This is why my tone is bad.

It's just a weird comparison. I've got an iPhone (my 3rd, new one is on the way), an iPad (my 2nd) and a MacBook pro. The hardware on all of them is really lovely. I don't like OSX as much as Windows 7, so my next laptop probably won't be an Apple. But I don't know what MS have got to do with the fact that, for instance, my Dell laptop is a cheap crap bit of plastic.

Jumble Jumble said:
It's just a weird comparison. I've got an iPhone (my 3rd, new one is on the way), an iPad (my 2nd) and a MacBook pro. The hardware on all of them is really lovely. I don't like OSX as much as Windows 7, so my next laptop probably won't be an Apple. But I don't know what MS have got to do with the fact that, for instance, my Dell laptop is a cheap crap bit of plastic.

I've owned TWO Dell PCs (we do have a Dell laptop), TWO Hewlett Packards, and our MacBook Pro.  The soundcard or something went bad in the Mac, which cost over $200 to replace.  Despite that "mishap," it has outlasted every single one of those four computers, save for the Dell laptop we got about 6-8 months ago.  The ONLY reason we got the Dell laptop was because some things are troublesome to run with an Apple.  The Dell is a $400 "cheapie."  We don't expect it to last more than about two years, at the most.

I don't have ANYTHING positive to say about ANY Microsoft-based PCs we've owned or anyone else I know have owned. 

Microsoft doesn't make PCs of any type so there's no such thing as a "Microsoft-based PC". They're a software developer of consumer-grade operating systems and a limited number of applications. They do source some hardware, like keyboards, mice and game machines, but they don't make that stuff. It's all made in China.

Actually, Apple doesn't make PCs of any type, either. They're all made in China. So are their phones.

Dell assembles PCs of several types, but the parts all come from China, and the OS installed on the vast majority of them is the stuff Microsoft sells. This type of thing may be what you're calling "Microsoft-based".

Cagey said:
Microsoft doesn't make PCs of any type so there's no such thing as a "Microsoft-based PC". They're a software developer of consumer-grade operating systems and a limited number of applications. They do source some hardware, like keyboards, mice and game machines, but they don't make that stuff. It's all made in China.

Actually, Apple doesn't make PCs of any type, either. They're all made in China. So are their phones.

Dell assembles PCs of several types, but the parts all come from China, and the OS installed on the vast majority of them is the stuff Microsoft sells. This type of thing may be what you're calling "Microsoft-based".

This is exactly what I'm saying...a Microsoft-based computer.  Apple hardware/software is all designed to work in conjunction with each other.  The non-apple stuff thrown in Microsoft-based computers are all manufactured and developed by numerous sources.  There are too many fingers in the pie, so to speak.

When I buy an Apple product, I know it's going to work.  I don't need to worry about messing with drivers, configurations, or any other mess.  The same can't be said of the stuff I'd purchased for my Microsoft-based PCs in the past.

Daze of October said:
Cagey said:

This is exactly what I'm saying...a Microsoft-based computer.  Apple hardware/software is all designed to work in conjunction with each other.  The non-apple stuff thrown in Microsoft-based computers are all manufactured and developed by numerous sources.  There are too many fingers in the pie, so to speak.

When I buy an Apple product, I know it's going to work.  I don't need to worry about messing with drivers, configurations, or any other mess.  The same can't be said of the stuff I'd purchased for my Microsoft-based PCs in the past.
You just have to pay four times more for something that doesn't support/isn't supported by other manufacturers.
Patrick

Wyliee said:
Hmmm..... Where is this thread headed???

Time for a friendly beer???

Apparently, a couple of people that have no real clue about computer hardware/operating system architecture want to start some Apple vs. PC shit, you should banish them to techcrunch.com or something...

jackthehack said:
Wyliee said:
Hmmm..... Where is this thread headed???

Time for a friendly beer???

Apparently, a couple of people that have no real clue about computer hardware/operating system architecture want to start some Apple vs. PC shite, you should banish them to techcrunch.com or something...

I've never really understood why people become devout with their Apple love or hate. If you like Apple, great! Buy their products and enjoy your life while everyone else buys what they want. If you don't like Apple, great! Don't buy their products and enjoy your life while everyone else buys what they want.

dude guys.. i was talking about apple lawsuits against android manufacturers. i hate apple devices for other reasons and don't use them. (it's the interface, totally not my cup of tea)  but i'm not gonna get into an argument over "ease of use" here. it's not relevant to the thread. but i hate apple the company (regardless of device quality or whatever) for the frivilous law suits. that's something i think jack knows a bit about. would love to hear his opinions since he is both an apple user and works for a company they target in the lawsuits (yet still get much of their mobile technology from, rumors are that there is exynos 32nm arcitecture at the heart of the new "a6" that powers the i5 but i'm not sure if that information is accurate or current)

I don't like Apple, don't like most of their products, and certainly don't like the trendy people that use them, but I do like iPhones, and have been using one for the past four years. I just happen to think that Apple's approach to very simple and elegant operating systems suits cell phones well. Of course, I'm not super picky with my phone, either. People usually assume that because I have my OCD-ish issues with being connected to internet-land all the time, I must have a **** load of apps, but I don't. I mostly use my phone for internet and emailing, then only a handful of apps like Pandora, Shazam, Netflix, Flickr, mobile banking, etc. (The alarm clock is my least favorite frequently used app, however.) Computers are a different story. An iMac or a MacBook or what have you most certainly does not suit my needs, and I have been with Microsoft operating systems since the beginning. I don't know how people can be happy with a Mac, but nonetheless, I don't care. I work with what suits me and my needs.

They're a software developer of consumer-grade operating systems and a limited number of applications
Dude, there is an unbelievable amount of mission-critical enterprise software running on Windows, using SQL Server and so on. However, their server products are "boring" and certainly never feature in any Apple vs MS debates, due to the fact that Apple don't seem to make anything you could actually run a big business on. Apple are entirely consumer-focused, hence design being so far at the front of their priorities.

I tend to build my own Windows PCs and I have several that have been on for years with only a few reboots. Because Windows runs on many systems, it's possible to get crappy ones. However, I think you'll find if you spend the amount of money a MacBook Pro costs on a PC laptop, you'll get a nice bit of kit and it will fail about as often (however, I don't consider a $200 repair trivial).

And then don't download a new application and install it every single day. Doing that to either a Mac or a PC is what kills it.

I've used both now, and to me, there's no big deal. It's like using a blue pen vs a black one. The only thing that makes me lean towards Windows is the fact that I can code for it, so if it doesn't do something I want it to do, I can make it.

For anyone else who asks me which they should get, I just say to try them both and see which they prefer. It's a long time since Windows was "the slow OS that crashes a lot".

Anyone that says one is better than the other probably doesn't have enough experience with the one they're trashing. They're both very good indeed.

Back