To drill or not to drill?

Soloshchenko

I'm nearly through finishing my first Warmoth body, was just wondering about the little screws I'll be using the attach the pickguard and bridge etc, is it common practice to drill holes into the front of the guitar first or can I just screw straight in?

I know its a simple question but its only easy when you know I suppose!

The body is mahogany with a maple cap which will be finished in pure tung oil.

Thanks.

you should always pre-drill the holes!

be certain to use the correct size drill bit. I use a caliper to measure the shaft diameter between the threads when determining the correct size bit to use. depending on the wood I'm mounting to, I'll usually go to the smaller /64th inch when forced to choose between bit sizes. when making a choice between a 5/64" or 3/32" hole because the shaft diameter is right between the two, I will usually go with the 5/64" bit ... unless I am drilling an unusually long screw or I am drilling into a significantly hard wood like Ebony.

it's also quite important to provide a center point for drilling. this will minimize wandering when you start the hole

all the best,

R

SkuttleFunk said:
you should always pre-drill the holes!

be certain to use the correct size drill bit. I use a caliper to measure the shaft diameter between the threads when determining the correct size bit to use. depending on the wood I'm mounting to, I'll usually go to the smaller /64th inch when forced to choose between bit sizes. when making a choice between a 5/64" or 3/32" hole because the shaft diameter is right between the two, I will usually go with the 5/64" bit ... unless I am drilling an unusually long screw or I am drilling into a significantly hard wood like Ebony.

it's also quite important to provide a center point for drilling. this will minimize wandering when you start the hole

all the best,

R

Cheers man. I'm pretty handy with a drill these days so hopefully I should be okay.

Back