Mystery bass rattle - truss or stiffening rod?

@stratamania I had changed strings when I tried better seating the bushings, which is also when this got worse. May change them again because the fabric wrappings of the strings around the tuning pegs has gotten a little ragged after removing and replacing the strings so many times.

@stratamania I had changed strings when I tried better seating the bushings, which is also when this got worse. May change them again because the fabric wrappings of the strings around the tuning pegs has gotten a little ragged after removing and replacing the strings so many times.

Okay.

@stratamania Actually ugh I spoke too soon. It seemed better, but the relief wasn't dialed in after taking the neck off and straightening it out to do the spot levels. After removing additional relief, the sound immediately came back. With more relief, the sound goes away, but I can't cleanly play on upper frets.

Holding down directly on the nut or just behind it doesn't do anything. Muting the strings in between the nut and first fret eliminates the noise entirely (using a capo on 6th fret so I have an extra hand).

Think I will take to a luthier as I'm sort of out ideas here.

@stratamania @Rick Found this. Had never heard of this phenomenon before, but now everything makes sense.

Basically, looks like I cut the nut slot a bit too deep. I stuck a piece of paper in the nut slot as described in the video, and voila buzz is gone. Adding relief also eliminates the buzz as I'd discovered.

In efforts to fix the buzzy low F note, I had lowered the nut slot a bit, which then introduced this back buzz. The open low E string is not especially buzzy, at least not enough to make me suspect the nut slot. The back buzz is super metallic and either sounds like hardware rattling or actually causes the hardware to rattle a bit, which led me on the wild goose chase.

I can maybe fill the nut slot for now, but I'll want to get a new nut long term. I'll bring to a pro.

Last edited:
@stratamania @Rick Found this. Had never heard of this phenomenon before, but now everything makes sense.

Basically, looks like I cut the nut slot a bit too deep. I stuck a piece of paper in the nut slot as described in the video, and voila buzz is gone. Adding relief also eliminates the buzz as I'd discovered.

In efforts to fix the buzzy low F note, I had lowered the nut slot a bit, which then introduced this back buzz. The open low E string is not especially buzzy, at least not enough to make me suspect the nut slot. The back buzz is super metallic and either sounds like hardware rattling or actually causes the hardware to rattle a bit, which led me on the wild goose chase.

I can maybe fill the nut slot for now, but I'll want to get a new nut long term. I'll bring to a pro.

Good that finally the cause is found. So when you mentioned earlier you had brought the nut slot down, it probably was also too low before that.

I have noticed that on a guitar before, which can sound sitar like. String trees also tend to cover up those types of things (not that I think string trees are the answer). But yes, you need a well cut nut.

Back