theft and resale of a warmoth (not an actual case, but a thought!)

Orpheo

Suppose a guy comes to my house while I'm asleep, and he steals my warmoths and gibsons; first of all, I'd break his arms, legs and nose, but secondly, I'd wonder. my gibsons can be sold for 'good money', but my warmoths...? what kind of thief woul steal custombuild guitars? they cant be sold, not really, though. those guitars are custom, because there isnt a high demand for guitars like that, so, why would somebody steal a custombuild guitar? what are your thoughts about that?

That the person stealing them won't know his ass from a hole in the ground and is probably going to sell them all for crack money at a 100th of the cost. 

Lucky #7 said:
That the person stealing them won't know his ass from a hole in the ground and is probably going to sell them all for crack money at a 100th of the cost. 

+1 usually is this...

if your LP's live in their cases he wont be able to tell the diff anyway....you do have cases for all your axes, right?

Brian

In that case it wouldn't be a big surprise if it was someone you knew.  Someone who simply wanted what you had for themselves but knew they couldn't afford.

Perhaps he is a guitar player himself, and just wanted your nice warmoths?
On the other hand, even if they aren't in high demand, I they sell on eBay for a decent price, and could probably go for at the right pawn shop for 200$ a piece, which depending on the motives could be enough.

If it got stolen from your house at night, it was probably a crackhead who will immediately pawn it for $100.
If it got stolen at a gig or in transit or something, it was probably a guitarist who liked it or thought it was a Gibson.

That's pretty much it... nobody will steal your gear but crackheads and guitarists.  :laughing7:

I once had a $1200 Godin and a $150 Epiphone both stolen at a party, I assume they we're sold for junk. I also had a Gibon Les Paul stolen that I know was sold for junk (damn junkie band member). The point is, if someone needs a fix anything that's not nailed down goes in their arm.

If a Gibson LP and a Warmoth wound up at the crackhouse they would probably both fetch between $20-$50 dollars each. In fact, the Warmoth would probably get more because it's so much prettier.

I had my dead mint '63 Silvertone bass stolen in the late 80's at a time it was worth next to nothing. if someone is going to risk getting caught stealing a Silvertone why not also a W?

R

Orpheo said:
Suppose a guy comes to my house while I'm asleep, and he steals my warmoths and gibsons; first of all, I'd break his arms, legs and nose, but secondly, I'd wonder. my gibsons can be sold for 'good money', but my warmoths...? what kind of thief woul steal custombuild guitars? they cant be sold, not really, though. those guitars are custom, because there isnt a high demand for guitars like that, so, why would somebody steal a custombuild guitar? what are your thoughts about that?

Do what I do and buy a German Shepherd... you wont need to even get up to break his arms and legs. Best investment ever.

The nature of the thief is to steal it first and ask questions later.  If a home was broken into and only the gear stolen, it was a musician.  If other things are gone, they are all now at the pawn shop.  Whether it's a Gibson or Warmoth, doesn't matter the actual value, because the crackhead now has more money than he did.  Pawn shops that know they're buying hot gear understand the guy doesn't know what he has, so he'll take anything for it.

Back