That Vintage P-Bass sound

TexxasJam

What kind of split coil pickups would you recommend to get as close to an authentic vintage Fender P-Bass sound?  I am not opposed to using authentic Fender Pickups but I was wondering what else was out there.  Anyone familiar with DiMarzio Model P or the Split P pickups? I heard the Model P is pretty good. I would prefer passive to active pickups but will consider any. How's the EMG EMG-P?

hands-down winner according to my customers (and many other session and studio pros) - Nordstrand NP-4

all the best,

R

I'm aware that this is an older thread......but also curious how matters turned out. I had a Fender ash P-Bass with a DiMarzio Model P, and *I* liked it. A little hotter than the vintage pups I now use on my basses - but I play blues (as opposed to the rock I was playing at the time of the Model P). It's always a subjective topic, but I'm interested in hearing from others about their takes of various pups combined with different woods, bridges, and what not. Opening a can of worms? Let's see...

How 'bout it, folks  :dontknow:

If you want the old p sound go with Duncan antiquity ! in my book they can't be beat also if you ask me the dimarzios suck !

TexxasJam said:
What kind of split coil pickups would you recommend to get as close to an authentic vintage Fender P-Bass sound?  I am not opposed to using authentic Fender Pickups but I was wondering what else was out there.  Anyone familiar with DiMarzio Model P or the Split P pickups? I heard the Model P is pretty good. I would prefer passive to active pickups but will consider any. How's the EMG EMG-P?

I've used the split-p and model p. Neither deliver the clarity of the ferrous pole peice and single large coil (conventional Fender type) pickups. But they are both fun in their own right. The split-p especially is too full sounding for "vintage".

Best vintage P sound I've heard? #1 was a plain old Lakland p-bass copy, #2 was a Fender "master built" p-bass, $4,000.00+.  LOL!  In both cases I suspect it was the pickup that was delivering the goods.

I'm a sucker for Fralin.
I'm going for a vintage P-bass sound with my upcoming build and am fairly set on him. The Nordstrands are a great choice as well, but for me it is Fralin (I am going over wound 5% on his recommendation - going for a motown type sound)

Based on some strong recommendations, I was thinking of using Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders. Although, I don't know how "Vintage" they sound.

fwiw I've also heard great things about the nordstrand np-4's.  You also might want to consider giving Lindy Fralin a call, like Micahbell mentions.  He's like Bill Lawrence in that he's happy to talk pickups on the phone.

scroll down to the p-bass pups http://www.lollarguitars.com/Pickups.htm  :cool01:

Max said:
I'm guessing you're not going for a 51-56 p-bass pickup, right? (the single coil)

Are you talking to me?  If so, I'm going with the Split Coil type.

TexxasJam said:
Max said:
I'm guessing you're not going for a 51-56 p-bass pickup, right? (the single coil)

Are you talking to me?  If so, I'm going with the Split Coil type.

It reads:

Patterned after the original split coil humbucking bass pickup wound to early 60?s specs. Scatter wound for more harmonic presence. Punchy with good definition. Hand beveled Alnico 5 magnets, vintage cloth covered wire. Wax Potted.

TexxasJam said:
Anyone familiar with DiMarzio Model P or the Split P pickups? I heard the Model P is pretty good.

DiMarzio's pickups are the very furthest thing from a vintage P that i can think of...

Back