Best arrangement of Pedals

18allthaway

Total Newb question.
** Granted it depends on the sound I'm looking for, but let's look at this scenario as a general rule of thumb. **
I have 3 pedals that I want advice on how to put in the best order:
a Wampler Tumnus (Overdrive),
2 - Tube driver type pedals One has a 7025 (12AX7) and the other has a 12AU7.
Then it will go directly in to a 100 watt 2-12 solid state combo amp.
My though is to go Tumnus,12AX7, 12AU7.
I thought this order would allow the Tumnus to push the 12AX7.
I'm sure the lower-gain of the 12AU7 will choke all of that hard work; however, my hope is the 12AU7 would allow the sound to be sculpted in the higher headroom of the 12AU7.
Is running 2 tube pedals in order a bad idea?
I'm trying to make the best of what I have on a limited-budget.

Total Newb question.
** Granted it depends on the sound I'm looking for, but let's look at this scenario as a general rule of thumb. **
I have 3 pedals that I want advice on how to put in the best order:
a Wampler Tumnus (Overdrive),
2 - Tube driver type pedals One has a 7025 (12AX7) and the other has a 12AU7.
Then it will go directly in to a 100 watt 2-12 solid state combo amp.
I thought this order would allow the Tumnus to push the 12AX7.
I'm sure the lower-gain of the 12AU7 will choke all of that hard work; however, my hope is the 12AU7 would allow the sound to be sculpted in the higher headroom of the 12AU7.
Is running 2 tube pedals in order a bad idea?
I'm trying to make the best of what I have on a limited-budget.
I think you outta just experiment as there isn't really any right or wrong. My thinking would be to put the 12au7 pedal last to massage the Tumnus into the 12ax7 pedal just like you said. What amp do you currently have?

Last edited by a moderator:
I found an 80's model 100watt Crate G212 for $150.
Very bassy and growly, like a bear that woke-up from hibernation.
It is a major step-up from the pignose I've been playing.

Without knowing the gain capabilities of the pedals, I would suggest your lowest gain 1st , then middle, then highest gain last. Can’t go wrong with gain staging and it allows to explore higher levels (if desired) while not maxing out any pedal.

Without knowing the gain capabilities of the pedals, I would suggest your lowest gain 1st , then middle, then highest gain last. Can’t go wrong with gain staging and it allows to explore higher levels (if desired) while not maxing out any pedal.
Or if you have the ability to run them I parallel, put your 2 lowest gain on 1 path and your in series on the other path.

That's they way I would first set them up.
  • Tumnus, and all Klons are mostly used a a boost and I would want it to boost the more amp-like Tube Drivers
  • I would set the lower-gain Tube Driver last to act more like a tube amp, just enough gian to smooth out the fuzzes and ODs placed in front
But, real-life testing may result in something different.

Another idea than hasn't been discussed is running the pedals into the return of the efffects loop just to see how that may sound. Maybe skipping the eq helps?

@TBurst Std I can only run them in series.
@DuckBaloo I will give both a try when I can.
@Spud Amp doesn't have an Effects Loop. It is an 80's model.

I am relearning to play after a 25 year hiatus. I was able to get the scratchy pots
to settle in to a very nice growl to play some WASP - Manimal.

You're talking about three pedals. Just try the different configurations out, pick the best one, and get to headbanging

Back