Wenge or Rosewood necks

thePRSlover

I'm torn between a full Rosewood or wenge Gibson conversion neck. It's gonna be on a mahogany body (Maple Cap as well) with a tremolo. I played a Wenge neck on a Strat. it was a lively guitar, but absurdly bright. I thought it be better suited to a mahogany body. I'm a Santana fan, and I like that sound and sustain of that guitar. I play a Les paul standard 2012. The tone is perfect except its not lively enough. its missing a tremolo, i just want a simple 1 vol 1 tone system, and a Double cutaway.
I do like Dimarzio pickups. They have a musicality that I just don't hear or feel from SDs. The PRSs of today is bit too much of a straty les paul tonally and feel. I basically want a Les Paul with the convenience and practicality of a strat.

FYI, upcoming in a couple weeks is a shootout video between exotic wood necks. I'll be doing:

Roasted Maple (for reference)
Canary
Wenge
Mahogany
Rosewood
Cool! Any chance you'll incorporate the blind testing idea? Could generate a lot of comments and useful insights.

That'll be interesting to see if it comports with my experience. My "brightest" neck is wenge, and my warmest is mahogany. Rosewood is closer to wenge. Wenge has more overtones than maple. Maple is bright, like rosewood but with not as many over tones. Never played canary. The one with the slickest feel is wenge, and rosewood feels rich. The most versitile is probably maple on alder body.

I know these don't fit the criteria, so it just goes to show you that wood depends. They are all good.
Edit:
Let me add that goncalo feels luxurious, and in terms of sound, to me, seems to be between mahogany and korina, with just touch of overtones taken away.

Wood is very individualistic.

Last edited:
Video is finished. The woods I used ended up being:

Roasted Maple (as a baseline)
Canary
Wenge
Rosewood
Goncalo Alves

The video turned out pretty good. One of my better shootouts, IMO. Now that it's done it has been interesting comparing my observations to the "official" tone guides on the Warmoth website neck woods page. I didn't consult that page beforehand or make any attempt to parrot what it says there. My comments in the video are strictly based on what I heard and felt during shooting.

The shootout video is scheduled to go live on June 12th. (I have a couple others already scheduled between now and then.)

Video is finished. The woods I used ended up being:

Roasted Maple (as a baseline)
Canary
Wenge
Rosewood
Goncalo Alves

The video turned out pretty good. One of my better shootouts, IMO. Now that it's done it has been interesting comparing my observations to the "official" tone guides on the Warmoth website neck woods page. I didn't consult that page beforehand or make any attempt to parrot what it says there. My comments in the video are strictly based on what I heard and felt during shooting.

The shootout video is scheduled to go live on June 12th. (I have a couple others already scheduled between now and then.)
Oh wow, the vid is coming out 2 days before my birthday 🤣 I'll consider this an early birthday present from Aaron

Back