Unboxing/reaction video for my Baritone Iceman

Peccavi

Here's the video, please excuse the overall awkwardness, I get a bit nervous when I talk to cameras. There are a few swear words, for those of you who are sensitive to that stuff
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfnGMEROyeU[/youtube]

Most of the specs are mentioned in the video, but I'll type them out here as well:
Black Korina Iceman body routed for two hums and string-though TOM bridge.
Wenge baritone neck with Ebony compound radius fretboard. gold frets and paddle headstock (I'll be carving out my own inline reverse headstock).
Planet Waves auto-trim locking tuners
Seymour Duncan P-rails in the neck
Bareknuckle Warpig in the bridge ( Not included in the video, still need to gather the dough for it)
all the hardware will be gold (and now I await hatemail from the folks that dont like gold hardware)

I havent decided on what TOM-style bridge I'll use, so recommendations are welcome.

Here are some pics
IMG_1831.jpg

IMG_1840.jpg

IMG_1837.jpg

IMG_1843.jpg

IMG_1830.jpg

IMG_1828-1.jpg

IMG_1826-1.jpg

ff.jpg

IMG_1841.jpg

IMG_1842.jpg

Fits like a glove, a really tight glove!

I just looked it up, and it is pronounced 'When-gay".

and on that note, what's the proper pronunciation for Warmoth? I've heard different ones.

Oh man, Agwan is gonna be jealous. That looks awesome!

I will never call it Wen-gay, I have simply been calling it wenge (like henge) for too long  :icon_jokercolor:

i've always said them like when-gey & war-mith.

sharp looking body.  excellent wood you've got. can't wait to see what you do with it & the headstock.

AutoBat said:
i've always said them like when-gey & war-mith.

Same here. Purposefully did the research early on to be sure I had it right. Hate to someday meet Ken Warmoth and sound like a 'tard <grin>

Back on topic...

That ought to be a nice-sounding and excellent-playing instrument. Good wood choices.

swarfrat said:
Whatcha got planned for the headstock?
I've been messing around with different ideas all day, and this one stuck out the most to me.
IMG_1884.jpg

I'm wanting to make a headstock that really fits the Iceman body, so I tried incorporating the hook/horn motif into the headstock. It's a pretty rough drawing as of now, though.

That hook-y end on the headstock looks pretty fragile.  Suppose you were to just take the lower horn of the body and trace that as the end of your headstock?  IT'd be sturdier.

Cool toys you got there, by the way.  Welcome aboard.

Yeah, I was worried that the hook looked a bit too fragile. I'm gonna try to make it a bit beefier on my next edit. and that's a good idea about the tracing, hopefully I can make it fit.

and thanks for the welcome, this is my first Warmoth build, by the way.

I really recommend going to Wal-Mart and buying a cheap set of French Curves before you decide on any lines.

frenchCurves.jpg

they aren't that hard to get used to. and can provide crisper and smoother lines than you can hope to freehand. there is a reason every artist owns several sets. they dont cost much and they're always gonna be useful for something.

Thanks for the advice, I will give it a shot.

Edit: I've fattened the horn on the rough-draft, it's starting to not look so flimsy.
IMG_1862.jpg

If you haven't already done so, it might be a good idea to draw in the nut slots and then make straight lines from the nut slots to the tuner posts. I know they don't have to line up perfectly but you could get an idea for the spacing you'll end up with. Looks great so far. Really love the DIY spirit.

llmtelecaster said:
If you haven't already done so, it might be a good idea to draw in the nut slots and then make straight lines from the nut slots to the tuner posts. I know they don't have to line up perfectly but you could get an idea for the spacing you'll end up with. Looks great so far. Really love the DIY spirit.
I've taken this into consideration but havent made any exact measurements as far as spacing goes, just eyeballed it. Those tuner post holes on the template are just a visual aid for now, so it's subject to change.

And as for the DIY spirit, I'm wanting to eventually be able to build a guitar from scratch, so I'm using these Warmoth builds as practice (as well as having awesome instruments to play too, of course). I'm planning on making these builds more and more challenging. so far, I have some ideas for 3 more guitars and a bass I want to do.

I think a little bit fattening on the top of headstock, again, would be the best! Just a tiny little more

Back