Tonemaster build! (Non-Warmoth)

So here they are, the cavities, and then the parts sitting in them. Pretty self-explanatory haha. Next time I update this guy will have color!

Edit: I took the last pic out cause it had my mom's liscence plate in it :p. Call me paranoid, but ehh better safe than sorry I guess. Ill take another with the cover soon :laughing7:

Attachments

• downsize_3 (4).jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 35
  • downsize_4 (3).jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 46
  • downsize_6 (3).jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 39
HomerDrooling.jpg

Mmmm... Professional results...​

Continued great results, and I'm surprised on closer inspection by the cool grain patterns on the Poplar; not a wood you normally expect that from.  If you weren't already, please strongly considering a transparent finish, it'd look great.

Corey P. said:
Continued great results, and I'm surprised on closer inspection by the cool grain patterns on the Poplar; not a wood you normally expect that from.  If you weren't already, please strongly considering a transparent finish, it'd look great.

I would, but as well as already having the paint, I want to be able to show this to people to make them want me to build stuff for them. As much as I love the wood, Poplar itself isn't that popular of a choice for clear coats, so I went with a nice traditional color to garner some more support from potential customers. Plus I just want a guitar in the color I bought.

I better not mess up the paint :icon_jokercolor:

Sealer coats go on tonight!

As Dan Erlewine once said,

"Metallic blue, as blue as Lake Placid"

This is the only picture that came out halfway decent. The sun was on its way down. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• downsize (6).jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 146
That's going to turn out well. One of the few colors I think looks good with chrome. Sparkling water, right?

Thanks guys! I'm just waiting a little bit before I shoot the clear now ( read: the weather is keeping me from shooting  :laughing7:)

A few things:

As good as this is coming out, I would advise everyone to not spray from cans. I won't be spraying color again until I get a compressor set-up etc. etc. It doesn't have anythign to do with how it sprays, but I am more worried about running out of stuff! I'm sure it is much cheaper in the long run to buy larger quentities of stuff. The clear coats are easy enough to spray with cans though.

Very soon I will be starting #2, keep your eyes peeled for that guy!

You're right; spray canned paint is not a good deal by any stretch of the imagination. In a 24oz. can, there's probably only 2oz. of paint. The rest is reducer and propellant.

It doesn't take long at all to justify a spray rig. If you figure ~$300+/body to have it done professionally, then in 2 bodies it's free. Plus, you still have a spray rig.

Well things have kind of hit the fan on this one. I was spraying the clear coats when I ran out of the can, the next day tons of debris (dust, hair, whatever) apparently got stuck in the top coat, and then I banged it into a chair manuevering from outside where I spray to inside where I let it dry. I've decided to just let bygones be bygones and let the nitro cure, then put it together.

Right now im just angry, but later I'm sure will respect how much I put into this, the challenges I overcame, and even the ones that I didn't. I have learned so much from this that I really can't wait to just build more (I know I have said I was going to be starting another one this summer, but the time just ran out). I would probally be more upset if this was the only one I ever planned on building, but you learn and you live right?

Pictures to come in about a week or so.

You may be worried for no reason. Lacquer practically dries coming out of the can (although it's not hard enough to work on), so if stuff stuck to it overnight, it's just sticky stuff or static, not wet/tacky paint. Wait a week or preferably two (Don't touch it! Don't even look at it!), get some rubbing compound and polish, some soft cloths, and go to work. You'll be surprised at how much improvement you'll get.

Well I took Cagey's advise and just put it in a closet and waited 2 weeks. Monday I got it out and wet sanded it, and yesterday I rubbed it out with some polishing compound.

All I can say is wow. It looks fantastic. Ok so it doesn't look Tonar beautiful, but it looks really good! It isn't really deep and glossy (I think I might have sanded a little too aggressively) but it is nice and flat, and the color is great. I am really stoked about how it came out. I was so nervous about it, but thankfully it all turned out fine.

It is about 90% assembled now and needs to be wired up. The wiring I'm gonna do today on my lunchbreak, then it just needs string trees and some strap buttons. I will have pictures within the week. Well hopefully, if the weather cooperates, its been raining for the past week...

I'm glad that worked out for you.

Finish work will try your patience, and it's easy to let it get the better of you. Thing is, it doesn't care, so you just have to remain calm and objective about the whole thing. You'll win in the end.

Sorry guys, pictures soon I promise. On the brightside, it sounds absolutely awesome! This is the first P-90 I have ever played around with and it is a cheap one at that, but it sounds really great. Makes me wonder what a Lollar or something would sound like

Here you are guys! Sorry it took a while but with getting ready to go back to college, my computer not having a good resizing program, etc. it just took me longer than anticipated. I will get some even better ones (I'm no photographer) done soon. Enjoy!

Attachments

• DSCF0308.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCF0306.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCF0300.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCF0291.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 43
2 more! Please let me know what you think!

Attachments

• DSCF0309.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCF0289.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 55
Looks great! I'm not a fan of slab bodies, but I'm sure all the wood only helps the myriad things improved by mass. Did you mentioned which P-90 you bought? I'm curious, since you mentioned it was inexpensive and sounds good.

Back