The Hentor Sportscaster (build complete!)

AlternateNosePicking

I posted (http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=24807.msg359089#msg359089) several months back asking for advice on attempting to build a replica of Alex Lifeson's white Hentor Sportscaster, a modified strat he used on the Grace Under Pressure album and tour.  I saw that Alex's luthier got his permission to build and sell replicas based on the original's specs, however these were going for prices a tad over my horizon (~$3.3k).  So I ventured to build one myself. (Fortunately, the specs were listed in pretty good detail on the luthier's site. The rest I was able to scrounge up by creeping after him on forums and browsing his Photobucket pics.) I was able to build it for around $1,200 without cutting corners on hardware.

All in all, I'm extremely pleased with how it turned out.  This was my first build.  I couldn't be happier with the quality of the Warmoth body and neck.

5Sz5NA.jpg

The biggest challenge on this build is the Gibson-style 3-way switch routed into the lower cutaway.  Fortunately, I have access to AutoCAD, so I could take measurements and design a fairly accurate route path.

RsGT7a.jpg

odOS6I.jpg

I didn't pay enough attention to my schematics and had to order a switch with more poles.  This selector switches Neck, Neck/Middle, Bridge.

D5Kkef.jpg

Lucky for me, I have a good friend who has, of all things, a $6k laser engraver sitting in his garage. So, he ran a router template for me on plexi from my AutoCAD file.

2VLwpK.jpg

So with no small amount of trepidation, I took to preparing to route the switch pocket. This involved copious amounts of blue tape and several practice runs on blanks with a brand new blade.

sJkNhu.jpg

The results were satisfactory. Alder smells great when it's cut.

oHCoUH.jpg

Then I took to overdoing it with the shielding. In the end, I thought it looked really cool though.  I did have to line the actual switch recess with non-conductive tape. The pocket was tight enough that the switch would short to ground in one direction when I'd switch positions.

cKKs5p.jpg

DdNBX1.jpg

EOGbAW.jpg

The build calls for a Bill Lawrence L500L HB in the bridge position. This was the original "Wilde" or "Bill & Becky" pickup, not the Bill Lawrence USA L500L. I was happy to learn that Bill's wife is still making these pickups by hand in Los Angeles.  I endeavored to order one.  Anyone who knows Wilde pickups knows that they don't stock much inventory.  I had to wait for it to be built.  I had to wait a long time, over two months.  But, it arrived and it was worth the wait!

The pickup on the left is the "Bill & Becky" L500L.  The one on the right is the Bill Lawrence USA L500L (which are easy acquired, but do sound different).

I7z9MH.jpg

The L500L is a strange size, and Warmoth doesn't offer a stock cut for it, so I went with the closest size (which I think was the P90 route?) and addressed the small remaining gap by installing the pickup ring on the internal side of the pick guard.  Took a little dremel magic, but it finished up nice.

The two single coil pickups are DiMarzio FS-1s.

UyYL0X.jpg

The factory locking nut cut is such a convenience.  This would have been such a pain to retrofit.

9VHG5m.jpg

The P/G took me a little over an hour.  Well, it took me about 2.5 hours in all because there was some troubleshooting once the guitar was setup and played.  I read the schematic wrong and grounded half the hum bucker (whoops). Notice how the red and green wires are not grounded (like the blue and black), but simply twisted together?  :icon_thumright:

OdqYrI.jpg

I found this schematic on a forum and snatched it.

fcDlde.png

An oddity of the original Hentor, the 1/4" jack plate is inverted.  I really like it, particularly with a right angle plug threaded through the strap.

aTCmUA.jpg

My buddy who helped me with the router guide is having a neck plate "lasered" with the classic Rush "Starman".  Haven't got that piece yet...

U4J7O2.jpg

Well here you go. My finished Hentor Sportscaster. Plays like a dream. Sounds spot on!  That neck is glorious.  It's heavier than my PRS Custom 24, much thicker body.  Floyd tuning is solid.  Once I got the intonation spot on, I was in dive bomb heaven. lol. Still need to create a Hentor decal for the head.

JpkkJS.jpg

This project was so satisfying, I think I'm going to build a guitar every year. I was actually quite surprised that I could do it and that it would turn out so well. Again, the Warmoth parts are perfect. May try something a tad easier and less specific next time.

At first glance, that guitar appears to be any other strat off the shelf. It doesn't take long, though, to start noticing all the interesting and unique features...and then notice even more of them! Wow - just...wow. You did such a great job - simple, yet stunning. Very stunning.

