The Kentocaster (black korina + canary)

To "superfine", I wanna add a starting value to that; 600 grit at the scratchiest! -Or just check in on Cagey's thread on burnishing and take it all the way! (-That's when ya gotta get that cheesey sci-fi/horror film goin'!)

Really nice! I think you're gonna love that Korina body! I was watching it for a while myself.  :icon_thumright:

I'm glad to give you GAS (not like that). The neck is taking longer to finish than expected. Hopefully it will ship next week. As long as it's worth the wait i don't mind!

Still no word on the shipment. Got a mail on Friday saying they were gonna ask the shop lead what was taking so long. I want to play it cool like it's no big deal, but I can't stop thinking about getting started. I've gotten all the tools I think are necessary and cleaned my fathers garage so that I can get cracking the moment it gets delivered

Come on, Warmoth! I want my baby!  :blob7:

edit: shipped today!

How about "Korinary".... that made my heart stop....  :glasses10: Sweet guitar..... it will be worth the wait!!!

First update!

A picture to set the mood
n1.jpg

Neck fastened

n0.jpg

Used two sorts of reamers for the tuning machine holes
n2.jpg

n3.jpg

Like a glove

n4.jpg

Making it as straight as I can

n5b.jpg

n5c.jpg

n6.jpg

n7.jpg

n8.jpg

n8b.jpg

n7b.jpg

Turned out pretty good
n9.jpg

n9a.jpg

Need leveling. Neck had a bit of a bend to it. Figured I'd attach it to the body and see how It will react to string tension first
n9b.jpg

String ferrules time
o1.jpg

o2.jpg

o3.jpg

o4.jpg

Bridge and strings
o5.jpg

o6.jpg

o7.jpg

Split copper pipe with rubber wrapped around it = strings on in 5 min  :icon_biggrin:
o8.jpg

o9.jpg

Now my baby will rest for a few days while I do school work. I wonder how the neck reacts to the tension  :dontknow:
o9b.jpg

WOW! It looks amazing so far! Can't wait to see it finished.

:kewlpics: :kewlpics: :kewlpics:

>> Now my baby will rest for a few days while I do school work. I wonder how the neck reacts to the tension  :dontknow:

If it's a "Pro" style neck, it's unlikely to move at all. Those things are incredibly stable. I punish them here by putting them out in the garage for a week or so where the temperature/humidity fluctuates to extremes and I rarely have to adjust them afterword.

Fret work time

First thing: Get that neck straight

1a.jpg

1b.jpg

1c.jpg

1c2.jpg

Before and after truss rod adjustment
1c3.jpg

1c3b.jpg

All taped up

1c4.jpg

1d.jpg

Leveling those frets (400 -600 - 800 grit)
1e.jpg

1e2.jpg

Flat and nice
2b2.jpg

2b3.jpg

Dealing with the fret ends
2b4.jpg

Pointing to one being done, the others are not yet touched
3c.jpg

Some MacGyver tools I used together with sandpaper (400-800-1200) for removing the flat spots
3d.jpg

3e.jpg

One fret done
4a.jpg

Three frets done
4b.jpg

0000 Steel wool to look for scratches made by the sandpaper
4c.jpg

4d.jpg

Also polished the frets, but forgot to take pictures

Tape off
4e.jpg

5a.jpg

5b.jpg

5c.jpg

That is coming along nicely. I really think you're going to be surprised by how much you like this guitar when it's done.  :eek:ccasion14:

I love the fact that you don't hesitate to build your own tools! I think I would have cut the notches in the other side of that straight-edge ( :dontknow: just my preference), but I will definitely try out your design for that string winder!

One trick I found to speed up polishing the stainless frets is using Dremel abrasive buffs like these:
61H8XKTMFWL.jpg

I use the medium and fine grits, and it takes almost no time at all.

My frets are not stainless steel though. But a machine would probably take an hour off the work either way  :laughing3: Noted for my next build!  :hello2:

Did a little work today also:

I started the day off by installing the strap-holders. Bottom one first

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

a4.jpg

a5.jpg

Then the 'horn'

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

b3.jpg

b4.jpg

b7b.jpg

b5.jpg

b6.jpg

b7.jpg

b8.jpg

Turned out good in my book
b9.jpg

b9b.jpg

Copper shield. A real pain in the butt if you ask me...
c1.jpg

c2.jpg

Grounded the bridge and the shielding
c3b.jpg

c4.jpg

c6.jpg

c7.jpg

That's it for now. Hopefully she will be ready after my next session!  :hello2: 

UglyCasanova said:
Copper shield. A real pain in the butt if you ask me...

Then don't install it. Neither you, your amp or recording devices will notice if it isn't there. Stuff is only good for pictures. Other than that, it's a waste of time.

Cagey said:
Then don't install it. Neither you, your amp or recording devices will notice if it isn't there. Stuff is only good for pictures. Other than that, it's a waste of time.

I just wanted to go all in, sort of speak. I'm never doing it again  :toothy12:

One thing to be aware of when you have done shielding, is to make sure that none of the hot wires or terminals or especially when plugging in a lead it's tip, cannot short on the shielding. Use some insulating material to avoid it especially in the jack recess.

This is were english as a second language fails for me. Do you mean that I should cover the copper in the jackplate so that the hot wire and the tip of the Jack does not make contact with the shielding?

UglyCasanova said:
This is were english as a second language fails for me. Do you mean that I should cover the copper in the jackplate so that the hot wire and the tip of the Jack does not make contact with the shielding?

Yes...

Back