The Hype

Tonar8352

I just received a DeTemple Titanium Strat Bridge and it got me to thinking about things that have or have not lived up to the hype.  I spent $402.00 dollars on this thing and it came without screws or springs.  I have not put it into the guitar yet so I don’t know if it will live up to the hype on his web sight but I was disappointed that it came without springs and screws. I hope it does what they say because that is a chunk of change for a bridge. Anyway here are my lists of things to build guitars (I could go on for days about amps and stomp boxes so we will exclude them) that have lived up to the hype in my opinion and those that have not

First the ones that have lived up to the hype.
1. Warmoth Bodies and Necks.
2. Glendale Tele Bridges and Saddles. 
3. Cryogenically Frozen Fralin Pickups from Callaham Guitars.
4. Callaham Strat Bridges.
5. Callaham Vintage Style Pickguards.  The mint and parchment Strat guards and the Lacquered Tele Blackguard.
6. RS Guitar Works 280K Volume Pots.
7. McFadden’s Lacquers.
8. Don Mare Tele Pickups model #2324.  I am not sure I love them but they match what Don say they do.  I think I like the Duncan Real 54 neck pickup and the Duncan Jerry Donahue bridge pickup better.
9. Original Joe Barden pickups.
10.   Real 59 PAF Pickups.

Here are the ones that did not make the grade.
1. Kluson reissue vintage style tuners.  My understanding is that Tone-Pros has bought the Kluson name and redid them so they are suppose to be back to a quality piece.  The ones I check out at the NAMM show seemed real nice so I have a set on order.   Well see if they are better than the last set I got which was crap!!!!!!
2. RS Guitar Works Strat Upgrade kit.  It is suppose to keep you from loosing the highs as you roll you volume back, which it did, but it made the guitar to bright so I pulled it out.
3. Coil taping on a set of Duncan 59’s.  I left it on my Les Paul but I don’t use it very often so I won’t be tapping coils on Humbuckers again.  If I want a single coil sound I use single coil pickups.  Just my opinion, I know lots of you love splitting coils.
4. Anything other than a bone nut.  Sorry, my opinion, I have used them all and always come back to bone nuts.
5. Over wound or hot pickups.  They get to much midrange and become muddy for me.
6. Most modern capacitors I have used get replaced with vintage ones if I can get my hands on them. 
7. Stock CTS pots.

What about you?

Lived up to the Hype:
1.  Also, Warmoth bodies and necks.
2.  Planet Waves Tuners.
3.  Schaller strap locks.
4.  Original Floyd Rose system.
5.  SD JB bridge humbucker.
6.  Callaham Hardtail Strat and Vintage Tele bridges. Haven't tried their trem parts yet.
7.  Graphtech nuts.

Didn't live up to the hype, but not bad.
1. Tonepros TOM bridge.  I still use them because it stays put when I'm restringing/cleaning the guitar.
2. Gibson TP-6 tailpiece.  Kills the vintage look, but its less intrusive than changing out stock tuners for higher ratio ones.

Didn't Like it:
1. Elixir strings.  Didn't get near enough life out of them to justify the price difference.
2. EVH D-Tuna.  Just threw the balance out of whack.  Tried it on 3 different guitars including the MM EVH model.
3. Floyd Rose 2.  Just pales in comparison...just spend the money on a good one.

allright a more in-depth post:

1: warmoth parts
2: bareknuckles
3: swineshead pickups
4: hipshot tremolo
5: sperzel tuners
6: floyd rose tremolo
7: ebony fingerboard
8: raw neckbacks
9: korina for a bodywood
10: dimarzio air norton
11: graphteck nuts
12: earvana nuts
what doesnt live up to the hype:

1: seymour duncan JB
2: dimarzio superdistoriton
3: dimarzio EVO
4: kahler tremolos
5: piezo systems
6: synth systems

I'm gonna leave out warmoth stuff from the list because this is a warmoth forum, and I imagine we'll all be putting their stuff on the positive side of our lists.