Nice job. It's all in the little details. I hope the unfinished maple doesn't do mean things to you in the future.

She's a beauty! I always have a soft spot in my heart for black-accented white Strats. Need to build another one soon.

How does that switch work? And where did you get it?

Cagey said:
She's a beauty! I always have a soft spot in my heart for black-accented white Strats. Need to build another one soon.

How does that switch work? And where did you get it?

Here's a clip from StewMac's site.  StewMac doesn't actually sell this part anymore so I had to go searching the web for it elsewhere.  It's intended for 3 pickup guitars.

The configuration is:
  • Neck
  • Neck/Middle
  • Bridge

ACS0Ff.png

Gemcutter said:
At first glance, that guitar appears to be any other strat off the shelf. It doesn't take long, though, to start noticing all the interesting and unique features...and then notice even more of them! Wow - just...wow. You did such a great job - simple, yet stunning. Very stunning.

Thanks!  You know, I think the first thing that goes through your mind when you consider a project like this is how to keep the result from not looking like an amateur put it together.  I actually had to order a replacement P/G.  I trimmed out the Bridge pickup hole myself.  It worked, but the finish just wasn't good. I knew I'd look at it every time I picked up the guitar, so I sucked it up and order another guard, this time talking to Warmoth on the phone about what cutout to use for that particular humbucker.  It's worth taking your time.  We built jigs to do everything, even to install the Schaller tuning machines.

AutoBat said:
Nice job. It's all in the little details. I hope the unfinished maple doesn't do mean things to you in the future.

Me too!  Lol.  I had to stick to the original though, for the sake of the replica. (actually, the locking nut was a liberty I took.  I know Alex had one installed several years later, and I didn't want to be constantly out of tune.)

I only just realized that it's a 3 pickup guitar, with a 3 way toggle.  That's really cool and I think I need one.

Timmsie95 said:
I only just realized that it's a 3 pickup guitar, with a 3 way toggle.  That's really cool and I think I need one.

You do need one! That switch is fairly compact for that many poles.  Definitely something to use heat shrink wrap with. The switch position is great for playing while standing.  While seated, it takes a little getting use to. Easy to hit with your leg.  It'll naturally bounce to the middle position with just a little pressure.  But it's straight forward.  The tone on that L500L is very sensitive to the pots. I usually play it at 8, but at 10 you get great, thick crunch.  Still, not as hot as the L500XL which is more of a metal P/U.

AlternateNosePicking said:
StewMac doesn't actually sell this part anymore so I had to go searching the web for it elsewhere.  It's intended for 3 pickup guitars.

Do you remember where you found it?

I have a 3 pickup guitar that's waiting to be built because I mistakenly ordered it without a blade switch cutout and I'm afraid to do it myself on this particular body. I don't like having multiple switches on a guitar, so this looks like just what the doctor ordered.

Cagey said:
AlternateNosePicking said:
StewMac doesn't actually sell this part anymore so I had to go searching the web for it elsewhere.  It's intended for 3 pickup guitars.

I have a 3 pickup guitar that's waiting to be built because I mistakenly ordered it without a blade switch cutout and I'm afraid to do it myself on this particular body. I don't like having multiple switches on a guitar, so this looks like just what the doctor ordered.

Took a little looking, but I found the receipt.  Check here: http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/electrical_toggleswitches.htm
You want the EP-0065-3PU.
Will cost you $20, which I think is steep for what it is, but it's hard to find these days.

Thank you for your trouble, I appreciate it. Solves my problem, so I got one on order.

I will. It's a carved-top VIP with a white pearl finish and a one-piece Ziricote neck. Black hardware. Gonna be sweet.

Well done and congratulations.

I was just thinking about this build the other day.

I was looking at Alex Lifeson on some videos talking about his R40 LP Axcess and the EDS1275 replica the folks at Gibson have done and was reminded of the Hentor type that  was discussed a while back in the other thread. I wondered what became of it and now my curiosity is answered.

Any chance you can post some more shots of the finished build ?

I also need to chime in and say excellent job. Very cool.
The guitar looks superb.  :icon_thumright:

Cagey said:

@Cagey: As a side note - but I guess that you already know this - there is that 6-way toggle switch, the Free-Way Ultra Switch, that should be able to handle any pickup configuration.
Free-Way_Ultra_Switch.jpg

Of course, it's not exactly small, and would definitely never have fit in this Hentor Strat.

[youtube]kcwSKqSZ0f8[/youtube]

Back