Tube combo recommendations

Pelagaard

Hello, I recently bought a used Fender Bassbreaker 18/30, and I'm starting to think it's not the amp for me.

Firstly, I vastly underestimated just how loud this amp in on both the 30watt and 18watt channels. A 2x10 is definitely more amp then I need.

Secondly, as much as I love how great the cleans are, there just isn't enough gain at a usable volume. I think I need to have a two channel amp with a footswitch.

Finally, I'm really missing having an effects loop.

So, I'm looking for recommendations on a smaller tube combo with an effects loop, more gain (or at least two channels), and ideally around the $500 mark.

What says the hive kind?

Not very popular around here, but what you're describing almost sounds like the description of a VHT Special 6 Ultra. Here's a link to the Musicians Friend page: https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=30526.msg429903#msg429903
And the Premier Guitar review: https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/VHT_Special_6_Ultra_Amp_Review

Many YouTube videos and reviews available. Sells for $399US in the States, no idea about price of availability in Europe. I have the combo version, suites my needs for a low watt, low volume amp for home use. (Note that I don't play professionally, and I haven't set foot on a stage in almost 40 years.) Here's a link to my "NAD" post: https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=30526.msg429903#msg429903

I've since swapped out the 12AX7 pre-amp tubes for a set of 5751's, to lower the gain and drop the noise floor just a bit. I also installed a Warehouse Guitar Speakers Reaper, 30w, speaker to add a little warmth to the tone. Although to be truthful, the stock speaker sounded fine, and the change was just a consequence of my "Tweaking" addiction.

I like mine, of course YMMV. Good luck on your quest!

Even a 5 Watt tube amp can be loud.

Perhaps check out something like a Blackstar HT5 variant or a lower wattage Marshall.

BigSteve22 said:
I like mine, of course YMMV. Good luck on your quest!
Hold that thought! Just turned my amp on, and I'm hearing a distinct hum which was not there last night! Working on trying to track it down...  :icon_scratch:

stratamania said:

No kidding. I'm surprised all the time by smaller amps, particularly tube-based units. Before you go to the trouble to replace an otherwise nice amp, maybe try a compressor to get rid of some of the dynamic range. Often, it's the dynamic range that startles people. Plus, compressors can be fun for other things like imcreasing sustain.

There may be better options out there, but the ole' Fender Blues Jr. might be a good option. 15 watts, 1x12, sounds pretty good (especially with a better speaker), and used ones are widely available.

Edit: Sorry, didn't see you were looking for a two channel with gain. Buuuuuut, you could get a B Jr. and and a good overdrive pedal that's to your taste :dontknow:

Fender SuperSonic 22 might be worth considering. I had one for quite a while, only dropped it when I switched to a modeling unit. It has 2 channels, a clean channel that is classic Fendery clean and a “Burn” channel that has two separate gain stages capable of far more dirt than your average Fender amp. It also had an effects loop that, if I recall correctly, could be turned on and off with the amps footswitch. If I was buying a tube combo again it’s what I’d get.

stratamania said:

Perhaps check out something like a Blackstar HT5 variant or a lower wattage Marshall.
I'd like to second that motion, Blackstar HT5 is a sweet little amp. But I'm partial to Blackstar, I have the HT60... :toothy12:

Cagey said:
stratamania said:

No kidding. I'm surprised all the time by smaller amps, particularly tube-based units. Before you go to the trouble to replace an otherwise nice amp, maybe try a compressor to get rid of some of the dynamic range. Often, it's the dynamic range that startles people. Plus, compressors can be fun for other things like imcreasing sustain.
An attenuator can also be a helpful item, reduces the power of the signal without losing the tone.. :dontknow:

I have an HT1 that I run through a 212 and it is great. You might want to check out the Marshall Origin amps. Also you may want to consider getting your gain from a pedal. It's kind of difficult for a low watt combo to do gain and clean very well. It seems like it's one or the other.

Something that might fit your description is a used Mesa Boogie F-30. The gain channel has a ton of gain, the clean channel is IMO better than anything you'll get on a small channel switching amp in the price range. Plus they have an effects loop. It also has independent low/mid/treble/reverb/master for each channel. They come with celestion vintage 30's so you'll never feel like you want to upgrade the speaker. You can find them for $500 used, I think it's probably the best bargain that can be had in used tube amps.

spe111 said:
Something that might fit your description is a used Mesa Boogie F-30. The gain channel has a ton of gain, the clean channel is IMO better than anything you'll get on a small channel switching amp in the price range. Plus they have an effects loop. It also has independent low/mid/treble/reverb/master for each channel. They come with celestion vintage 30's so you'll never feel like you want to upgrade the speaker. You can find them for $500 used, I think it's probably the best bargain that can be had in used tube amps.

I had one and I totally wish I still had it.  Great combo. EL84 driven, which seems to me to give a little sizzle in the clean channel that's different (not necessarily better) than a Fender-style clean with tons of headroom.  The factory spring reverb sounds excellent.

And while the OP's issue with the Bluesbreaker is that usable overdrive gain is unavailable at a reasonable volume, the Boogie will provide it.  But if you do find yourself in an environment where you really need to move some air, it'll do the job for sure.

It's that first watt that causes all the trouble. All the rest barely make a dent compared to him.

Sounds like something else, where one is too many and 100 aren't enough :laughing7:

Bagman67 said:
I had one and I totally wish I still had it.  Great combo. EL84 driven, which seems to me to give a little sizzle in the clean channel that's different (not necessarily better) than a Fender-style clean with tons of headroom.  The factory spring reverb sounds excellent.

And while the OP's issue with the Bluesbreaker is that usable overdrive gain is unavailable at a reasonable volume, the Boogie will provide it.  But if you do find yourself in an environment where you really need to move some air, it'll do the job for sure.

I had one, got rid of it, then got another one because I missed the first one.

Thanks for all the advice. I ended up sticking with the Bassbreaker series, and was able to do an even swap (both are used) from the Bassbreaker 18/30 for the Bassbreaker 15. While it doesn't have the 2 channels I was hoping for, it hit all the other criteria, and I really like the way it sounds.

The three built in gain stages are great, and the master volume allows me to get the sweet, sweet breakup at a level that doesn't annoy the neighbors (or my eardrums).

Back