Swamp Ash G4 simplicity

datsgor

I just finished this and got done playing..........very Midrangy/Growly. I like it...very different from my Jazz and P-Bass. 8.6 lbs...I was hoping for lighter...but I'll take under 9lbs anyday.  The neck is Ebony/Birdseye...I had it made back in '88 by Warmoth. It's been floating around different projects for the last 15 years.....I think it will stay with this one though.   Peace, John
PICT0019-4.jpg

PICT0020.jpg

O.K. here is the headstock and some of the birdseye on the back......thanks for the posative comments. I am glad to see others appreciate simple things too.
PICT0012.jpg

PICT0014.jpg

sooooo nice! the simple things are very often some of the best things.

6 posts and already two stunning basses, I like where this is going datsgor :icon_biggrin:

Wow-- that is a beautiful instrument.  It's simple, but not cheap-looking.  Sometimes the simple stuff ends up looking cheap, but this has a very refined look to it.

Man, that looks growly!  Love it!
And you know, the J bass headstock doesn't look too bad on the G4, I thought it would look out-of-place...

Rickgrxbass said:
And you know, the J bass headstock doesn't look too bad on the G4, I thought it would look out-of-place...

that warmoths warhead head stock, and i want that combo of a g4 body with a warhead, so bad!  but a wenge neck i wish i had cash.
i love the pup combo, ive been looking for a bass with that combo, guess i should just build one.

datsgor: does that mm have an alnico or ceramic mag, and what sd model is the j?
my ider is a ceramic mm with a quarter pound jazz in the neck.

Sir SchmoopY said:
Rickgrxbass said:

that warmoths warhead head stock, and i want that combo of a g4 body with a warhead, so bad!   but a wenge neck i wish i had cash.
i love the pup combo, ive been looking for a bass with that combo, guess i should just build one.

datsgor: does that mm have an alnico or ceramic mag, and what sd model is the j?
my ider is a ceramic mm with a quarter pound jazz in the neck.

It's a Hot for Jazz STK-J2  and the MM is Alnico mag......I am going to switch the neck pup for a Dimarzio Model J...I like the adjustable poles on that pup better. also I think it is more "growly" (I love using that word) and last but not least...what is this Warhead headstock you are talking about?......havn't seen anything like that on the websight.  Peace, John

i always heard people call it the warhead, its warmoths discontinued straight headstock there are about three other guitars with it on this forum.

Sir SchmoopY said:
i always heard people call it the warhead, its warmoths discontinued straight headstock there are about three other guitars with it on this forum.

It isn't discontinued, just not listed on the website.  We can do the Warhead on any straight headstock design neck.

Wyliee said:
Sir SchmoopY said:

It isn't discontinued, just not listed on the website.  We can do the Warhead on any straight headstock design neck.

I would be interested in seeing it....I cut that headstock in 1988 when I first got it.  hmmmmm, I wonder if I missed out on a patenting opertunity? :laughing7:  peace, John

Wyliee said:
Sir SchmoopY said:

what was the up charge, for that head stock again, im getting my ducks in a row (maybe if things pan out) ill be the proud owner of a warmoth bass, specs are classified, don't want you guys taking my stolen ideas.

Interesting setup. Looks nice. I'm beginning to put together a warmoth now. I was looking at using just jass pickups. How do you feel the MM addition changes your tonal choices from a standard dual J-bass?

Well, I don't have the MM wired into a series/parallel switch, so it is pretty straight forward. Very MM. The bass sounds best with both pups full on...the neck pup really gives the MM the fullness that it needs (I like).  I wasn't too sure about the bass until last week, I took it to an outdoor gig through my Genz Benz/Eden 4x10 cab and it sits very well in the mix. The midrang-i-ness is quite nice....got a few nice compliments on the sound. I think I will do some experimenting an the wiring.....series vs. parallel. 1st and formost I am a P-bass guy with my G&L jazz bass a very close second. I would say if you like the Jazz configuration...go for that. I am still getting used to the MM sound.  Peace, John

datsgor said:
I am still getting used to the MM sound. 

Not to slam MM - but your's has to be fuller/richer/more solid, and a darn site prettier. Nice axe  :guitaristgif:

Back