This is why my tone is bad.

line6man

Epic Member
I don't have these yet.
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-971-cable-elevators.aspx
cable%20elevators%20IMG_3259%202.jpg

:dontknow:

SustainerPlayer said:
Yeah. Hifi-nerds makes guitar-nerds look like normal people.

This is serious business!
Regardless of make or model, all cables create some form of electrical field around them.  In free air, the field is a roughly cylindrical shape around the girth of the cable.  However, when cables are placed on a boundary, such as a floor, the field becomes compressed, distorting the signal.

I managed to cancel out the magnetic field with other fancy gadgets, but the electrical field around my cables is what's compressing my signal and making it distort. I've ordered a bunch of these things, and I'm looking forward to the elevation in my musical experience. I figure every dollar I spend will make it better, so I'm emptying out my wallet joyously.

line6man said:

I know. These people debates which way the electrons flow through the cables. You know - on good cables the electrons run on the outside of the core! You can hear it.

SustainerPlayer said:
line6man said:

I know. These people debates which way the electrons flow through the cables. You know - on good cables the electrons run on the outside of the core! You can hear it.

In AC circuits, electrons actually do travel along the outer circumference of a circular conductor, and not the core. Google the skin effect.This is the physics the cable companies use to market all that fancy multiconductor cable nonsense, but most people know that it's actually not significant in the real world.

Their $118 "clear" USB cable  on that same page verbiage is even more stoopid: "With greater air, definition, bottom octave power and control and of course, the glorious Cardas midrange presence that is the hallmark of Cardas designs."

jackthehack said:
Their $118 "clear" USB cable  on that same page verbiage is even more stoopid: "With greater air, definition, bottom octave power and control and of course, the glorious Cardas midrange presence that is the hallmark of Cardas designs."

No, you're doing it wrong. Don't worry about USB cables just yet. It's more important to focus on your power.
I recommend a few of these.
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-7399-oyaide-xxx-purple-wall-outlet-gold-palladium.aspx

...you will be amazed at the improvement a great wall outlet will bring to your system.

Oh yes! You shall be amazed!

Note that even hospital grade receptacles do not cost that much.  :dontknow:
(Gearboxty, this means that music is more important than life, as your religion has always told us. :blob7:)

I mean, SURE, metal prices are up, but four strands of pure elemental silver wire would still be a helluva lot cheaper than that, even with their awesometacular "cold welding" (what appears to be conductive glue) process.

jackthehack said:
Bagman67 said:
line6man said:

That's for the five-foot version.  I wonder how much for 10 feet.
No 10 footers, an 8 ft. runs $27,800. I want their customer list for those cables, I have any number of great investments to sell them...
These people sound like the market I am after to sell my Beach Front Property in Arizona.  It is priced to sell, and I am pretty sure they are a perfect match.
Patrick

Patrick from Davis said:
jackthehack said:
Bagman67 said:
line6man said:

That's for the five-foot version.  I wonder how much for 10 feet.
No 10 footers, an 8 ft. runs $27,800. I want their customer list for those cables, I have any number of great investments to sell them...
These people sound like the market I am after to sell my Beach Front Property in Arizona.  It is priced to sell, and I am pretty sure they are a perfect match.
Patrick

Arizona has some of the best beaches in the country, but I've never been a big fan of the snow. Mostly because I can't afford the equipment to maintain the temperature, humidity and concentration of airborne fairydust to keep my audio systems sounding great all year.

I just browsed around this music direct page. I can't stop laughing...
A power cord for 150 bucks?
Hell, why not?

Oh wait. I'll better buy this one, only 339$. But, you'll get a sophisticated sounding product and:
Vishnu offers superb sound stage and increased dynamic range in the audio arena. When used with video components, previously unsuspected color, detail, depth and edge definition are revealed.

I wonder what kind of music audiophile people listen to. To some extent I know as I do SACD-mastering from time to time... Not pleasant, believe me.

edit: I just sorted power cables - price high to low. And I thought the above was already way out...

line6man said:
jackthehack said:

No, you're doing it wrong. Don't worry about USB cables just yet. It's more important to focus on your power.
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-7399-oyaide-xxx-purple-wall-outlet-gold-palladium.aspx

...you will be amazed at the improvement a great wall outlet will bring to your system.

(Gearboxty, this means that music is more important than life, as your religion has always told us. :blob7:)

Make sure you get the $250 Carbon Fiber faceplate to go with it!

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-7398-oyaide-carbon-fiber-wall-plate-without-outlet.aspx

NQbass7 said:
line6man said:
jackthehack said:

Make sure you get the $250 Carbon Fiber faceplate to go with it!

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-7398-oyaide-carbon-fiber-wall-plate-without-outlet.aspx

The AC plug is the first link in your entire audio system, don't skimp on the A/C connection!

The power provided to you from the power company, through your city's transmission lines and through your building's wiring is perfect. From the AC outlet onward (And that's "AC," not "A/C," btw.), however, you are responsible for how much money you spend on gimmicks and overpriced nonsense to maintain that perfect power.

Note that to the casual observer, it may appear that the wall plate is not actually fully shielded, because of the two openings for the outlets. There is actually no explanation for this- just have faith that they are indeed fully shielded, and your audio system will sound better because you think it does.

When people work so hard to delude themselves against all efforts from the community, and seek to  differentiate themselves from their peers by how much money they spent - it's almost your duty to help relieve them of their money.

swarfrat said:
When people work so hard to delude themselves against all efforts from the community, and seek to  differentiate themselves from their peers by how much money they spent - it's almost your duty to help relieve them of their money.

This.  I want to be the guy that sells the gimmick.  Just as long as I don't start believing the hype I'll be fine.  :icon_jokercolor:

Back