Taking care of a Rosewood neck

shanejw

I just bought my first rosewood neck and was wondering if there is anything extra i need to do to keep it in great shape?  I use Dunlop's clean and prep on my Rosewood fretboards to keep the gunk off of them.  I placed the order today, kinda skeptically because I've never played a rosewood neck before, but from what I hear they are really nice.

Here we usually use Peroba's Oil to dark woods, although some luthiers told me that is not necessary... Lemon Oil is good too!
Don't know what is done in the north of america...

They ARE very nice!  You won't regret it.

I'm sure any commercial product for fingerboards will be good for rosewood necks.  Lemon oil also works, and it's cheaper.  I use orange oil because I bought about a liter of the stuff for like $3 and I only use a few drops every month or so.

I've heard of people using cottonseed oil, WD-40, whatever!

shanejw said:
I just bought my first rosewood neck and was wondering if there is anything extra i need to do to keep it in great shape? 

Feed it a well balanced diet, low in fats, and make sure it gets lots of exercise.

You would be amazed at what WD-40 does for rosewood fret-boards (no kidding)...

I don't know if I could ever put WD40 on one of my guitars.  It just seems wrong to me for some reason.  There's no oxidized moving parts on my fretboard.  And the smell...ugh :laughing7:

shanejw said:
I don't know if I could ever put WD40 on one of my guitars.  It just seems wrong to me for some reason.  There's no oxidized moving parts on my fretboard.  And the smell...ugh :laughing7:

I like the smell, and seriously, you don't spray it directly onto the fret-board. Spray it on a cloth, and it takes all the "gunk" off  (I kid you not!). Then wipe it off REAL GOOD, and the fret-board looks great. and there's no smell or residue. I have used lemon oil, and I like the "WD" better. There's nothing in it that's gonna hurt the wood, and like I said, you don't douse it with the stuff.

I GUARANTEE that if you played any of my guitars, you would NEVER KNOW unless I told you that I cleaned it with WD-40... 

I just use a little bit of lemoil/parafin oil, but only the first time I played it. now, 18 months later, the neck is glossy in its look, like it's oiled with truoil, but its not; its just the grease and sweat from my own hands :)

I like to use Mineral Oil.

The best thing about Mineral Oil is that is not harmful. Butchers have used it for years to keep their butcher blocks oiled. It can also be taken internally. To me, that is a plus since it will be in contact with your skin. There is no smell and it is very inexpensive, you can get it at the pharmacy.( look where they keep the laxatives)

Just a small amount on a cloth will go a long way.

Somewhere on UseNet there's a post by Roger Sadowsky explaining why Lemon Oil is *not* recommended for fingerboards. Can't remember what he did recommend, wish I could find that post.

I used to use Lemon Oil until I read Roger's post...now I just don't clean my fingerboards at all!

Funky Phil said:
Dr Duck's Ax Wax.
Yep, I love the Dr. Ducks. Great on rosewood, ebony, etc.  Keeps the wood from drying out, cleans it,  and there is actually no wax in the product (wax would be bad.)  One bottle lasts forever.

I have used a bit of olive oil 2-3 times a year.  Just the plain old stuff used for cooking.  Small amount needed.  Just dip the finger and rub in.  the re-dip ever 4-5 frets or when finger is dry.  Let is soak in for a few minutes and use a lint free cloth to get off the excess.  I have a 20 year old Charvel that looks brand new!!!

I think the OP was talking about the neck, not the fretboard..should you have to oil the entire neck.....dont think so...

Brian

Yeah, I thought he was talking about the fingerboard. I'd never put WD-40 (or any other oily substance) on the entire neck...

Back