fine; won't go through fretboard.

The 2 shorter screw should go in the front holes and the long screws should go in the back holes (close to the neck pup).

riverbluff said:
The 2 shorter screw should go in the front holes and the long screws should go in the back holes (close to the neck pup).

NONONONONONONONONOONO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The shorter screws go on the same side where the heel pocket is THINNER. If you look at the pic below, from this angle BOTH short screws go through the holes on the right hand side of the heel pocket.

contoured_heel2.jpg

Yeah, I figured the shorter ones went in closer to the lower horn of the body.  They just looked longer than the "long" screws when they were coming up thru the heel.  I'm gonna wait until I get my custom neck plate in from the dangerous one, then I'll attach the neck...

I was told differently during my builds, I will try to find the tread here that stated other wise.  I built both my LPs that way with no issues.

I'm always felt that this was a bit confusing - - seems like on my LP there should only be one short screw, not two.

Back