tele bari w/ soapbars

N

neilium

I've been mouthing off a bit here, lately. I figured I should put up but still shut up.

neil_jendon_lrg.jpg

This is my first of two Warmoth builds I've done. Mahogany body, Goncalvo Alves/RW bari neck, Chandler CC-90 p.u.'s. No finish on the neck.
A few coats of tru-oil on the body. No grain filler. I was impatient and wanted a bari for recording project I was in the midst of. I regret not taking the time then and may one day take it apart and start over.

That being said, the thing feels good, and I'm loathe to mess with an instrument that plays and sounds good. It twangs and growls something awful. I love it and play it every day.

Around the same time as I did that, I also built my first amplifier from scratch:

934126825_l.jpg

I was hoping the two would match better, but wood's a fickle material.

1. I want to see the back of that neck and body.

2. Sweet. Glad to see a baritone that isn't (or at least, doesn't seem to be) built solely for shredding. Baritones are capable of really incredible sounds, WITHOUT distortion too y'all.

That looks really good the way it is, just no nonesense ballsy!  What else ya' got?  :kewlpics:

The amp looks tasty too :icon_biggrin:

Yes, that amp head looks cool, what's the story behind that? you find a kit? or schematic?  Hook us up...

the guitar looks bitchen also

Wow, thats classy! I really like the clean look. I would love to hear a bari somtime.

Congrats on the fine build!

-TT-

A Pork instead of a Park, nice!  Is it wired like a Park?  What cab do you run with it?

Yessir, I would sure like to hear more about your scratch-built amp, too!  I love crap like that.  The bari-Tele looks awesome too!

1.  Nice geetar!~  Those are not really P90's though.  They're Charlie Christian pickups.  Dollars to donuts* they're really P90's in CC drag.  That is P90 coils with CC looking poles.  Very nice.

2.  Get a proper handle on the amp!~

Thanks for all the kind words. The amp was a scratch build. The design was cobbled together from various schematics on the web. The front end is a signal pentode called the 6AK5 through a James tonestack (not a baxandall,looks similar on paper, though) and long-tail pair phase splitter to two 6bq5's. 15 watts with the wind behind it. The cabinet is mahogany with quite a few worm holes. I understand you folks like worm holes.

The 6AK5 is a 7-pin firecracker that no one cares about. It's cheap, but it sounds as good as any EF86 I've ever had my hands on (including a telefunken that was sweet but very microphonic). I'm a fan of pentode front ends.

The guitar has darkened a bit since that picture was taken. I think my man-grease is having an effect. I'll take more pictures after New Year's when I'll have more time. I do love it very much.

CB-the pickup are Chandlers, and they are p-90's dolled up to look CC-ish. To confuse matters further, the pole pieces are alnico magnets rather than steel screws. They sound more fender-ish than p-90 or jazzbox. What's wrong with the amp handle?

Just noticed: Not sure how I feel about the marshall knobs on your amp there. Definitely ingenious. I think I like it, just not used to it yet. Cool choice. Where'd they come from?

The Marshall knobs were chosen using my patented "oh crap" design decision making system:

1: order chickenhead knobs; cool ones in red!

2: cobble together a circuit with too many controls for the chassis you ordered before you got all ambitious and wanted to make a simple amp.

3: plod forward with metalwork and drilling, ignore the fact that chickenhead knobs will be bumping into one another.

4: assemble amp. swear. a lot.

5: go to tubesandmore.com and order the cheapest, smallest diameter knobs available.

6. pretend nothing happened.

That "oh crap" process sounds familiar! If you have the patent we all owe you dough! :icon_jokercolor:

PS  I like the handle :icon_thumright:

neilium said:
CB-the pickup are Chandlers, and they are p-90's dolled up to look CC-ish. To confuse matters further, the pole pieces are alnico magnets rather than steel screws. They sound more fender-ish than p-90 or jazzbox. What's wrong with the amp handle?

Do the pickups have undercoil magnets as well?  and inverted T magnetic circuit would be the cats ass for a heavy duty single coil.

Brown leather, or at least brown plastic/rubber.  Dunno, the black looks out of place.  There are nice Fender repro leather handles that are the tits... would look great on that amp (fit the existing holes too~)

CB,

No undercoil magnets. Inverted T? Tell me more.

Handle: duly noted. Unfortunately, I don't think I can fix it. I guess I'll have to build another. rats.

Back