Tuning guitar with Floyd onstage?

Mapleg4

I'm just wondering if it's possible to tune a guitar with a Floyd from Drop-D to standard tuning quickly without messing up the tuning of the rest of the strings?

There's something called a D-Tuna that does exactly that.  I don't think there's a good way to do it with a stock FR, though.

dbw said:
There's something called a D-Tuna that does exactly that.  I don't think there's a good way to do it with a stock FR, though.

I found this website: http://www.dtuna.com/

it works with a tremolno, set it to dive only or ridged and it should work fine.

not going to look it up for you sorry.  ok, but only because you asked.

searching....  searching....
got it

http://www.tremol-no.com/

the site says can be used with tremsetter so you can still pull up. If I ever get a FR I'm going to have to look into something like that. I heard that the Hipshot one was crap. I probably won't use anything and take my chances...

I've done it on-the-fly before where when tuning I'd set the low E's fine-tuner low and raise it up to drop to D (well, C in my case). Not the ideal way to go about it but, it worked.

-1 on the D-tuna. I didn't like it at all, very innacurate for me.

Seems like there's a lot of Floyd haters in here... This topic has turned out to be more about how much Floyds suck than how to tune them properly.

I love my Floyds, but I always keep them in standard tuning.  If I want to detune or alternate tune something (which for me is rare), then I use one of my hardtails.

Mapleg4 said:
Seems like there's a lot of Floyd haters in here... This topic has turned out to be more about how much Floyds suck than how to tune them properly.

huh? One person said that the d-tuna sucked... I must be missing something. Butch? Butch's lawyer? ;)

GoDrex said:
Mapleg4 said:

huh? One person said that the d-tuna sucked... I must be missing something. Butch? Butch's lawyer? ;)

I just thought the people here were negative about Floyds.

I usually keep my OFR guitar in drop D.  When I need standard tuning, I just switch guitars, rather then retune the floyd.

riverbluff said:
I usually keep my OFR guitar in drop D.  When I need standard tuning, I just switch guitars, rather then retune the floyd.

It could be practical when you can bring only one guitar.

Mapleg4 said:
I love Floyds, been using them for almost 25 years. All I said was that the D-tuna didn't work for me.

Here, let me help....I hate floyds.  I change my strings way too often to be dealing with all that.  I mean floyds are like a guitar version of the chastity belt!  There, now we have a floyd hater around here.  On my non-floyd guitars I can change to drop D tuning anytime I want!  Sorry, I know this is not helpful........

I have 6 OFR guitars, they work great.

I will also echo the fact that the D-tuna is dificult to set-up and use, it's a great concept that needs a bit more refining, it doesn't help that the fine tuners or rather the fine tuner levers are only good for half a pitch change, so setup (initial tuning) needs to be pretty spot on to use the d-tuna effectivly.

But it will work for a bit, right up till the string stretches a bit and you have no fine tune adjustment left to compensate.

I've got a d-tuna on my RG 370 and I'm going to be putting one on my hotrod. I'm using it with the tremsetter and the setup is a pain in the arse... Once you get it setup it works great and you can quickly get a drop D. It is a little finicky, but it works for a night onstage. Two guitars works too, but then you can't drop D in the middle of a song.

I've also set the fine tuner so that almost all the way in was E and almost all the way out was D, but that's a bit of a hassle.

And as for a floyd... If you want to dive bomb, it's the only way to go... With that said I have one FR (soon to be 2) and the rest are hard tails...

Back