Using the line out on my amp

marthur

I'd like to plug in headphones or maybe record some things using the line out on my tube amp. Its a 1/4 inch jack. When using it, do i unplug the cab from my amp since im using the line out, or do i keep the cab plugged into the amp still?

If you're using a solid state amp that would be okay.  But if you're using a tube amp you still need speaker load.  The line out doesn't turn off the output to your cab, its just outputting the signal.  I'm not sure if it is post preamp or post poweramp.. I think that might change with the amp manufacturer.  On my rivera, the master volume affected the line out volume, not just the gain.

If you're just doing some scratch recordings it should work just fine,  Its a good way to get your ideas down.  but as far as a useable signal it's not going to get you very far if you actually want it for a recording.  A guitar speaker acts as a filter.  Its like an equalizer thats always set to the same settings.  and its always an improvement on your sound.  With the line out you just get the direct signal, technically just the voltage of your signal into whatever you're recording.. so you're not actually getting any kind of aural presence at all.  What I always did for recording my guitar in a recording i wanted to actually release was mic the cab like you would at a show, find that sweet spot, its all subjective, there is no wrong way to do it ( well there is but you'll be fine, I'm sure ) and Also output the line out, and another mic a few feet away from the amp to capture some of the room sound as well as letting the sound "breathe" a bit before it gets to the mic.  Of course you'll need some sort of multitracker to do this, or an interface to your computer with more than 1 track.

That way you can mix the signals together to find the right sound.  You get the "live show " sound from the close mic.  then you add in some of the tightness and brightness of the signal with the line out, and the room mic adds some ambience and a bit more presence to the mix.  Typically, the line out was by far the lowest of the three in the mix.

But you could also run into phase problems.. which is something I'm not much of an expert on yet.  Which is probably why my records don't sound as good as i'd like them to.

in short.  don't unplug your cab if your'e running a tube amp.  or at least, use a dummy load.

On a tube amp, it should short the output when you pull the speaker jack.  On solid state, it goes open.

Line outs were made to drive line-level devices, such as many mixing boards (that have a line in as well as mic in), recording equipment, etc.

I think - memory here - that line level signal is 1v signal level into a 10k ohm load.  Great for driving a tape player, not good for driving headphones.

=CB= said:
I think - memory here - that line level signal is 1v signal level into a 10k ohm load.  Great for driving a tape player, not good for driving headphones.

Could possibly blow a decent set of headphones or cause some hearing damage if the headphones get too loud?

You probably will not like the sound that comes out of Line Out, they're made to feed slave power amps and effects racks. The tone is not the same as what comes out of the speakers.

Very true because speakers are not flat response, but VERY colored with strong upper mid swell and lower mid dips

some tube amps (Carvin makes some) have a cabinet voiced line out so you dont need to mic it and the tone would be acceptable.

Brian

=CB= said:
Very true because speakers are not flat response, but VERY colored with strong upper mid swell and lower mid dips
Exactly along with the output tranny characteristics, feedback loop that's used, etc.

Back