My optimistic take on Warmoth resale value

spauldingrules

I've built 5 Warmoths.  Finished all the necks myself.  I still have two, which I really bonded with, and sold 3, which played great but weren't as good as the two I still have (to me - they were just as good quality, of course, and my friend actually liked them more). 

I have to say I am very please with the resale ON EBAY.  I parted out all the ones I wanted to sell, and I came within 10 percent of breaking even overall on the parts I've sold.  I always buy the $157 bodies though - they play just as good.  The fancier the finish, the more you will lose if you need to sell it.  Luckily I am a basics kinda guy!  If you finish the neck/body yourself, and stick to relatively common hardware choices, I think the resale is as good as a Fender (on ebay - quite different on CL or local sales, I'm sure).  People gripe about ebay, but think about the market they bring to your house!

You need to part it out, though.  Fully assembled = MUCH smaller market.  People don't need replacement guitars - they need replacement pickups/necks etc.

Anyway, just one man's experience.  Don't let resale deter you from building one.  If it's your first, you should be buying basic parts anyway and save the exotics for future builds.

- spaulding

Absolutely. My other thread wasn't meant as a knock against Warmoth in any way. To be honest, I've never understood people who build guitars (or do anything, really) with resale value in mind. But like you said, that Warmoth may have cost you $1,200, but that doesn't mean you'll get $1,200 dollars for it as-is. Part it out, and you just might break even.

ErogenousJones said:
Absolutely. My other thread wasn't meant as a knock against Warmoth in any way. To be honest, I've never understood people who build guitars (or do anything, really) with resale value in mind. But like you said, that Warmoth may have cost you $1,200, but that doesn't mean you'll get $1,200 dollars for it as-is. Part it out, and you just might break even.

+1

Back