The Aldercation

Ddbltrbl

Sometime back I got an Email from Warmoth letting me know they finally had some Macassar Ebony in that they could make a neck from. It arrived late last year and was just an amazing job (THANKS Warmoth Team!!)! It's a 1 5/8" width, 59 Roundback made from a single piece of Macassar Ebony with Pau Ferro skunk stripe and plug, and SS6150 frets. I installed an Earvanna nut after I got it.
DSC_0071a_zpscfdf475b.jpg

DSC_0063a_zps5f4d660d.jpg

As I considered what to with such a nice neck, an alder Musiclander body (M888) showed up in the showcase! As 8 is my lucky number or for some other equally capricious reason, I quickly decided to do an Olympic White ML. I've also been wanting to do a contoured heel on a ML, so I decided I would finish it myself. The body arrived and as I was adding the contoured heel I started to notice just how much character this piece of Alder had. It's got a lot of whorls and swirels, strange rings and stripes kind of like stretch marks, and is just surprizingly gorgeous for alder! So, my plans changed from Olympic White to using Tru Oil to get a natural alder finish.
DSC_0015a_zps2a4e9731.jpg

Normally, that should have been easy! Unfortunately, I used a local Japanese brand sealer before I made the decision to go natural, and that sealer didn't want to play well with the tru Oil. It took several rounds of sanding back the Tru Oil before I finally managed to get rid of all the effects of the sealer. But, it was worth it! This body shines like an star sapphire and changes looks and colors quite significantly with the different angles of the light, a truly unique piece of alder. Add to that 4 trips to the US on business and various other things happening in life and has taken me until last week to complete this.

I already had black hardware that I had planned to use with the white, so I just went with what I had; Schaller mini-lockers and Wilkinson VS100 Trem.
DSC_0315a_zpsf77768ee.jpg

DSC_0313a_zpsdf5260d4.jpg

Since I've built an ML with P90's (BK Super Massives) and one with Humbuckers (BK Blackhawks) I wanted to do something closer to a Strat this time. I am also always looking for more versatility, so I've wanted to try out the single coil size mini-humbuckers from Seymour Duncan for a while. So, I got a JB Jr for the bridge, a Duckbuster for the middle, and a Lil 59 for the neck.

However, after I got it together I discovered that the combination of those pups and the ebony was just too bright. It would have been a great shredder, but it just wasn't as warm as I wanted for blues, etc. So, I stuck a set of Zexcoils in it and got exactly the sound I was looking for!! The Ebony gives it brightness and great sustain and the alder and Zexcoils put back in just the right amount of warmth and growl. With some Splatted Maple pup rings as highlights here is how it turned out >>
DSC_0312a_zps1cb33f10.jpg

So, What do you think?  :guitarplayer2:

Ddbltrbl said:
So, What do you think?  :guitarplayer2:
What do I think .....

I think you should sent it to me ASAP  :icon_biggrin: .......... I don't have that shape  :laughing7:

Love that neck  :eek:  :toothy10: 
So I gather you like those Zexcoil ?

Yum Yum, that is one delicious neck ya' got there  :icon_thumright:
I have wanted to try an ebony neck for some time and that girl just confirms my need...
:kewlpics: :rock-on:

Absolutely gorgeous! Fine piece of work! And that neck is stunning! You must be very pleased.

That body shape isn't for me, but I love that neck! Overall, it's a great build - truly a unique, one-of-a-kind guitar. All that matters is if you're happy with it! :eek:ccasion14:

Stunning build! Too bad it doesn't have real single coils  :(
I know i'll sound blasphemous here, but i really can't help disliking non PITCH BLACK Ebony. I know it's impossible to find a piece good enough for a neck, let alone a completely black one. But you know, you can still dream  :toothy11:
Good job man!  :icon_thumright:

Don said:
I know i'll sound blasphemous here, but i really can't help disliking non PITCH BLACK Ebony. I know it's impossible to find a piece good enough for a neck, let alone a completely black one. But you know, you can still dream  :toothy11:

Not blasphemy. I'm partial to black Ebony, too, as are others. But, that doesn't mean a piece of Macassar like this one can't look good. Excellent, even. Usually when I have a problem with streaked or Macassar Ebony, it's because the streaks are too few and far between, or only show up sporadically. Makes the wood look too random, like a cast-off piece. But, when you see a piece like what this neck was made of, you gotta love it.