Lived up to the hype:
-Earvana nut
-tube amps
-black korina. so cool.
- seymour duncan jazz pickup
- coil tapping (tons of room for debate here. I don't look for true single coil tone, but rather just a usable tone)

Didn't live up:
-tonepros locking tunomatics
-graphtec string tree
- braz. rosewood
-elixir strings
-piezo systems
- millions of switches, or trying to make one guitar do everything

Jury is still out:
-stainless steel frets
-fender's output at present

Lived up to the Hype in a big way:  Jason Lollar P-90.  Simply the best pickup I have ever heard. 

Didn't live up to the Hype:  Any instruction book that claims to teach you how to play guitar in any specified time frame.  I've been working on this for at least 22 years, and I always feel as though I have a long way to go. 

Lived up the the hype:

Fralin Pickups
Mesa Boogie Amps
Fulltone Pedals
For acoustic: replacing the plastic bridge pins with ebony on the bass side and water buffalo horn on the treble side

Didn't live up to the hype:

cryogenic strings
Amp Modeling, the software and PODs are ok for recording but just don't cut it onstage

Tonar8353 said:
I just received a DeTemple Titanium Strat Bridge and it got me to thinking about things that have or have not lived up to the hype.  I spent $402.00 dollars on this thing and it came without screws or springs.  I have not put it into the guitar yet so I don’t know if it will live up to the hype on his web sight but I was disappointed that it came without springs and screws. I hope it does what they say because that is a chunk of change for a bridge. Anyway here are my lists of things to build guitars (I could go on for days about amps and stomp boxes so we will exclude them) that have lived up to the hype in my opinion and those that have not

First the ones that have lived up to the hype.
1. Warmoth Bodies and Necks.
2. Glendale Tele Bridges and Saddles. 
3. Cryogenically Frozen Fralin Pickups from Callaham Guitars.
4. Callaham Strat Bridges.
5. Callaham Vintage Style Pickguards.  The mint and parchment Strat guards and the Lacquered Tele Blackguard.
6. RS Guitar Works 280K Volume Pots.
7. McFadden’s Lacquers.
8. Don Mare Tele Pickups model #2324.  I am not sure I love them but they match what Don say they do.  I think I like the Duncan Real 54 neck pickup and the Duncan Jerry Donahue bridge pickup better.
9. Original Joe Barden pickups.
10.  Real 59 PAF Pickups.

Here are the ones that did not make the grade.
1. Kluson reissue vintage style tuners.  My understanding is that Tone-Pros has bought the Kluson name and redid them so they are suppose to be back to a quality piece.  The ones I check out at the NAMM show seemed real nice so I have a set on order.  Well see if they are better than the last set I got which was crap!!!!!!
2. RS Guitar Works Strat Upgrade kit.  It is suppose to keep you from loosing the highs as you roll you volume back, which it did, but it made the guitar to bright so I pulled it out.
3. Coil taping on a set of Duncan 59’s.  I left it on my Les Paul but I don’t use it very often so I won’t be tapping coils on Humbuckers again.  If I want a single coil sound I use single coil pickups.  Just my opinion, I know lots of you love splitting coils.
4. Anything other than a bone nut.  Sorry, my opinion, I have used them all and always come back to bone nuts.
5. Over wound or hot pickups.  They get to much midrange and become muddy for me.
6. Most modern capacitors I have used get replaced with vintage ones if I can get my hands on them. 
7. Stock CTS pots.

What about you?
Hey Tonar, I got a titanium neckplate I made that would fit in with your titanium bridge.... :icon_biggrin:
2525648985_5240e8a04d.jpg

what a great thread, I agree with everyone so far, especially the EVH D-Tuna what a pile, the narrow spectrum that it works in is impossible to setup.

I just bought a peterson strobe tuner for 200 bucks, the jury is out, but i may like it when i get used to it.

Tonar8353 said:
Hey Tonar, I got a titanium neckplate I made that would fit in with your titanium bridge....

But will you send me the screws if I buy it.  LOL
crackup.gif
......uhhhhhhmmmmm....I'll have to check, there maybe a sur-charge for those.... :icon_biggrin:

J/K, screws included. No springs tho....

