Telecaster sized p-90 bridge pickups, any opinions experience?

Spud

Considering one for build. Hesitant as I have read many folks saying that Duncan 1/4 pounds sound p-90 ish and to me they don't at all (however I only own/ have experience with their strat model).

Go with a steel pole piece pickup, like the Fralin Steel Pole 43 or Harmonic Design Super 90.

The Quarter Pounder has large pole-pieces but they are still magnetic rods and will always have the bright cut.

Seymour Duncan just came out with a P-90 bridge pickup in Tele form... available for pre-order:

I went the BG-1400 route for my Tele build. I wouldn't say it sounds much like a P-90. Though I am really digging the sounds I'm getting out of it wired to a super switch as shown in my attachment. My favorite is actually the middle setting with the coils wired in parallel:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 12.26.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 12.26.26 AM.png
    674.7 KB · Views: 6
I won 4 sets of porter pickups on ebay, half price, over stock, I don't know if it is the wiring or the pickups but they have a great clarity, i am very happy with porter pickups

Attachments

• 20231013_145832~2_remastered.png
    20231013_145832~2_remastered.png
    581.9 KB · Views: 5
If you want your Tele/Strat/ANOther guitar to sound like it's got P90/PAF/Filtertron/ANOther pickups on it, screw P90/PAF/Filtertron/ANOther pickups on it.
An 'x sized y' never sounds like it was hyped to.

If you want your Tele/Strat/ANOther guitar to sound like it's got P90/PAF/Filtertron/ANOther pickups on it, screw P90/PAF/Filtertron/ANOther pickups on it.
An 'x sized y' never sounds like it was hyped to.
What the dickens! I am pretty sure different form factors, magnets, wire gauge, poles, etc have no bearing on the overall sound. The biggest determiner IMO is the ad copy/description written by the OEM.

I am over thinking this and getting bogged down. I decided to get on the Fast Track instead.

I've played p90 s in a humbucker format and they come pretty close. Only way to know for sure is try them.

CTS-500K Volume / Tone250K .022 Sprauge Orange drop cap

Last edited:
Go with a steel pole piece pickup, like the Fralin Steel Pole 43 or Harmonic Design Super 90.

The Quarter Pounder has large pole-pieces but they are still magnetic rods and will always have the bright cut.
Or the vintage plus, for something halfway between a p90 and a tele.

Picture a tele with the perfect amount of bass and mids.

They were the flavor of the month back around the turn of the century. Lol. I wanted a set of pickups so good that I'd never have to swap them. I got that! 25 years later, they're still in the guitar.

The matching neck pickup is a thing of beauty. Easily my favorite single coil neck tone.

Last edited:
Back