The finist peice of surf instrumentation ever contrived?

LarsXI

Inspiration struck this morning, I'd like to share.

A jaguar swamp ash body with flame maple top. Black binding along the upper edge, the top and sides finished in vintage tint. For the back, glossy black. The neck: flame maple on flame, black binding and dots with vintage tint, gloss black headstock (CBS). The switchplates would be electroplated gold to match the TOM bridge w/ graphtech saddles and gold bigsby b5. To top it all off, the pickguard would be cut from old vinyl records, with the label around the bridge. (see pic)

All of the fancy switching and knobs afforded by the jaguar would work well with the graphtech ghost piezo/synth system. A p90 neck with angled single coil bridge would be appropriate. Perhaps a single coil cover to match the record label.

I think that might capture the mood for some respectable surf rock.

Yeah, not so sure about the purple either. And should it really be that jagged?

;)

Anything that means another Jaguar enters this world is a Good Thing. Go for it! It certainly sounds interesting.
One thing though - the vinyl record scratchplate will probably show its scratches much sooner and more clearly, it being a both softer and pre-scratched, so to speak, material.

Flame maple jag with a gold bigsby and an old record for a pickguard? And invisible, to boot, but with purple binding? Sounds tacky to me but if you made it and posted a pic, I'm sure I'd be jealous.

As an avid vinyl collector, I have to request that you use a Micheal Jackson record for that pickguard.  Or youknow, anything like that which will not be missed.

I say that's a pretty cool idea. Thinking out of the box so to speak. But I'd have to go with the majority on the purple binding. Not sure surfers would find that very appealing....... :eek:

Ah no, there would be no purple binding, that was intended as a sort of theoretical outline. If I had photoshop I would've tried harder, but yeah, take it as the border, implied. Apologies for the misunderstanding.

The actual binding would be black. I think fender did that at the end of the run of one of their guitars. The black looks real nice with the vintage gloss finish on the neck.

And yeah, cheap vinyl all the way. I wonder if I wouldn't coat it in something to resist scratches.

Anyway, I don't think I would ever actually put this together. That's sort of why I shared, thought I'd just spread it around.

LarsXI said:
Ah no, there would be no purple binding, that was intended as a sort of theoretical outline. If I had photoshop I would've tried harder, but yeah, take it as the border, implied. Apologies for the misunderstanding.

The actual binding would be black. I think fender did that at the end of the run of one of their guitars. The black looks real nice with the vintage gloss finish on the neck.

And yeah, cheap vinyl all the way. I wonder if I wouldn't coat it in something to resist scratches.

Anyway, I don't think I would ever actually put this together. That's sort of why I shared, thought I'd just spread it around.
We were being sarcastic about the whole "purple" binding........geeeeeeeez...

We were being sarcastic about the whole "purple" binding........geeeeeeeez...

"I only have one functioning brain cell, and even I understood that."

Bull from "Night Court"

Wow, that's the common mistake I never thought I could make. Sorry for killing the mood with an earnest response to sarcastic remarks.

ha ha....  feelings were hurt.  i'm sure they don't mean anything buy it, but they are from Texas, so they lack that thing in there brain that says: hey don't say that.  :icon_jokercolor:

Sir SchmoopY said:
ha ha....  feelings were hurt.  i'm sure they don't mean anything buy it, but they are from Texas, so they lack that thing in there brain that says: hey don't say that.   :icon_jokercolor:

True, at times I lack a filter between my brain and mouth. Or fingers. On the other hand, I REALLY like the concept of this guitar.

Sir SchmoopY said:
ha ha....  feelings were hurt.  i'm sure they don't mean anything buy it, but they are from Texas, so they lack that thing in there brain that says: hey don't say that.  :icon_jokercolor:
Your lips are moving but all I hear is blah, blah, blah.....

Sir SchmoopY said:

Oh, not at all. I'd hate to think any of us are that sensitive.

Cheers

DangerousR6 said:
Sir SchmoopY said:
Your lips are moving but all I hear is blah, blah, blah.....

getta dog little longy get a dog.

I don't think Warmoth offers binding on a Jaguar body.  They only do drop top binding on the strat bodies.

Back