I don't have many things that didn't live up to the hype, but what did:

1) Unfinished canarywood neck - aweeeeeeeeeesome
2) Fralin '51 style P-Bass pickup - He made me one of these custom last year before he started officially making them, so it was kind of a gamble but after talking to him and some buddies who had fralin pickups I had pretty high expectations, which were met and exceed.

This is a great thread.

Things that live up to the hype:

1 - Lollar pickups
2 - Joe Barden Tele Bridges
3 - Eminence speakers
4 - JJ Tubes
5 - Planet waves auto trim tuners
6 - Planet waves "Pick" strobe tuner
7 - D'addario  strings
8 - Bose L1 PA.
9 - anything by warmoth
10 - anything by rickenbacker

Things that did not live up to the hype
1 - Matchless amps.
2 - weber loudspeakers. 
3 - 70's fenders and gibsons

Yea

Warmoth wood
Rio Grande pickups of any ilk
Deft and Mohawk finishing products
PW auto trim tuners
raw exotic necks

Nay

Stainless Steel frets
Sperzel tuners
Anything from Fender or Gibson Custom Shop

Tonar - Coil tapping any form of vintage style pickup like an SD '59 is a waste of time; I don't understand the hype there. Some, not all, higher output HBs will give you a decent SC sound, not dead-on, but usable.

good thread!

:icon_thumright:
Raw neck woods (ok I've only tried rosewood but still)
Lollar P90
GFS single coil 'premium' pickup sets (but nothing else GFS)
Dan Erlewine's book
All of my warmoths

:tard:
Kluson vintage style tuners! Awful!
Piezo saddles
Earvana nut
One-piece bodies

Here are some of mine:

Yes:
Wenge necks
Korina
Warmoth Thinlines
Planet waves auto trim tuners
Rio Grande
Stainless Steel frets

No
Sperzels
Most desktop modeling amps (the ones I tried so far)

Undecided:

Tung oil finishes - I am more than happy with the end result though, and may lean towards yes after trying this on a different wood
GFS pickups - I have some of their pickups that work great, but after all they are still budget pickups. the guy has some great sales skills and a good marketing strategy I guess.
P90's - I love the tone, love the looks, but they are fecking noisy!

Good...
Warmoth 10-16" compound radius
Peterson strobe tuners
Callaham bridges etc
Stew Mac tools (and amazing service)
Tremol-no
Mullard, GE, and Philips NOS valves
D'Addario strings

Bad...
Sperzels
PRS guitars
Mesa amps (Mk I is nice though)
Fender amps (silver face onwards)
Marshall amps (80's onwards)
Groove Tubes and similar
Digital modelling amps etc

Good:
The Schaller 463 bridge
Rosewood fingerboards
Painted necks (I'm obviously among the few who prefer that)
EMG 35DC bass pickups
The EMG BTC System eq control
Thick GHS strings (0.50-1.15)
My Bass Pod xt
Dunlop 2 mm Tri Big Stubby picks.
Gotoh GB7 Tuners
Eden and SWR amps, considering combining a Bass Pod xt pro with a power amp from one of these brands)
Maybe I'll go for Ashdown (http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/detail.asp?section=abm&ID=55), If I can get 2 overdrive sounds out of this thing and if the built-in D.I. is actually possible to use...

Bad:
Fender-style bass bridges
Cheap satin finishes on necks (Ok, my G4 is my first "expensive" instrument)
Hartke amps
Any other picks, they "slap" against the strings

Good

Hand wound pickups
warmoth pro neck....awesome!
tusq nuts
deft clear coat, Now that I know how to use it  :laughing3:
Ernie ball power slinky strings

Bad

GFS single coils
elixer strings
Epiphone VJ head
Digitech RP pedals suck!
Light beer
Fender standard guitars

Good:

Fat neck profile
Graphite nut
DR Strings
Dunlop "Gator Grip" picks (I like 2.0mm)
Boss Pedals
Planet Waves Cables
Buckethead

Bad:

3 pickup guitars (middle pickup always gets in my way, whether HSH, SSS, HSS, or HHH)
Elixir Strings
Pickguards
Piezo Pickups
The Blues...

Back