As for totally black Ebony necks, Warmoth does turn one out every once in a while. They usually sit in the showcase for a while because they're frighteningly expensive, and I imagine for most folks if they're going to pay that kind of money they don't want somebody else deciding what kind of inlays or profile the thing's gonna have.

For instance, here's one that's in the Showcase right now...

SN14087A.jpg
SN14087B.jpg

$750 and I gotta live with MOP inlays? Not gonna happen. I'm sure others would have similar problems. 1 11/16" nut? No way! Standard thin profile? No way! Not for that kind of money! But, somebody will love it and give it a good home.

Sunny beach, I think that neck is awesome  :eek:ccasion14:. 
But then, I dig macassar.  I hope it's not a neck diver, as I would guess with the light alder body and that mass of ebony and locking tuners on the other end.  But it looks fantastic.

Thanks again everyone!
DangerousR6 said:
Very awesome, but I do see one mistake... :glasses9:
Yes Doug, I know what you're referring to! Sorry!
Honestly, I had planned to do some hand engraving on it myself, but just haven't been able to get to it. You may still get the call!? :dontknow:

tylereot said:
I hope it's not a neck diver, as I would guess with the light alder body and that mass of ebony and locking tuners on the other end.
Actually, I'm not feeling any dive at all. The neck comes in just under 2 lbs. with tuners, and the body is just above 4 lbs with the hardware. I've been playing with it just about every evening for just over 2 weeks now and am still lovin it! 
teu42.gif

Cagey said:
SN14087A.jpg
SN14087B.jpg

$750 and I gotta live with MOP inlays? Not gonna happen. I'm sure others would have similar problems. 1 11/16" nut? No way! Standard thin profile? No way! Not for that kind of money! But, somebody will love it and give it a good home.

I love black Ebony! It's perfect for some builds! But that neck... yeah, like you said!  Somebody other than me will have to give it a good home. :guitarplayer2:

Ddbltrbl said:
Thanks again everyone!
DangerousR6 said:
Very awesome, but I do see one mistake... :glasses9:
Yes Doug, I know what you're referring to! Sorry!
Honestly, I had planned to do some hand engraving on it myself, but just haven't been able to get to it. You may still get the call!? :dontknow:
LOL, I'm just messing with ya..  :icon_jokercolor:

But if your hand engraving doesn't pan out, you know who to call... :icon_thumright:

I like both varieties of ebony.  While we're saying what blasphemous thing we're not into: I dislike woodburning on bodies.

AutoBat said:
I like both varieties of ebony.  While we're saying what blasphemous thing we're not into: I dislike woodburning on bodies.

+1

AutoBat said:

Pshaw. On here, it's blasphemous enough to not own a single guitar with gold hardware. :toothy12:

Have you noticed a big drop in noise from the Zexcoils compared to regular singles? Which ones did you get?

If that neck were a woman, I'd leave my wife for her - that's gorgeous!  I don't think the grain patterns of the alder show up very well in the pics - certainly not compared to the ebony! - but I can see hints of that.  That's a seriously gorgeous instrument, congrats!

ghostrider25 said:
Have you noticed a big drop in noise from the Zexcoils compared to regular singles? Which ones did you get?
Yes, Zexcoils are inherently noise cancelling. I am using the Signature Set. With the un-grounded single phase power we have in Japan, noice can be a serious problem here.

ihnpts said:
That's a seriously gorgeous instrument, congrats!
Thanks ihnpts!! :guitarplayer2:

Back