Sultans Of Swing / Sweet Child Of Mine - Recording with Warmoth H-S-H + JVM410h

wolbai

Hi to all,

I have my Marshall JVM410h amp now for 6 weeks and I soon will replace this amp in my current guitar rig for gigging.

During the setup phase I have also tested the emulated Line Out recording capability of the Marshall JVM410h:  together with a good audio interface, the emulated Line Out is pretty okay for home recording IMO.

I recorded two songs I am practicing currently to perform with my Band in the near future.

(In case of interest: I have taken the playbacks from http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/ There are plenty of free of charge guitar backing tracks. Not all are good. But some are pretty useful.)

I have recently installed a TREMOL-NO system in the FR-Tremolo of my Warmoth H-S-H built to do double stops and country bends in pitch. On both songs I have locked the tremolo with the TREMOL-NO. Properly installed and used, the TREMOL-NO system is pretty good IMO. I lock the FR-Tremolo for about 80-90% of the time. For the remaining songs of my Band I use the free floating mode of the TREMOL-NO. 

The first song is Sultans Of Swing. (I tested the Clean / Green channel. Amazingly warm and clean tone for a Marshall amp).
The two Doug Aldrich humbuckers are coil splitted. I am using the both outer coils of the neck and bridge pickup for recording. I cannot enough emphasize the great coil splitting capabilities of these Suhr pickups. Very Strat-like tone.

Honestly speaking I haven't completely nailed this song so far. Still need some practicing time, especially for the outro lead part to do it smoother. But I think it shows the great clean tone of this amp together with my beloved Warmoth H-S-H guitar:

EDIT: I accidently uploaded originally an old recording version. This is the correct one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvwImkPNT8&feature=youtu.be

The second song is Sweet Child of Mine. (I am using the OD1-Green channel for Rhythm, OD1-Orange channel for Rhythm and the shorter lead parts. For the longer lead parts, I have used OD2-Red channel of the JVM410).

A Line6 POD HD500 works as a Multi-FX unit and midi-controller in my guitar rig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKcO9j_3Nz0&feature=youtu.be

I am gigging since 8 months now with my Warmoth H-S-H built. It is my primary guitar. Very versatile and nice playing. Just great :headbang:

Let me know what you're thinking about.

Good job! I'm not sure why you're not satisfied with your playing on "Sultans of Swing" - I'm sure I've heard over a dozen bands do it and yours is the best. My only criticisms on that track would be that there's WAY too much reverb, particularly on the vocals. But, you said you were using canned backing tracks, so maybe that's the culprit. Tough to get rid of if that's the case. Also, the guitar is slightly buried in the mix. Might want to kick that up a bit.

Agree good rendition, and could do with being louder in the mix.

I can hear what you mean about the outro solo, I would lose the pick for Sultans. Although I don't think many will worry about it as you are close.

Hi Cagey + stratamania,

thanks for your feedback :headbang:

The level of reverb is challenging and crucial in the same way for this particular song IMO. I have experimented quite a bit on that. The playback I have used, was provided as an MP3-file. I agree: the vocals are way too much reverb, but therefore no chance for any change.

The level of reverb in the three guitar tracks (2 left and right panned Rhythm parts for approx. 2/3) and the licks / lead parts) I have recorded, could be also a bit reduced, but not so much as the Vocals IMO. This would also contribute to be more present in the mix. May be there wouldn't be that much volume to add then.

I am always pretty much self-aware to my playing which is my driving force to constantly get better. The flipside of the medal: I am nearly never really satisfied  :sad1:
If I compare my level of this song currently (still haven't gigged it so far) I know, it is above average what I have seen / heard so far. But this is not my benchmark  :icon_biggrin:

The outro lead part is tricky for me, because I am not a fingerstyle player. I used to play fingerstyle technique occasionally in songs like Dust in the wind or the Intro-part of La Grange. I have tried the outro lead part in fingerstyle, but the song is approx. 20 bpms too fast for that. So the remaining option for me is currently to play it with my Dunlop Small Stubby 3.0 mm. What a change :icon_biggrin: I have the pick between my fingers while playing the first parts.

EDIT: (4.9.14): This is a new better balanced mix of the recording. Check it out:

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=12901328&q=hi&newref=1

wolbai

Nice the guitar is much more prominent now...

The strive to be better I am familiar with that.

But seriously you are doing it well.

Back