Threaded inserts - neck/body attachment

I don't see a 15/64" diameter hole being an issue for the typical Fender style guitar neck with typical screw spacing. I would be concerned with zinc inserts cracking/breaking when installing them into a Maple neck - they would definitely need something more substantial than just a slot to twist them into self tapping threads IMO.

all the best,

R

Great article, SkuttleFunk, and a cool discussion as well. I'd just like to add that "Dieselbilly" king Bill Kirchen (of "Hot Rod Lincoln" fame) has had these installed in his Tele for years, and when he travels by air he pulls the neck off and fits the whole guitar into a large briefcase that he carries on. He doesn't even remove the strings. The complete kit that he uses is available at Vintique: http://www.vintique.com/www.vintique.com/neckkits.html The kit is designed for a Tele, but I don't know why it wouldn't work for any other 4 screw bolt on. (Yes, that URL does feature "www.vintique.com" twice. It's not a typo.)

I remember this thread the other day and forgot to post again but the new version of the Fender Yngwie Malmsteen Strat has threaded neck inserts now.

Back