The Hype

http://essentialsound.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ES&Product_Code=Essence_Cord&Category_Code=REF

I'm not real qualified to evaluate things like $150 "directional" guitar cords and $800 power cords, cause I never buy anything like that - in fact I go out of my way to avoid buying anything with "mojo" or "vintage vibe" or "classic tone." (ooh, the manufacturers are scared of me....) Even though the Suhr Guitar site is full of wood descriptions that exude mojo, I fully agree with John Suhr personally when he says mojo is nonsense:
John rails against the concepts of soul and mojo that tend to permeate guitar making. To John, the “mojo” that a particularly nice ’56 Strat exudes is quantifiable, and therefore repeatable. By embracing modern building methods and a little bit of science, his instruments have that consistent feel, ensuring that each plays and sounds as good as the next. Ironically, this approach gives each guitar with the Suhr logo on the headstock tons of what most players immediately identify as great feel and soul – more commonly referred to as mojo.
http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2008/Jan/Ten_Years_After_celebrating_a_decade_of_Suhr_Guitars.aspx

Things that aren't ridiculous hype, and worth it (besides pickups, wire & stuff - well, duh, you need that stuff):

Direct Sound Extreme Isolation headphones, the $90 ones - you can practice much more quietly over traffic, air conditioners, screaming cats, telephones, human contact.... Goodbye Cruel World! No more goo running out your ears after 6 hours of practicing over an air conditioner.

Bill Lawrence solderless cable system. I still use a fat soldered cord for stage, but to hook up pedalboards, looper stations and such the Lawrence kicks it - his former employee George L "borrowed" the idea and sells a very similar system, but Lawrence's is half the price and better made.
http://www.wildepickups.com/The_Wilde_Collection.php (cable kit at bottom)

Not worth the hype:

any thing with "Mojo", "Magic", a "Secret".... anything without objective evidence. The world is chock-full of oscilloscopes and frequency analyzers, yet ridiculous advertising statements go unexamined and automatically, unquestionably become part of "conventional wisdom". For example:

Not worth the hype: Nitrocellulose finishes.

Take four boards of the same species and same weight. Cover one with a nitro finish 3 microns thick and one with a polyurethane finish 3 microns thick. Take another and cover it with a 1/16" nitrocellulose finish and the last with a 1/16" poly finish. Hook them to an oscilloscope and, bang on them or something, fire vibrations in one end and contact-mike the other.

Which board resonates better? Is polyurethane always thick? Does wood that "breathes" obviously absorb moisture, rendering the concept of "finish" obsolete? Where is the evidence - it's a given that people who plug into an amp and wank away like what they're hearing, it's a given that someone who's invested hundreds and thousands of dollars in a nitro spray rig "knows" it sounds better... where is the evidence? Paul Reed Smith, Fender and Gibson use both nitro and poly on their highest-end guitars - if one is "better", why don't they use it?

Eric Clapton plays a superglue-finished guitar, Santana has got to be on anybody's top ten tone god lists - he plays a polyurethane-finished guitar. (He can get any new guitar he wants free, so why choose a bad-sounding finish? :icon_scratch:) John Petrucci certainly makes my ten list, Steve Morse makes my top TWO list - his early 90's CD's "Southern Steel" and "Coast to Coast" are the textbooks on great & varied guitar tone. They both play plastic poly Music Man guitars.... Alembic gets $8000 for their poly guitars, Suhr gets $4000 for his. Don't even they know they suck?

Eric Johnson's new signature Strat has no paint between the inertia block and the bridge, because he "knows" it sounds better - that's now conventional wisdom, and thousands of guitarists have diligently sanded their inertia blocks. Q: If the evidence proves that Johnson is right and the paintless blocks transmit better vibrations, why hasn't Fender published the results of their studies? It would be a good selling point, right next to the studies proving the vibrational superiority of nitro finishes, and the proof about the impossibility of putting polyurethane on thinly... And the studies that prove the thickness of the finish makes a rat's ass difference on a solid five pound board, anyway. (ahem)

Not worth the hype:
New Grover tuners, made in China by Ping. They're not even the high-end Pings that Ibanez put on their $250 guitars, theyr'e nasty, cheap potmetal that goes crunchy within months. When I see a decent manufacturer like Schecter advertising Grovers as a selling point on their guitars I gotta wonder where else they're skimping. When I see Gibson putting cheap crunchy potmetal tuners on their $5000 custom shop guitars, I know I've lost my mind.*

*(those tiny items are so easy to misplace....) :blob7:

Wow!  That was a great rant!

