Stripped, what's next?

Notyethendrix

Hi guys, I made a post before on how to refinish my warmoth LP, got some tips. But then I took the long road...... I stripped it down  :icon_jokercolor:  Oooh well, took me around 5 hours, thanks for my friend Mr Power Sander, and now it's ready for anything. (There's some redish dye on the top, but I want to stop here unless it's necessary to sand them away)

b141940291.jpg

b141940258.jpg

Haven't made up my mind yet, but I'm considering something like this:

aa_prs_charcoal_a.jpg

or perhaps very dark wine red

LP%20Custom_1.jpg

or something like what Dan has done

http://www.warmoth.com/gallery/galcontainer.cfm?id=437

What would you guys do if this is your top?  I know nothing about the finishing procedures, but I surely will do my homework.

Very nearly bought a second hand one of those customs recently in that colour. It had been buggered about with too much tho.

To be honest that colour doesn't look a million miles away from what you already had! I'm not calling you a picky bugger you understand :icon_biggrin:

I'd  go for something completely different mate given the work its already taken you.

Soloshchenko said:
Very nearly bought a second hand one of those customs recently in that colour. It had been buggered about with too much tho.

To be honest that colour doesn't look a million miles away from what you already had! I'm not calling you a picky bugger you understand :icon_biggrin:

I'd  go for something completely different mate given the work its already taken you.

True mate, if I do red again I'll be bloody stupid.  :doh:

I kinda fancy what Dan did, it makes it almost Koa like

dark dark dark dark dark darker than the darkest shade times 2 BLOOD RED!!!!!!!    :evil4: 50 times darker than this guy.

from the picture, you appear to have quite a bit of deep sanding scratches.  What did you sand with, 60 grit?  If so, you are going to have to do some finish sanding with 220 or 320 before its ready to finish, and you might end up pulling the rest of the red out in that process. 

For the finish, do a trans blue with multi color pearl

Oh dude! I can't believe you've done it....  :tard:

Yes, although you make it in a very different red, it will be stupid to refinish in red, so I like the -CB- blue and the Dan's almost Koa...

Perhaps a transparent white!
Or something like this:
http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_bodies.cfm?type=guitar&start=1&itemNumber=VIPP123&menuItem=9&subMenuItem=0&subMenuItem2=0
http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_bodies.cfm?type=guitar&start=1&itemNumber=VIPP116&menuItem=9&subMenuItem=0&subM

chuck7 said:
from the picture, you appear to have quite a bit of deep sanding scratches.  What did you sand with, 60 grit?  If so, you are going to have to do some finish sanding with 220 or 320 before its ready to finish, and you might end up pulling the rest of the red out in that process. 

For the finish, do a trans blue with multi color pearl

You're right mate, it's still pretty rough after 60 grit sanding, will do a finer touch this weekend  :icon_thumright:

Okay, I nailed it down to that 'Dan finish' and dyed gray black (sorry CB, but that's a great top!)

But I need help on the procedures, and most probably I'll choose the easy one.

dankaplowitz3m.jpg

sc1-1.jpg

Please feel free to give me guides/tips!!!  :headbang:

Well, to me, the top one looks like a stain and maybe an oil finish, or some such.  The bottom is died and most certainly a sprayed clear finish.  If you are not setup to do spraying, you are limited a bit in your options, though I think some here have had good experience with ReRanch's rattle can products.

Well, first off I'd like to say she is absolutely the best guitar I have ever played! She is a flat topped korina LP, with a flame maple top. I used a reddish brown stain on her and it just blew me away after I had put the finish on her. I wanted to stain her a red originally but I'm glad I didn't. I did mess up the finish in a few places but that's no big problem, I plan to go over her again some day and refinish her. She's got a mahogany neck with a rosewood fretboard with trapezoid inlays, which is amazing because the wood has a flame type design running up it. When I saw that neck in the Showcase I knew I would have to get it! I did the same procedure on her neck as her body, stained and finished. I had a professional set the neck and inlay a nut. The wiring I was planning to do myself but ended up screwing up (seeing as how this is the first time I have ever done such a thing) and had the same guy do it. Everything else was done by me. By far, this is the best neck I have ever played on! Her tone is INCREDIBLE! I'm a metalhead so I equipped her with a duncan Invader in the neck and a JB model in the bridge. I can't believe it, I go into Guitar World, pick up a 3,000 dollar PRS and say to myself, "Mine is better". Believe me, if you got the time, connections, and are willing to do the work you WANT TO buy, make, steal a Warmoth guitar! I'm never buying a factory made guitar again, NEVER! I'd rather spend the time to make another, I doubt anyone makes as good a neck shape as Warmoth (and yes, I have compared it to Gibsons and Fenders). It's just perfect for me!

Dan Kaplowitz

bahh, sorry, I got confused :)  I didn't realize the "Dan finish" guitar was one of yours, I thought it was just one you were pointing out that you liked the look of.  So I thought the post you made describing it was about the one you posted about first that you had sanded, and you had finished finishing and assembly... ya... so... confused like I said  :toothy10:

oops, sorry guys got you all confused. That one is Dan's guitar, which I think is brilliant. And I quoted what Dan said on the warmoth gallery, so it's not my experience on how to finish a guitar at all :icon_thumright:

This is my top, dyed twice, and sanding back, but kinda tired today.  So I'll do the rest this weekend  :redflag:

b142460386.jpg

b142460453.jpg

2nd dye is still air drying

But I don't know what colour is the right thing for that 'almost koa top' brown.....

Back