VIP Build Fire Burst

It just looks so scary the way that the screws look like they're gonna just bust right thru the fret board.  Looks like there's gonna hardly be any wood left between the top of the screw and the fret board.

I actually measured the amount of screw length that was sticking out of the hole and the lower forward hole actually had the same amount of screw sticking out (with short screws installed) as the lower back screw had (with long screws installed).

Dude, you didn't have to take your guitar apart to measure that for me.  I was just gonna call the guys at Warmoth at some point tomorrow.  I really do appreciate your effort and if I was your boss I'd give you a raise for giving that extra effort.... :hello2:  Sorry that I don't have that power tho...

:laughing7: I did the measurements before I put it together because I had the same reservations as you are having about screwing through the fret board.

The short screws are meant to be used for the holes closest to the neck's peghead.  We probably ought to make up a drawing to be included with that screw pack.

Only the corner hole (the obviously shorter one) needs to be shorter screwed- the two sort-of-short holes can both take a normal screw. I've put it in both ways so clearly it's no biggie. But I agree w/Gregg - they should 'officially' resolve the issue on the website.

tfarny said:
Only the corner hole (the obviously shorter one) needs to be shorter screwed- the two sort-of-short holes can both take a normal screw.

I did this recently since I've had trouble with screws that won't tighten. Helped a little.

DangerousR6 said:
Fish said:
Just wanted to know if any one else has had problems with Planet Waves tuners.  Mine came with an incomplete set of attachment nuts.  When I called customer service they told me to go to the hardware store to find one...Would a hardware store  have something like that??  The threads are kinda close on those nuts.  I tried a nut from a spare pot but the threads weren't close enough..  Any one else have this problem??
I'd tell 'em to send me some damn nuts, or I'll bring these tuners back to ya and stick 'em up somebodies ass... :icon_biggrin:

Yeah, and these days Homeland Security would have your house surrounded within half an hour. =[

It's all put together!!!!  It's actually been done for a few days but I've been playin it every chance i get. 

http://i515.photobucket.com/albums/t357/dls6571/VIP/VIP7.jpg
http://i515.photobucket.com/albums/t357/dls6571/VIP/VIP8.jpg

I couldn't wait for the custom neck plate so I just used the one that it came with.  This thing plays and sounds awsome.  It's everything that I had ever wanted in a guitar.  It's actually lighter than my strat!!!  It goes from humbucking to single coil with just a yank on the tone knob.  But now it's off the shop for some final tweaking.  The nut slots need to be filed down for a closer action.  The neck also needs to be adjusted and it needs an intonation tweak.  I don't have the tools to file the nut and the other things I just am not good at.  Best leave those adjustments to the pros....
I will post the final pics in the VIP gallery once it comes back and I get the custom neck plate on it. 

what are the specs of the neck? it seems to be ebony for the fingerboard? whats the neckback?

The neck is mahogony with an ebony finger board.  I wasn't sure about the oval inlays, but they seem to have grown on me...I wanted something that looked a little more "custom" other than traditional dots or traps

Back