Squier Sonic Stratocaster Compatibility

Chris_g

I’m thinking about a Strat build using the body from a Squier Sonic Stratocaster https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...onic-stratocaster-electric-guitar-ultraviolet I have two questions.

1) Will a Warmoth Strat neck fit this body? I can’t find the specs anywhere on the Squier.

2) Is this even a good idea? How good are these bodies from a functional standpoint. I’m not too worried if the finish work isn’t perfect, I’m not looking for a case queen, I’m going to play it and likely ding it up in the first week I have it. I‘m thinking this because if you buy a Strat body from Fender they start at $250, Warmoth bodies are much more and will take months. This is an entire guitar for $199. My plan would be to ditch everything but the body and put a Warmoth neck and pick guard, Hipshot Tuners, Vega-Trem bridge, Fishman Fluence single coil pickups. I’ll give the rest of the parts to my luthier for some credit on the work. Has anyone done something similar? Is there a reason to not do this?

Thanks in advance.

My 1st guitar kit was fretwire then I built a warmoth and the necks aren't anything like the inexpensive kits
When you buy a 500 dollar neck you want it to intonate and the warmoth bodies put the bridge in the proper place no doubt
If you're not worried about dings then get an unpainted body and do it yourself, I think that is the funnest part of the build.

I always found the fender people helpful. I just called the number on their website.

As it has a 21 fret neck, there is a good chance that it complies with the vintage specs, in which case a Warmoth neck may fit, but there can sometimes be slight dimensional differences. There is also a good chance that with a good set up, the original neck is perfectly functional.

Perhaps call the dealer you plan to buy from and ask if the neck width is 2 1/16” as you plan to use it as a mod platform.

Last edited:
I believe the Sonic is the new name of the Bullet series. I put Warmoth necks on a Bullet Strat and a Bullet Tele and both fit properly. At least one of them needed a little shimming to get the saddle heights reasonable, but it was not a big deal. For me, the neck is about 95% of a guitar, so both of these guitars are now favorites of mine.

That's not saying you shouldn't verify that the Sonic has a standard pocket.

BTW, Warmoth CS responded. They said that Fender and Squier use different specs so they can’t make any guarantees. This pretty much makes it a non-starter for me.

Without a doubt Warmoth bodies are better but they don't offer the color I want and I also really don’t want to wait that long. Anyone have suggestions for professional painters?

Above I said this. Which there is a good possibility, but caveat emptor (let the buyer beware) as there can be slight differences.

As it has a 21 fret neck, there is a good chance that it complies with the vintage specs, in which case a Warmoth neck may fit, but there can sometimes be slight dimensional differences.

If I worked for Warmoth I would have rephrased it as below as there can be slight differences, so could not guarantee it.
BTW, Warmoth CS responded. They said that Fender and Squier use different specs so they can’t make any guarantees.

This pretty much makes it a non-starter for me.
There is also a good chance that with a good set up, the original neck is perfectly functional.
It very likely would work out. Why not give it a try?
Is there not a dealer near you, etc, or one that you could ask to measure the neck heel for you?

Last edited:
Back