TOM Intonation

rookosu

Got a dilemma and I thought I'd come to you fine educated folk for some help.  Just finished a Regal build (pic attached), and the thing just RIPS. 

Used it to record this Master of Puppets cover (It's down 1 step which is why Hettfield's vocal stems sound like he's got a mouthful of cotton balls)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7s660djzdygyc01/Master%20of%20Puppets%20-%20SAB%20cover.mp3?dl=0

However, I cannot for the life of me get the G string to intonate properly.  I can't move the saddle far enough back (TonePros TOM).  It's all the way back and I'm still 6 cents off.  It's so bad that when I tune, then fret at the first fret, it's about 4 cents off already.

I changed strings and the same problem is there so I know it's not a bum string.  Anyone else ever run into this issue and what'd you do to solve it?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Photo Jan 06, 11 21 36 PM.jpg
    Photo Jan 06, 11 21 36 PM.jpg
    520.6 KB · Views: 169
Yea.  I had this happen with my 1979 Les Paul.  Crappy guitar.

I solved it by disassembling the problem bridge saddle and turned it back to front.  Had to re-cut the slot on the saddle (since the gibson had the bridge in the wrong spot the slots on the saddle were all off-center by a few mm).

So when I flip that saddle, I'm obviously going to have to file it a bit yea?  Or no?

rookosu said:
So when I flip that saddle, I'm obviously going to have to file it a bit yea?  Or no?

It depends on the shape and location of the notch in the saddle. If it's centered and rounded over on both sides, then it'll probably be ok. You'll just have to try it and see.
If the string doesn't seem located properly or it seems to hangup on the notch, then you may have make some changes with a file. Good Luck on it.

Ohh, and sorry but I forgot earlier that some of the high quality TOM's had a c clip on the end of the adjustment screw for the foot. That would have to be removed before the screw will thread all the way out to remove the foot. Don't know whether or not your's has that you'll have to check.

For the record, I flipped the saddle and it worked.

That was *VERY* difficult to do.  That threaded washer/nut on the other end of the bridge was just about impossible to grab onto and was locked down so tight that I was worried I was going to strip the screw head.  But eventually, got it.  Thanks for the help!

rookosu said:
For the record, I flipped the saddle and it worked.

That was *VERY* difficult to do.  That threaded washer/nut on the other end of the bridge was just about impossible to grab onto and was locked down so tight that I was worried I was going to strip the screw head.  But eventually, got it.  Thanks for the help!

Probably some type of lock nut or lock tight type substance on it. Glad you got it worked out though. There are so many variations on the TOM any more it's hard to keep track.

Back