To all the Queensryche fans in the know....

to make a very long story short:

April 14 - Rumors about Geoff Tate Punching some of his bandmates and threatening Scott Rockenfield (the drummer  ) with a knife just before a show in Sao Paulo

Around June 8th - all the other queensryche members do 2 shows with the Crimson Glory singer (who sounds almost the same as GT in the 80s) under the name "Rising West"

a couple of days later - Rising West announced that they are now Queensryche and that Geoff Tate has been fired

some more days later - Geoff Tate tells his side of the story: getting fired was a big surprise and he will try to stop the others to use the name Queensryche, since he (co)wrote most of the songs. he also mentioned that the other members never bothered to bring any new music to the table and agreed with all business decisions made in the past.  On the Brazil incident, he says that he was told just before the show that they fired his wife (Manager of the band), stepdaughter and other family members that were on the Band's Payroll
Just before walking on stage, Scott rockenfield tells him "we just fired your family and you're next!". Geoff loses it and smacks him on the face... not much else to it according to him.

Yesterday - sworn statements of all 3 other members leaked to blabbermouth and pretty much say the same: Geoff has had a bad temper all along and he and his wife were dictators and would not allow any input from the rest of the band musically. Geoff hates their old (Metal) songs and doesn't want to play them ever (Oddly, I complained that most of their shows were "greatest hits" set lists over the last couple of years - how many times did they do Mindcrime and Empire anniversary tours?)
they also claim that GT sold the rights to make a movie about Operation Mindcrime without their approval.
On the Brazil incident: days before that show they called a meeting to which GT couldn't make it. in order to cut cost, they decided to outsource Management,  merchandise and fan club management to a third party, and to fire GT's wife and family because they were too expensive.
While in Brazil, GT asked about what they did and in return they asked him about the movie rights. he walks away and later before the show completely freaks out and chased and hit his bandmates.. during the show he spits on his band mates  and made some more threats

according to their story, GT is a very violent and angry man... which could be true.. the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.. very sad though to see this awesome band end like this.

From the band's side, sounded like a Yoko influence.  His (Tate's) family seemed heavily involved in the QR machine.  But...with Tate gone, 2 original members, none of which are DeGarmo?  They probably won't retain the name.  And yes, fond memories corrupted.

Wow, that is crazy. I'm a huge fan and have every album, even the "newer ones." Actually, I don't have the latest one, but the reviews I've read haven't been exactly great. I'm almost afraid to listen to it. Anyway, he's one of the all-time metal singers, it will be interesting to see what happens going forward.

I always thought Chris DeGarmo was the driving force in that band and I could hear a huge change when he left.

Tate was the VOICE, DeGarmo was the SOUND. Without either of them, Queensryche is no more.  :tard:

One of my all time favorite bands, I really hate to see them go down this way. :sad1:

Todd La Torre does a better Geoff Tate than Geoff Tate does.  I read the blabbermouth legal text, and according to the way the business side is laid out, the Band will buy him out which is a condition of the contract.  From the way Tate was acting you have to wonder what was going on from his side.  The temper and control/paranoia do give me that creepy feeling that something is amiss.  Anyways, this is kind of fun...
Patrick

My wife works at a hotel and Queensryche stayed. She says GT is a total douche. He didnt want anyone to make eye contact with him. It was in their porfolio. I think its more of a case of LSD than anything else.

and GT's response today!!!

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=176754&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

he doesn't sound so bad now... but lets see what the next response from the other 3 is!

Good article but why is there a pic of Howie Mandell at the bottom?  ??? :laughing7:

Today it is Geoff's Wife's turn!!!

Very interesting read!
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=176794&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I was always wondering what kind of money an "80s" musician earns from touring now that there is no money to be made from selling records..

I'm not sure there was ever any money to be made from records unless you were a label or a Led Zeppelin/Beatles/Rolling Stones-class mega-band with years of staying power.

Patrick from Davis said:
Todd La Torre does a better Geoff Tate than Geoff Tate does.  I read the blabbermouth legal text, and according to the way the business side is laid out, the Band will buy him out which is a condition of the contract.  From the way Tate was acting you have to wonder what was going on from his side.  The temper and control/paranoia do give me that creepy feeling that something is amiss.  Anyways, this is kind of fun...
Patrick

+1, he's the nicest guy in the world too, totally humble.

All relative documents found here, updated as they come since they are public record:
http://www.anybodylistening.net/breakdownroom/index.php?topic=2906.0

Looking at the docket I am reminded why I am glad I am no longer a litigation attorney. 

Motions shortening time on motions to strike initial responsive pleadings for being two days late?  Yeah, right.  Try and take a default judgement on the strength of your complaint alone, only weeks into the litigation.  B.S. gamesmanship.  The attempt was appropriate (and no doubt lucrative to the attorneys) as far as it goes, but still... I'd rather play guitar.

"I must say that, as a litigant, I should dread a lawsuit beyond almost anything short of sickness and death." -- Judge Learned Hand

I went to the Rising West show on June 9th... Todd kicks ass... Also went to GT on the following Saturday in Port Townsend, sorry but ain't really got it any more. I am happy to see/hear QR rocking out more like they did in the early days... Just my 2 cents...

Back