Tobacco Burst BK Strat Updates

S

SlartiBartfast

Well, she's getting close to being done. I just need to:

•   Rout out a little space so that the deep panel jack fits in the 1/2" hole enough to get the nut on to hold it in place
  •   Get the right sized bits to drill for the tuner pinholes and install my straplocks
  •   String 'er up, and then it will be time for a professional setup and some fret leveling, crowning, and shaping after she's been under tension for about a week or so.

I thought I'd pass along some updated pictures for anyone interested in seeing what she looks like with my chosen hardware in place.

Attachments

• _MG_8806.JPG
    188.1 KB · Views: 53
  • _MG_8805.JPG
    259.8 KB · Views: 55
Kublai said:
Looks great!

Thanks Kublai! I'm really pleased with the way it turned out (especially considering it's my first build... let the addiction begin!). I can't wait to plug this baby into my Marshall and crank it up.  :guitaristgif:

That thing is gorgeous! I'm really envious of that neck - that's an incredible piece of ebony. I think I might have put a black bridge on there to match the rest of the hardware, but the gold works with the body and neck, both. Plus, it's a good part. Nothing beats a Wilkie, IMO.

Cagey said:
That thing is gorgeous! I'm really envious of that neck - that's an incredible piece of ebony. I think I might have put a black bridge on there to match the rest of the hardware, but the gold works with the body and neck, both. Plus, it's a good part. Nothing beats a Wilkie, IMO.

Thanks Cagey! Believe me, I agonized over whether I should go with a black or gold bridge. In the end, I went with gold because I like that it balances out well (in my opinion) with the black pickups, covers and knobs, and there's also a lot of black and yellow/gold in both the top finish of the guitar and in the variation of grain color in the neck. I'm honestly not much of a gold hardware fan, but in this case, I thought it fit. Super-happy about this project turning out well, and anxious for my J Bass to get here soon!  :blob7:

Just say no to Gold hardware

What you have there is gorgeous. I normally don't like the look of single coil trim rings but on that guitar they fit right in. In my opinion you have crossed into guitar pron territory. Nice work.

ezas said:
What you have there is gorgeous. I normally don't like the look of single coil trim rings but on that guitar they fit right in. In my opinion you have crossed into guitar pron territory. Nice work.

Why thank you, good sir.  :eek:ccasion14:

Looks amazing, I wouldn't hurry on the fret dressing stuff, wouldn't hurt to wait a month for things to settle into place, besides, it probably doesn't need it anyway.

But let us know how it plays before and after the fretwork :)

Alfang said:
Looks amazing, I wouldn't hurry on the fret dressing stuff, wouldn't hurt to wait a month for things to settle into place, besides, it probably doesn't need it anyway.

But let us know how it plays before and after the fretwork :)

Thanks, Alfang! The tech I'm working with has worked on Warmoth parts quite a bit, and he says he's never had to do any fretwork at all. For now, he's just doing a professional setup and the wiring for me. I'm going to give it at least a few weeks under tension and see if the frets end up needing some attention. Warmoth seems to do really high-quality work, but they do say that with their raw necks, it's likely that there will need to be some adjustments with the frets.

SlartiBartfast said:
Warmoth seems to do really high-quality work, but they do say that with their raw necks, it's likely that there will need to be some adjustments with the frets.

It's true, their fretwork is very good, but it is raw. There's no attempt to level them, although I rarely find more than 3 or 4 frets that need attention and it's not dramatic. The serious work is in the dressing/polishing. All they do is grind the ends to a 35 degree angle and call it good. If you like a nice, smooth "hot dog" fret end, someone's gotta do that work.

Great job Slatibartfast  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Loving that fretboard too, perfect amount of Knobs  :toothy10:

You know after seeing you forum name a few weeks back ….. I had to laugh !!  :laughing7:
Even had to go and listen to the original 'The Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy - Don't Panic' and 'The Restaurant at the end of the Universe'
on record, yes on a record player.  :icon_biggrin:  yep I'm one of those oldies  :toothy11:
Got the books and the original 1981 on Video somewhere here too, must watch that again for a good laugh.
Probably a bit before your time thou !!  :dontknow:

Anyway …
I'm sure that Arthur Dent, Trillian, Ford Prefect, Zaphod Beeblebox and Marvin the Paroniod Androird would all give you the  :icon_thumright:  on your guitar
As I do too.  :headbang:

Those not sure what I'm on about  :icon_scratch:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hitchhiker's_Guide_to_the_Galaxy

Updown said:
Great job Slatibartfast  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Loving that fretboard too, perfect amount of Knobs  :toothy10:

You know after seeing you forum name a few weeks back ….. I had to laugh !!  :laughing7:
Even had to go and listen to the original 'The Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy - Don't Panic' and 'The Restaurant at the end of the Universe'
on record, yes on a record player.  :icon_biggrin:  yep I'm one of those oldies  :toothy11:
Got the books and the original 1981 on Video somewhere here too, must watch that again for a good laugh.
Probably a bit before your time thou !!  :dontknow:

Anyway …
I'm sure that Arthur Dent, Trillian, Ford Prefect, Zaphod Beeblebox and Marvin the Paroniod Androird would all give you the  :icon_thumright:  on your guitar
As I do too.  :headbang:

Those not sure what I'm on about  :icon_scratch:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hitchhiker's_Guide_to_the_Galaxy

I love Douglas Adams. Here are some favorite Adams quotes that could apply to this forum:

"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which."

"You live and learn. At any rate, you live."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

"Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works. Anything that’s invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty- five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it. Anything invented after you’re thirty-five is against the natural order of things."

RIP, Mr. Adams.  :)

Mr. Adams was quite insightful. I always liked the one where he says "It was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea". I think of it every time I'm in a voting booth reading acts up for approval. There's often so much misdirection, you can't decide whether to say yes or no to them.

Tobacco Burst on BK has always been one of my favourites. Love the choices you have made here. Looks like a real rocker  :guitarplayer2:

Back