unfinished necks

Mr. E.

I've been thinking about an unfinished neck (goncalo maybe, with pau fero or canary).

My hands don't sweat overly, but my skin is very acidic (I'll wear away finishes on my glasses, or metal watch bands, etc.)

So I'm curious if anyone has any experience with unfinished neck woods being affected by hand oils/sweat/acidity.

thanks,

-erik

it's pretty annoying - if printed materials don't have some sort of aqueous coating, I'll smudge the printing the the point of illegibility after a while.

-erik

Look at the different fretboards you've played on.  Maple is most likely the only one you've ever played on with a finish.  I would guess you've seen and played on Ebony and Rosewood before.  Have you ever seen a tarnished one?  Padouk is the only wood that comes to mind that doesn't require a finish that will oxidize without one.  It's kind of a Catch 22, that Padouk.

I've been playing an unfinished neck for a while and it's getting smoother and smoother every day. And my fingers are always pretty sweaty. Cool hae!  :headbang:

thanks guys. I just ordered my custom neck! Specs:

Neck Type: Warmoth Pro Strat
Neck Wood: Goncalo Alves
Back Contour: Fat Back
Fingerboard: Pau Fero fingerboard (Unique FB option wood #FB269)
FB Inlay: Mother of Pearl dots
Guitar Neck Side Dots: White
Tuner Holes: Vintage Style
Nut Width:1-11/16
Pre-installed Nut: Graphtec Graphite
Installed Frets: Stainless Steel 6115

ETA 8 weeks-ish.

:blob7:

Back