I agree with the mojo comments.  When I was building a lot of amps I constantly heard about the mojo of old caps, carbon comp resistors, boutique transformers, and even cloth covered wire.  Absolute crap - all of it.

I just ignored it and built the best sounding amps available (IMHO) with metal film resistors, modern poly wrap caps, teflon coated wire, and Hammond Transformers :)

hehe, can't resist putting my 2 cents

Good:
- Jumbo frets
- Superior quality fretwork and dressing
- Scalloped necks
- Simple maple neck with gloss finish
- EMG, Seymour Duncan, Fender single coils
- Asian guitars (WhaTT???, yeah sorry....)
- Pro-setup
- JSX amplifier = cost effective
- TC electronics rackmounts
- Grover, Sperzel, any GOOD tuners
- Peterson strobe tuner = awesome
- Line 6 stuff = super good for what it does!!

Bad:
- Earvana Nut (just can't stand it), Omg...bad memories
- Cheap Floyd roses
- Baby Frets
- Gibson "custom shop", Fender "relic", just plain funny!
- Ultra big "can't reach around" neck.
- "Round" neck (baseball bat kind)
- Over hyped "boutique" custom tube amps (wouldn't pay 5k for a 18watt head with 2 knobs, Satriani does just fine with a 1000$ amp  :icon_thumright:).
- Over hyped "boutique" pedals  :dontknow:
- Vintage guitars, good for collectors, but for a player  :icon_scratch:

To each his own, what is my lost is your gain!  :icon_thumright:

Completely random listing, some with contrast, all with reasons why ->

The Real Thang:

- old school simple tube amp circuit tone (rich and fat)
- Mullard 12AX7s and CV4004s (no harsh top end)
- low output pickup tone (clarity)
- Fulltone OCD (lively)
- Schaller Mini locking tuners (lock knob is big and knurled)
- Celestion Alnico Gold speakers (chimey bell-tone top end, magical mids, right amount of bass)
- Avatar speaker cabs (great tone, great workmanship, great prices)
- MI Audio Crunch Box (old-school Marshall-on-steroids tone)
- 6-hole vintage tremolo with stamped saddles (paramount for that Strat "crang")
- some brands of "pure" nickel wound strings (clear top end without harshness)
- George L cables (yes, the clarity is outstanding)
- simple signal path from geetar to amp

Hype:

- modern multiple channel bells n whistles tube amp tone (thin and buzzy)
- a lot of new manufactured 12AX7s (harsh top end)
- hi output pickup tone (mush)
- Fulltone Fulldrive 2 (flat)
- Sperzel locking tuners (lock knob is very thin and thus difficult to turn)
- H&K Tube Factor (just cuz it has a tube and is costly, don't mean it's good)
- Fender Am Std Strat trem with cast saddles (pingy, thin tone)
- nickel-plated steel wound strings (harsh, thin top end)
- really expensive guitar instrument cables (gimme a break)
- modern-day Gibs*n products (quality standards keep going downhill, prices keep going up)
- signal path from geetar to amp loaded with lots of crap

Superlizard said:
Hype:

- modern multiple channel bells n whistles tube amp tone (thin and buzzy)

not all of them. the CMW multichannel has a big, fat tone, aswell as the Hook Captain. the captain has a clean channel comparable with the fender twin and lead is like the plexi, lead2 is like a jcm800. no, not like; they ARE them.

- a lot of new manufactured 12AX7s (harsh top end)

agreed.

- hi output pickup tone (mush)

not necassarily. the bareknuckle miracle man is hot as hell, and still very transparant, clear, open and dynamic,almost llike a tele-singlecoil, but only 3x louder.

