Tele-violin

DangerousR6

Mythical Status
I've seen some that were more closely shaped to a violin, and I'm not really a violin person, but I do appreciate classical instruments.

51686585697_916ac5a173_b.jpg

51687373861_872185396a_b.jpg

It gets my vote although it is the first time I have seen a picture of the back of this FCS violin inspired Tele. In this case, whilst it is, pardon the pun, a good looking piece of fiddle back, I think they should have to complete the look gone set neck and not gone for a completely bare look to the back of the neck.

stratamania said:
It gets my vote although it is the first time I have seen a picture of the back of this FCS violin inspired Tele. In this case, whilst it is, pardon the pun, a good looking piece of fiddle back, I think they should have to complete the look gone set neck and not gone for a completely bare look to the back of the neck.
I agree, a set neck would seem to be more fitting for such and instrument...

stratamania said:
Do you have any more info on the second one with regard to who built it etc?

Is it one of Scatter Lee's? He's an absolute maniac who posts (or did) on tdpri.com. he just seemed to launch into things with an angle grinder and produce amazing instruments. Guy has skills.

Fat Pete said:
stratamania said:
Do you have any more info on the second one with regard to who built it etc?

Is it one of Scatter Lee's? He's an absolute maniac who posts (or did) on tdpri.com. he just seemed to launch into things with an angle grinder and produce amazing instruments. Guy has skills.

Thanks Pete, I will have to see if I can check it out further.

The round dots as finger-board markers are the least violin looking aspect.

IMO, a violin looking guitar only needs a F-hole and an antique amber finish.  That's as close as I would want to go.

JohnnyHardtail said:
The round dots as finger-board markers are the least violin looking aspect.

IMO, a violin looking guitar only needs a F-hole and an antique amber finish.  That's as close as I would want to go.
I agree, I would have left them off the fretboard...

If you wanna get picky about fret markers, you first have to deal with the fact that it has frets in the first place. Or does that make it mandolin inspired instead of violin?

swarfrat said:
If you wanna get picky about fret markers, you first have to deal with the fact that it has frets in the first place. Or does that make it mandolin inspired instead of violin?
I suppose you could make it fretless as well, but could you also not put frets on a violin??? :dontknow:

I was mostly joking. It has been done of course, but it really is a different animal. When you hear it you realize that a mandolin is really a fretted double strung violin.

I actually had an idea to do something like this once (from the jazz box perspective, though). I partially chickened out and built this:

Attachments

• jb.jpg
    jb.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 118
Some more interesting info on the tele-violin

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIBCmy5Rxjw&t=786s[/youtube]

stratamania said:

I might have also liked a subtle volute even if small, to match what violins have.

BeagJon said:
stratamania said:

I might have also liked a subtle volute even if small, to match what violins have.

A good suggestion. I tend towards, when volutes are used, to prefer the more subtle variety.

stratamania said:
BeagJon said:
stratamania said:

A good suggestion. I tend towards, when volutes are used, to prefer the more subtle variety.
Yes, obnoxious, overbearing volutes just get on my nerves... :laughing11:

Back