Surf Green Jazz Bass Completed

Freekmagnet

Actually, new bass day was a couple of days ago. I've been too busy rocking out on this thing and loving it to stop and take photos.

I posted about this bass in the "Out of the Box" section a few months ago, and my thread was completely hijacked. In any case, here it is in all it's glory.

I bought the body and neck from Warmoth. Most of the parts I got here on TB. Others I got on Fleabay. I had it assembled by Tracy Longo here in Ventura, CA. He did an amazing job. This bass is solid as a rock.

Parts:

Alder Jazz Body in Surf Green
Maple/Rosewood Neck
Lindy Fralin PU's
Gotoh 201 Bridge
Fender Closed Back Tuners
PG, Control Plate and pretty much everything else is Fender
D'addario Chromes

8729549781_2a86d3a896_b.jpg

8729549953_a8ea8847d0_b.jpg

8729549817_f4e0f65b72_b.jpg

8729549925_22695b44f7_b.jpg

8729549901_7a7331e034_b.jpg

So sexy! What type of music do you play?

Love it all, good choice on colors. Very tasteful, I get tired of the flame tops, pointy "axes", and hippie sandwiches. :headbang1:

Aw, man! that is just gorgeous! I gotta agree; bursts and flame-tops are great, but the simple beauty of those classic solid colors never loses merit! -reminds me of the sonic blue fretless I just put together... except surf green sports and supports the tortoise shell like no other solid color, in my opinion.

A Beautifully classic J!

Altar said:

Love it all, good choice on colors. Very tasteful, I get tired of the flame tops, pointy "axes", and hippie sandwiches. :headbang1:

I think you and I are on the same page, Altar.

I play mostly classic stuff. Soul, rock, roots rock, R&B. I'm trying to get a gig in a Latin Rock band now.

Freekmagnet said:
Altar said:

I play mostly classic stuff. Soul, rock, roots rock, R&B. I'm trying to get a gig in a Latin Rock band now.

Love it. Definitely on the same page. Maybe even the same line. :toothy12:

What are the specs?

Altar said:
Freekmagnet said:
Altar said:

Love it. Definitely on the same page. Maybe even the same line. :toothy12:

What are the specs?

Specs? I'm not too good with specs. Sorry.  :confused4:

I can tell you this about the parts is that the body and neck were both showcase items. The neck - standard contour, 10" radius, 6150 frets, satin nitro finish.

Jumble Jumble said:
Gorgeous. Great photography too - wanna talk about that a bit?

As far as photography, I can give you more info. I'm a professional photographer so...

Exposure 1/125 Sec @ f3.2-f4.5
Panasonic Lumix GH2 with Olympus 45mm lens and a Lumix 25mm lens
ISO 160

Alien Bees B800 Monolight w/ a 30"x40" softbox

The bass was placed on my dining room table. The light was placed above and to the slightly to the left of the instrument - pointed at roughly 60° to the subject.

Hope that helps.

Freekmagnet said:
As far as photography, I can give you more info. I'm a professional photographer so...

ISO 160

Very helpful. I thought you must be using off-camera flash but I'm impressed that it's one with one light! And on your dining table too. It really does go to show what good quality light does to photography. Am I right in thinking that you left the light and the guitar in the same place and walked around shooting the various angles handheld?

So it looks like to photograph mine I should definitely get a decent monolight. How are you triggering it? And are you setting the power manually?

Jumble Jumble said:
Freekmagnet said:

ISO 160

Very helpful. I thought you must be using off-camera flash but I'm impressed that it's one with one light! And on your dining table too. It really does go to show what good quality light does to photography. Am I right in thinking that you left the light and the guitar in the same place and walked around shooting the various angles handheld?

So it looks like to photograph mine I should definitely get a decent monolight. How are you triggering it? And are you setting the power manually?

Mostly yes to your questions The only "No" is the moving the guitar bit. I changed the position slightly on one of the frames; the images shot from the top of the bass looking towards the bridge. I only moved it a few inches. And also,  I did use a tripod for some of the initial shots. Once I got the exposure nailed, I was able to walk around with the camera a bit.

I use one of these to trigger my lights:

http://www.amazon.com/Cactus-V5-Wireless-Flash-Trigger/dp/B005DFI5ZY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368484611&sr=8-1&keywords=cactus+v5+trigger

A softbox really helps, but you could actually kind of replicate this look fairly easily if you have a large north - facing widow or a table close to another window on an overcast day. Set your as close to the light source as possible. An open garage door works pretty well, too. Our dining table is too big to move by myself, and I just wanted to do a quick little set-up and break down while the woman and child were out and about. Took me about 45 minutes.

You can do a lot with one light, or no light for that matter. I don't know how cheap you are, but there's some pretty cool DIY lighting sites out there. Some of the tips get good results.

I've always maintained, that a good story teller can make a trip to the grocery store into an epic novel. Whenever i play with the builder, I always gravitate towards the wood toned stuff. Then this comes along and makes me go hmmmmmm.

Just to add another adjective -- Righteous!!! :headbang:

swarfrat said:
Whenever i play with the builder, I always gravitate towards the wood toned stuff. Then this comes along and makes me go hmmmmmm.
+1 and I am almost always allergic to anything in green, but I love this!  :icon_thumright:

Thanks for the tip - I tried out the table-next-to-a-window-on-an-overcast day thing yesterday to get a couple of shots of pickups and they came out nicely.

339_neck1.jpg

339_bridge1.jpg

Looking at them now I see the white balance is different, should have set it manually. Never mind.
EDIT: fixed that white balance now.

But yes, thread hijack over, lovely bass. I'd like a shot where the tortoiseshell "pops" a bit more?

You guys need an unofficialnikon.com forum lol! -Just kidding, I am totally loving the great photography on this thread so far. I would love to be able to take photos anything like these, -they are absolutely beautiful!

I agree about the pick-guard. Like I said before, (short of white or black... but not really that short,) that surf green has gotta be the number one solid color to back the tortie p/g! 

Back