Combo size - JTM45/800

bonesofwrath

I don't think I'd ask this on a bigger more opinionated forum but here among respected friends...

I have transformers, chassis and turret board for I bought for a JCM800 2204 clone. They're approaching vintage themselves and i need to do something with em or get rid of em.

I just do not have the space for a 1960A halfstack. I've kicked around a two 112 combo for a while, but honestly the second speaker is basically a heavy and expensive stand/notch filter.

I'm sorta thinking about building it as a bright channel only JTM45 now with a full time power soak to allow lower power speakers. What I'm wondering about at the moment is baffle size. I've only ever played 18"W combos and was wondering if there's anything to a wider baffle in a 112. I'd be building myself but the plan is basically a 24"w combo like

I'm interested in thoughts on bigger box 112's and open back speaker choices for a low gain Marshall. What think the board?

Short answer -dunno However, Deluxe Reverbs sound good with a 24" combo width.

For cabinets, I'm partial to using the golden ratio (1.62), mostly because I managed to convince myself that it lowered reflections inside the cabinet. Probably BS, but that's what I did. The closed back 1x12 turned out to sound exceptional.

For a 1x12 cab, using an additional inch on either side of the baffle board, this turns out to be approx 14" tall by 23" wide and about 8.5" deep, closed back. This puts us in deluxe reverb territory, and should accommodate your chassis with no issues, but you might have to make adjustments for lumber thickness, chassis depth, and how deep your loudspeaker is.

Closed back tube combo? I just figured heat dissipation meant I needed to be open back. A 50w amp is making about 75w counting heaters and then turning it back into noise...

I know its supposed to be a Marshall, but the combos were always open back.

Next super technical question..
Does white tolex work with cane? Or would large check be better? Will i regret white? Does duratex look sufficiently like a musical instrument box that people won't say "why'd you paint it instead of wrapping it?"

Is wicker/cane more difficult than cloth, or easier? (Seems like its stiffer and wouldn't be as difficult to properly tension).

I've not really seen that combo that i can find except for a 12w mini head/cab on reverb andew years back.

Closed back tube combo? I just figured heat dissipation meant I needed to be open back. A 50w amp is making about 75w counting heaters and then turning it back into noise...

I know its supposed to be a Marshall, but the combos were always open back.
My apologies - I was not clear. In a combo case I had a different cavity for the amp.

Dug my corners out.. They're fender style, got a bunch of 3-screw and can only find a couple 2 screw. JTM45 is actually no corner but I don't trust that.

After reading up again on the duratex stuff thats definitely the plan , but I think I'm going to ditch the white idea. Black makes whicker look better I think. (But it wouldn't take much convincing to go back to white.)

I do prefer the JTM45 style vent to the Sourmash one. Lots of cabinetry decisions...

Back