Tobacco burst with black back finish

JohnnyHardtail

I'm planning my first build that uses binding.  In my case it will be a Stratocaster body with Ash laminate and ivoroid binding.

My question is about Warmoth's Tobacco burst with solid black finish on the back of the guitar.  When this is done with binding, is it normal to have a masked line for the solid colour back finish, or will the back finish spray over so it creates a back-burst on the laminated top of the guitar?

I came across these two beautiful examples of Warmoth's tobacco burst on the net.  One is quilted maple and the other is black korina.  Do you think these examples have the back finished in solid black colour?  Otherwise I'm interested to see examples of Tobacco burst where a solid black back finish has been used.  I'm unsure if it would look good with Ash laminate top which may come out lighter in colour.  The alternative is to use transparent brown on the back of the guitar.

Attachments

• tobacco burst pair.jpg
    tobacco burst pair.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 269
Hard to tell in those pics, but I'd say their either black or a very dark brown....... :headbang:

Aaron recently did a video on this very subject - "Hey...That's not binding!"  IIRC, bursts tend to use the back color to wrap around the edge and blend into the burst, but when a laminate top and binding are used, I'm not sure.  I think masked lines might only work with dye jobs, but I could be wrong.  Here's a link:  https://youtu.be/obtOmXiezaA

Aaron's video is good but it doesn't really cover the scenario where binding is used. 
I hope he will make a follow up video that is "Absolutely binding".

When you become a member of #teamtobaccoburst you will be offered several choices of back finish, one of which is black. If the body is solid, the back color will have to burst over to the top. (Essentially becoming the clearly inferior and much less appealing Black-Brown-Yellow Burst.)

OTOH, if you have chosen a lamtop you will have the option to choose "Clean Line", which will end the black right at the edge of the lamtop. If you don't select Clean Line, the black will again burst over to the top, essentially becoming the clearly inferior and much less appealing Black-Brown-Yellow Burst. (And if you do this you should ask yourself why, because the whole schtick with Tobacco Burst is that it doesn't have black on the edges, and only goes to brown. If you didn't want brown on the edges, why did you even sign up for #teamtobaccoburst anyway? Why didn't you just get the clearly inferior and much less appealing Black-Brown-Yellow Burst in the first place? #betrayer #thinkaboutwhatyouvedone)

With Binding, Clean Line is default. The black back finish will end at the binding.

The Aaron said:
With Binding, Clean Line is default. The black back finish will end at the binding.

Thanks Aaron for your detailed response.  I'm glad to get an official ruling on this.

Yo I woke up with a bowl full of freshly squeezed hashed tags but then i read Aaron's post with mouth agape as he put his spoon in my bowl and now they're all gone

I already joined Teamtobaccoburst when I got my Alder body Strat.

I've admiring at the Korina Tele body in this video.  It looks like Black-Brown-Yellow burst, do you agree?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PvUMPq5pds

Back