UW Blues Jam #1 - June 2010 - Final Mix

Steve_Karl

Here's the final mix and the tracking list of players.

http://www.sightsea.com/music/wbj/UWBJ_Final_Mix_11.21.10.mp3

0:00 - 1:00 GoDrex
1:00 - 1:57 djf67
1:57 - 2:55 hachikid ( Bass Solo )
2:55 - 3:52 MULLY
3:53 - 4:50 Panthur
4:50 - 5:47 Steve_Karl
5:48 - 6:45 Doughboy
6:45 - 7:42 Autobat
7:43 - 8:39 D-Rock
8:41 - 9:38 elfro89

Great work everyone!

Alternate download link:
https://www.yousendit.com/dl?phi_action=app/orchestrateDownload&rurl=https%253A%252F%252Fwww.yousendit.com%252Ftransfer.php%253Faction%253Dbatch_download%2526batch_id%253DYWhNWGJFQXA4aU5jR0E9PQ

I'm glad we got some more people involved near the end. 10 is more than I thought we'd get.

It's really fun to listen to. I wish we could have had like 20 solos - I keep wanting to hear the next one.  :icon_thumright:

I hate to be a nit-picker, but if it were me I would tack some more of the backing on the the end and fade it out - just so it doesn't just end abruptly. Otherwise it sounds great.

Everyone did a great job on this.

GoDrex- Good way to start it off. No super fancy runs, great bends. I really liked the tone on this one too. What gear did you employ?

djf67- Jumped right in to 2nd place with your balls out. Liked the feel of this one. Were you doing some Yngwie blues there towards the end?

hachikid- I'm really glad you got in on this one. You don't catch too many bass men taking a solo spot. I for one liked it a lot. Your ending really gave me a good spot to jump in on too. hehe!!! This track sounded like BB King meets Billy Sheehan. hehe!! Good stuff.

MULLY-I hate listening to myself. No comment.

Panthur- I really liked your opening riffs coming off of mine. The overall feel of this track is cool. Like the tone too.

Steve_Karl-Jazz meets blues. I really liked this one. You have great feel and mixed in the little jazzy bits very well. My only complaint would be that you sound far away. I would have liked to have heard this one a bit more up front in the mix. But that's kind of a catch 22 because the sound way in the back gives it flavor. Good one.

Doughboy- The intro was strange to me, but in a good way. It's not anything I've ever heard before with a blues jam. Good stuff. I may steal it. hehe!!

Autobat- This is the first I've heard this one. I must have missed your posting. I like that you didn't try to overdo anything. You seemed to have stayed in one area and worked it all out and had fun with it.

D-Rock-A little Slash flavor with the wah intro. I'm surprised we got this far into this without hearing a wah pedal. Glad you added it in there. Good feeling, good pace. Liked it.

elfro89- This is hands down my favorite intro. You seem to have a good feel for the blues. There were a few places I wish there would have been more guitar and less silence but that's only because I was enjoying listening to you.

Everyone, fantastic job!! This is exactly what this type of thing should be. All different levels of players trying to step out of their comfort zone and place their self on the firing line. I thoroughly enjoyed this whole thing.

I want to personally thank everyone involved from playing to editing, mixing etc... you guys know who you are. Thanks for making this happen.
MULLY

mullyman said:
GoDrex- Good way to start it off. No super fancy runs, great bends. I really liked the tone on this one too. What gear did you employ?

Thanks. That's my Warmoth LP with a Seymour Duncan '78 neck pickup - - the amp is my Fender Cyber Deluxe on the Fender Blackface "crunch" setting with a tiny bit of compression to give me a little more sustain - and of course some fake spring reverb. I tried to choose a tone I thought would fit with the style of the backing. Wasn't super thrilled with what I played, but I hate banging my head against a wall recording stuff. I've done a bunch of recordings, but it seems like as soon as I press record I put too much pressure on myself. That was my first take after realizing I needed to do 24 bars instead of 12. :laughing7:  I thought it worked well enough so I kept it.

btw  -  my favorite solo was Panthur's - tone and playing I liked it the best.

The finished track sounds GREAT!!!

Many thanks to Mully for getting this whole thing started & for Steve Karl for doing the excellent editing work.

I have the next jam track 99% done & will post it in very shortly. I made it in such a way that you can solo on it using any style. It works for blues, jazz, heavy metal, fusion etc. so hopefully we'll have more soloists this time.

If marko has recording gear, I'll do one for the next one too. It won't be any good but it'll be fun!  :laughing3:

If I ever get recording gear, I would love to join. GoDrex, I love your tone. It oozed "stank". I like that style of phrasing, so I really liked the solo.

that would be neat as hell to have a fusion backing track! and this thing is sounding awesome! can't wait for the next one.

As I said on the other thread.  I want in on the next jam.   :eek:ccasion14:

Good work on this one guys  :icon_thumright:

GoDrex said:
Aww, I'm made up, thanks  :icon_biggrin:
For some reason I get a 'You are not authorized to view this page' message when I try to listen to the mp3. Tried two different browsers and same problem, shame cos I really wanna hear the finished thing.
I'm so down for the next one, huge thanks to everyone for playing and putting it together.

mullyman said:
Everyone did a great job on this.

MULLY-I hate listening to myself. No comment.

MULLY - Tone is just a bit on the harsh side. The mids are scooped out. Just turn the ) into a (  for more mids and less highs and lows, which would flesh it out.
The more mids I use, the more I can feel the guitar.

I like your playing !

Panthur said:
GoDrex said:
Aww, I'm made up, thanks  :icon_biggrin:
For some reason I get a 'You are not authorized to view this page' message when I try to listen to the mp3. Tried two different browsers and same problem, shame cos I really wanna hear the finished thing.
I'm so down for the next one, huge thanks to everyone for playing and putting it together.

Try clearing your browser cache, and if you're then still having problems getting it ... PM me your email address and I'll send the track to you using yousendit.com

Just sent it to you with yousendit.com
You can download it from there.
S

Alternate download link:
https://www.yousendit.com/dl?phi_action=app/orchestrateDownload&rurl=https%253A%252F%252Fwww.yousendit.com%252Ftransfer.php%253Faction%253Dbatch_download%2526batch_id%253DYWhNWGJFQXA4aU5jR0E9PQ

Paul-less said:
If I ever get recording gear, I would love to join. GoDrex, I love your tone. It oozed "stank". I like that style of phrasing, so I really liked the solo.

Thanks I think - I'm not sure if stank is good or bad - usually if something stank everyone is clearing out of the room. :laughing7:

i loved everyones ideas!  :icon_thumright: Definitely some ideas im gonna steal! hopefully next time i wont run out of ideas and leave big open spaces  :doh:

great work guys! i think this is a bitchin chance to really stretch yourself and try new and crazy things. I'm looking forward to hearing others ideas in the next jam track. awesome work guys!  :eek:ccasion14:

Back