The wait is killing me!

Godzooky75

How long did you wait for your guitar to arrive?  What's the realistic wait time?

I ordered a custom neck and body March 26... two weeks down; I'm assuming I have 4-6 more to go... 

Model: Chambered Telecaster®
Orientation: Right handed
F-Holes: None
Scale: 25-1/2"
Wood: Flame Maple on Mahogany
Rout: Rear Rout
Pickup Rout: Strat® (Neck), Strat® (Middle), Strat® (Bridge)
Controls: X-T-T-5 (Strat®)
Bridge: Fender® American Standard Flat Mount
Jack Rout: 1/2" (13mm) Side Jack Hole
Neck Pocket: Strat® Shape
Mounting Holes: Standard 4 Bolt
Contours: Contoured Heel / Tummy Cut / Forearm Contour
Binding: Pearloid Binding
Top Finish: Aqua Marine Dye
Back Finish: Transparent Blue
Finish Type: Gloss Finish

Style: Stratocaster®
Construction: Modern Construction
Orientation: Right Handed
Neck Wood: Indian Rosewood
Fingerboard Wood: Ebony (Black)
Nut Width: 1-3/4"
Back Shape: Standard thin
Fret Size: SS6105 (Stainless)
Tuner Ream: Schaller (25/64")
Radius: 10-16" Compound
Scale: 25-1/2"
Fret #: 22
Mounting Holes: Standard 4 Bolt
Pre-Cut Installed String Nut: White Corian - Standard Nut
Inlays: Azurite Malachite Dots
Side Dots: Black Side Dots
Binding: Pearloid

Mockup attached.

Attachments

• guitar-mockup.jpg
    guitar-mockup.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 282
Yeah, there's a wait but it passes and then you have your parts. I think mine took about 6 weeks.

From your mock-up, it's going to look great. Congrats. Hang in there.

I've gotten custom necks in as little as 4 weeks. Assuming that the neck won't be getting sprayed because it doesn't need a finish should save you some time. The body is gonna take a bit though. It super sucks and waiting is an annoyance but at the end of it all you have a truly custom instrument that suits you to a T.
Hang in there.

Custom finished body and custom bare neck ordered together in January - took 10 weeks and one day to ship.

Welcome to the forum!

Parts with finishes almost always take a long time. A common mistake many DIY finishers make is not giving the finish enough time to cure before moving on to the next step, but it's crucial. That's where all the time goes - waiting for the finish to be hard enough to buff/polish properly.

Cagey said:
Welcome to the forum!

Parts with finishes almost always take a long time. A common mistake many DIY finishers make is not giving the finish enough time to cure before moving on to the next step, but it's crucial. That's where all the time goes - waiting for the finish to be hard enough to buff/polish properly.

Understood. I’d certainly prefer it be done right rather than quickly...

My custom finished body and neck arrived in 7 weeks.  The waiting is the hardest part.  I did obtain all of the hardware in advance so when I received the body, neck and pickguard I was ready to assemble.  I also had a junk pickguard that I used to pre-wire the pots and pups which saved some time.  Be prepared to spend some time touching up the fret ends.  I fully masked the fretboard with painter's tape and used a diamond crowning file and Stew Mack fret end file followed with micro-mesh pads (9 grades 1500-12,000).  That alone took about 3 hours.  But I did have an amazing looking and playing guitar assembled in one day.  Warmoth pre-finished parts are top notch quality and having a custom guitar is well worth the wait.

It's shipped!  6 weeks to the day - faster than expected!  Should be here May 10!  :turtle:

Back