Total novice question, 12 string electric?

a914man

My first decent guitar was an acoustic Epiphone 12 string.  The bridge started coming off so I took off the strings, and put it in the case for 30 years.  Now I'd like to take that neck and build an electric 12 string.  Any reason this is a really bad idea?  Thanks in advance for your opinion.

That would be very difficult...not feasible for a novice, or anyone but a real luthier.  And honestly, you'd get better results with a new electric neck anyway.

Sorry :)

Edit: You can get the bridge repaired cheaply, though.  Bridges pull off acoustics all the time and you literally just glue the bastards back on.

Anything like this?

http://denver.craigslist.org/msg/939113686.html

A loose bridge can be reset or replaced, but aside from that the neck isn't going to be compatible with much.   IMO fix the bridge and either sell it to fund a new project or........keep it and start a new project anyways  :icon_biggrin:  (the wood has aged 30 years, the tone may be sweet)

Edit: Also while fixing the bridge, its a good time to consider pickup options.

yeah you cant easily turn an acoustic neck into an electric one because of the way it attaches to the body, you should just buy a new 12 string neck + body, you could as stated before, easily have the bridge repaired

Why not just fix up the bridge?  Thats a very doable thing for a beginning luthier to be.

Back