- Fulltone Fulldrive 2 (flat)

never tried this one.
- Schaller Mini locking tuners (lock knob is big and knurled)

whats wrong with big and knurled? gives you great ergonomics!

- H&K Tube Factor (just cuz it has a tube and is costly, don't mean it's good)

agreed.
- Fender Am Std Strat trem with cast saddles (pingy, thin tone)

isnt that a strat tone by definition? ;)
- nickel-plated steel wound strings (harsh, thin top end)
never heard Santana, Jimmy Page, Slash or Angus Young complain...?

- really expensive guitar instrument cables (gimme a break)
works though. no capacitance in the cable gives you a better tone. but do you mean cables like 80$ for 6 meters (50 euros, 6 meters, 6 meters is almost 20 feet), or 300$ for the same length? the first is no biggy, the latter is over the hill.

- modern-day Gibs*n products (quality standards keep going downhill, prices keep going up)
uhm.. prices are going DOWN. a custom was a year ago 3500 euro's, now its 2700. thats a 800 euro's difference, in the negative. in my book, thats cheaper. oh, and I've tried a gazilion gibsons lately, and I found that the '07 and 08s were better than the 05's, 04's and '03's. finally, its becoming better, bit by bit.

- signal path from geetar to amp loaded with lots of crap

always have been a bad thing :)

Good  All those expensive Synths that no one can afford .
         Dean 's guitar's resurrection      

Bad    Josh Groben (you call that singing ?) uuuuuugh !
          Marshalls with built-in effects
          Vocal processors - the one's that make crappy singers sound (in-tune?) crappier .
          What do you get when you polish a turd ? A polished turd .
          Joel Osteen , gospel according to
          Hip-Hop
          Electronic drum-kits
          Madonna
          Brittney Spears
          Boss DS-1
          "Relics" 
          Brass attachments that increase sustain
          Oprah
          Rachel Ray
          All guitars priced higher than $3,500
          PRS Guitars - is it just me ? or do they make a "clacking" sound when you hear them .

Good -
Schecter guitars
raw necks
Fender Standard Telecaster
Chaos pad
SS frets
DL quilt
The Melvins
the Warmoth finishing shop :icon_thumright:
5751 tubes :guitaristgif:
Orange Tiny Terror
Picard

Bad -
Valve Jr.
wheat beer
DIY finishing
Epiphone SGs
the economy :(
Kirk

dbw, what you got against the VJ? I'm just about to buy one and start modding, I'd really like your opinion.

dbw - and what about the wheat beer ? ! ?  :icon_scratch:  :eek:ccasion14:

wheat beer sucks, unless its over 90 degrees out and the beer is very cold (in that case any beer is fine!), or is actually from Germany and is really fresh. American wheat beer is tasteless mush masquerading as quality microbrew.

tfarny said:
American wheat beer is tasteless mush masquerading as quality microbrew.

I remember when microbrew was microbrew , way back when . I think they call it macrobrew now . does'nt compare .

I just didn't like the way it sounded.  Obviously lots of people still love the VJ.

People here in Wisconsin freaking love wheat beer.  I think it tastes like rotten juice.

What has worked for me:
- Neck pickups and humbuckers
- Signal processing, I love my Boss GT-8
- Playing live
- Black guitars
- Big, triangular guitar picks. Precision and large gripping area.

What has not worked for me:
- Fender guitars, especially Strats. Shrill, uncomfortable and unattractive.
- Single coil pickups
- Bridge position pickups with a clean sound. There is no sound as empty and devoid of life as this, except for piezo'd acoustics.
- Blues music. So far, it's been nothing but all clichés, all the time.
- Dunlop picks (and also all other "teardrop" shaped picks). Uniformly usless for how I play a guitar.

Undecided between:
- In-ear or conventional monitoring. I think I prefer to get actual physical volume thrown at me, but sometimes IEM:ing is absolutely essential.

Wow, kboman, I think you and I might be genuine opposites, besides my love for neck pickups too.

Back