swmp ash jazzmaster

dogman

Hello! First post. After a couple of months of checking out Warmoth & lots of other sites my recipes for a jazzmaster: swamp ash body w/ Mary Kaye finish, Goncalo Alves unfinished neck (thanks CB) tortoishell pkguard @ check http://www.guitar-mod.com/rg_jm_cat5.html for harness & pickups(novak jzmstrs + amazing switching 4k - 16k on bridge pup). Also Jazzmaster trem w/ Warmoth mustang bridge. I love the vintage JMs but if I cant afford an orig JM or import a rosewood fretboard I may as well create my own monster. Any ideas?

I just ordered a Swamp Ash JM myself and was looking at the Goncalo necks. I just love the grain patterns in those, and it goes well with the colour scheme. Unfortunately, tonally I don't think it's going to work for what I want so Wenge might be the go.

Electronic wise, I'll be incorporating 3 Mustang style slide switches in a similar set-up as the Rothstein mods you've linked to. I'll be using 2 switchable P90s myself (wound with compound wire coils that get cut), so it sounds like we have some very similar ideas.

jackthehack said:
86 the J-master/Mustang tremolo and put a real tremolo unit on it

+1 on the above - your guitar / your call. Make time for the required due diligence on your project......you'll be glad you did
icon_wink.gif

Yeah, there are many interesting trems out there that hold tune well. Do a bit of searching around and you'll probably be glad you did. The jazzmaster is an excellent choice in my opinion, and going with a white finish like that should complement the neck.

Thanks for the feedback. I've played a lot of different JMs in the past & although the JM is a unreliable I love the action. They're my fave for mild pitchshift/glides - I'm no divebomber. My thinking is that the ash/goncalo combo will warm & snappy.

Back