The Kentocaster (black korina + canary)

UglyCasanova

Hello everyone.

My first build ever is on its way from Warmoth, all the way to Norway. I will keep this post updated as I go along and ask questions if I can't find it while searching the forums.

I was originally just on the lookout for a neck for an old Squire Bullet body I've had laying around, but then I figured I'd see how much a full warmoth build would be. An hour later I found myself suffering from serious GAS and sent the order. Been living on soup and noodles for a week now, so hopefully it will be worth it, haha!

- Quartersawn Canary Neck (raw)
- 22 frets
- 10-16" compound radius
- Standard thin
- Fret size 6150
- Cream face dots
- White side dots
- Vintage style tuner rim (will have chrome vintage style Gotohs)
- GraphTech Black TUSQ XL - Standard Nut

SN14439A.jpg

- Chambered black korina
- SSS
- Tummy cut + forearm contour
- Hardtail (chrome Fender)
- Clear gloss finish
- Chrome jack plate/ neck plate/ strap holders. Black string ferrules
- Planet Waves Stereo Jack, Gold Plated.

PS8911A.jpg

And I have this 920D custom pickguard I thought of using. Bought both chrome and black screws. I think I will go with black, but not 100% sure

Neck: Fender custom shop fat '50
Middle: Fender custom shop '69
Bridge: Seymour Duncan SSL-5

448c1bc0-7a11-456d-b224-cac9a452c090.jpg

bilde3-1.jpg

I'm not a very handy or technical person, so my dad will be helping me out with the build. He is not into guitars, but he had built wooden furniture, cars and knows his soldering.

If anyone has any basic tricks, questions or "should reads" for this build, please don't hesitate to post!

Nice choices! I had been eyeing that BK body for quite some time. Great neck choice too. Your gonna have a beauty in your hands soon!  :icon_biggrin:

I think it's going to look killer. So much so that I did you a couple of very rough mockups.

Obviously the neck will look better with frets!

I did the Aged White pickups/knobs version because I've just finished this Partscaster and I was really pleased with the Aged White on Black look:

Either would look great though.

I also deliberated on screws with my Warmoth build as well, but in the end I felt that chrome screws reflect more light and generally add more "bling". Cheap enough to try both though!

Sp4zRX: I will try to do it justice!

Thank you ever so much, Tony! I've been trying to picture the setup in my head (because I don't have photoshop on my computer), but those mockups make me that more excited to get my hands on it. I have to say that I agree with you on the aged white pick ups/knobs. That looks really good on your guitar! I will have to visit my local guitar shop and see if they have any leftover knobs and pickup covers for me. Thank you for sharing!

Welcome to the forum,  I think that's going to look cool when it's done. I did a build diary a little while ago which you might like to read. Some of it won't apply as you don't need a finish on your neck  but there are still some good discussions in the thread...

http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=22445.0

And for polishing raw necks,

http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=19901.0

I've read the thread on polishing raw necks, but your build thread is sure to help me along. Thank you for the links and the warm welcome  :icon_biggrin:

UglyCasanova said:
Sp4zRX: I will try to do it justice!

Thank you ever so much, Tony! I've been trying to picture the setup in my head (because I don't have photoshop on my computer), but those mockups make me that more excited to get my hands on it. I have to say that I agree with you on the aged white pick ups/knobs. That looks really good on your guitar! I will have to visit my local guitar shop and see if they have any leftover knobs and pickup covers for me. Thank you for sharing!

My pleasure. I think we might have similar tastes in guitars. Actually I don't have Photoshop either, I did that on PowerPoint!

You can get sets of Fender knobs and pickup covers very easily in eBay, or of course from Warmoth.

UglyCasanova said:
I've read the thread on polishing raw necks, but your build thread is sure to help me along. Thank you for the links and the warm welcome  :icon_biggrin:

Your welcome...

Sweet chunk o' korina! -Love the red stripes! To get that neck to burnish well, I think ya hafta watch a cheesey low-budget sci-fi/horror flick while doing so; I highly recommend The Lost Skeleton of Cadavera!  :icon_jokercolor:

My only two-cents is that black 'guards gotsta has black screws... makes it look oooh so clean!  :icon_thumright:

Welcome aboard!

I think Day-mun might be right about the black screws:

Although I note that you've got an 11 screw pickguard - there's only 8 in my mockup because I used the stock image of the body you posted up.

Looks like I'm in for a lot of decision making...  :tard:

I got the 11 hole pickguard about a year ago so it wasn't planned. I figured I could just drill more holes in the body, unless the alignment of the pre-drilled holes on the body differs from the ones on a 11 hole pickguard. Haven't really thought of that :sad:

The pickguard will cover any extra holes you drill, but you could easily buy an 8 hole pickguard if you wanted to.

Oh yeah, you mentioned getting vintage style tuners. I would give serious consideration to a set of TonePro Klusons. They are a far superior update to the vintage tuners commonly installed on Fenders.

Here's a link to my post on them in my build thread:

http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=22286.msg333037#msg333037

I have those on my RS Guitarworks blackguard tele. They're great, but I wanted to try something new, so I'll give the Gotohs a go :icon_thumright:

The RS for those interested: http://www.tdpri.com/forum/5049706-post1.html

Normally the holes for pickguards aren't predrilled, so the 11 hold pickguard should be fine...

UglyCasanova said:
...but I wanted to try something new, so I'll give the Gotohs a go :icon_thumright:

You talkin' 'bout the vintage tuners available on W's site? -I've installed a few sets of those and have nothing bad to say about 'em. -Excellent tuning stability, and they look great... nothin' cheap about 'em but the price tag!

Nice! Yours will look a lot like mine.  :eek:ccasion14:

Black Korina + Canary just looks and sounds great!

http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=21598.0

2013-04-03-3695.jpg

Day-mun said:
You talkin' 'bout the vintage tuners available on W's site? -I've installed a few sets of those and have nothing bad to say about 'em. -Excellent tuning stability, and they look great... nothin' cheap about 'em but the price tag!

Yes, those are the ones. That's great to hear! :glasses9:

ghostrider25 said:

Haha, I actually googled the wood combination and read through your thread both here and on the strat-talk forum. Great looking guitar and an inspiration for my own build. Cheers indeed!  :eek:ccasion14:

UglyCasanova said:
Day-mun said:

Yes, those are the ones. That's great to hear! :glasses9:

ghostrider25 said:

Haha, I actually googled the wood combination and read through your thread both here and on the strat-talk forum. Great looking guitar and an inspiration for my own build. Cheers indeed!  :eek:ccasion14:

Cool. It's a great combo. You won't be disappointed  :icon_thumright:

Oh, and make sure to rub the back of that neck with some super fine sand paper. Oooooh man, it makes it even better!

Back