stress

hannaugh said:
Um, does real stress include waking up in the morning to find one of the family members you live with dead in their bed?  Cause, that's what happened to me last year.  Oh yeah, and at the same time we had my other family members threatening to commit suicide and yet another one screaming insane things at me on a daily basis and calling me worthless, while I'm trying to hold down 2 jobs and graduate from school AND take care of said people, even though they are all older than me. 

And to all who assume we're having a big wedding... my problem is explaining to everyone that we don't want to spend lots of money and we want it to be as casual and private as possible.  You would be amazed how many people act like you are a weirdo when you're a woman and you say that you don't want a fancy wedding.  We are also having a fairly non-traditional wedding, and that is causing a lot of annoying comments from various family members who insist that we do what they want us to do and not what we want to do. 

Yeah those things are pretty stressful. But you didn't mention them so you know...

I don't think anyone assumed what kind of wedding you were having - the conversation just drifted into talk about ridiculous weddings. The annoying comments from family that think you should do things how they'd like it are what inspired my wife and I to elope. We just didn't want to deal with it at all. We came back and had a big party after the fact - some people were disappointed but they got over it.

Which reminds me - I really need to get a suit soon. I HAVE to go to my brother-in-law's wedding and I've got nothing to wear. I normally don't do weddings at all (which pisses people off sometimes) but this one I haven't figured a way out of. I hate being stuck at a wedding for hours.

I've got a friend who would get really stressed out. The last 2 times I called her, she had panic attacks.

Ummm, Max - what did you say to her.....

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Helping other people is great, if that's what you're good at - it can also be quite self-destructive, depending. I know a few people who run around like banshees saving everybody, and they're worse off when they're not bansheeing around. "Nurturing Banshee" is their default mode & design parameter. For others (me), it can get toxic if you're not benefiting directly your own self - families can get ugly, we have/had some go off the deep end who tried to drag others along with them. I don't believe Jesus said this, the Gospel of Thomas was written in the 4th Century, but whoever's scamming here still had a point:

If you bring forth what is within you,
What you bring forth will save you.
If you do not bring forth what is within you,
What you do not bring forth will destroy you.

I translate that as "different strokes for different folks" - you cannot let others yank you off your center, and families specialize in that.

I don't think people should get married nowadays in the US... for the sole fact that the stupid gov't becomes involved, and because of No-Fault divorce.

Not to mention marriage isn't taken seriously anymore.

(or, if we could just keep the gov't & its laws out of marriage...)

Far too many dumbasses have abused the concept of marriage to the point where there are draconian laws in place; especially for men.

EDIT:  I should add that I am for marriage, but not the way we do it in America today; it's a fookin' joke.

We have talked about eloping many times.  For a while that was actually our official plan.  I have no problem doing that to get away from my insane family, but his family is really nice and his mom wants to help with it (she only has boys, so she is excited about having a daughter in law and having other women to plan a wedding with, etc...).  Plus I have a lot of friends who are excited about various things (like my best friend from way back is a seamstress and she really wants to make me a dress, another friend wants to plan a big thing for the bridesmaids, another friend is supposed to perform the ceremony).  

We're just going to do a small private ceremony with just family and a couple friend and then have a really casual party after we get back from the honeymoon with more people.  Even that is just too radical for some people.  Normally it wouldn't bother me, but having to tell 5 people a day to shut the eff up is tiring after a while.  

... and yes, I've been taking care of people my whole life, and I don't want to do it anymore.  I think my family may have ruined any desire I had to have children.  

I really wish you two the best! My wife and I are nearly at 5 years, and it has been the best time of our lives. Yeah, we've been through a lot, naturally. You can't help but have things shaken up when you suddenly assume a new way of life and a new level of commitment (the highest level of commitment possible if you ask me).

I encourage you to always push through, to not give up when things get bad, and to hopefully live the rest of your lives together.

Also, don't think you're "less of a person" just because things other than snipers stress you out. Stress is a part of life, and it can even come from many small things. Don't lose your focus in life, always find time to relax, and always find time for some sort of physical exercise. Oh, and play the guitar.

You could go back to your original plan and elope, just tell your future mom-in-law or whomever else you DO want to deal with/invite where you're getting married in Vegas or wherever. Tell all the people around you harassing you that it's off. Since you're moving, don't leave a forwarding address.

Good luck to you!

Thanks guys! 

I'm trying to get as much exercise as possible these days, it really helps.  My music stuff is very relaxing too.  I get my Warmoth LP stuff in a couple weeks, so I'm sure that will take my mind off the insanity for a while as well.

Everyone else take it easy too.  Drink a beer, listen to Zeppelin!

Yeah, there is absolutely no line anymore that some people will not cross when it comes to marriage talk.  Like I said, me and the little lady have been together well over a decade, and we have two kids.  We have a very good relationship.  It has lasted longer than most of my friends who got married, and I don't see anything coming along anytime soon to break it up.  When people find out that we are not married in the technical sense, they almost always flip.  Then the questions start.  My damn Tax lady was freaking on me just a couple weeks ago.  "Yes 'mam, I have two kids, but I am filing as single."  "No 'mam, their mother does not claim them."  "No 'mam, I'm not divorced."  "No 'mam, she didn't die, is this part of the tax form?" "Yes 'mam she lives with us."  "Mam, really, can we just get on with it?"  "No 'mam, I'm not scared of hell."  Freaking H and R Block. 

hannaugh said:
Everyone else take it easy too.  Drink a beer, listen to Zeppelin!

If you don't mind, m'aam, I'm gonna listen to the dead and do a Jay if that is ok with you.......

My wife and I got married a little over a year and a half ago.  Our wedding was big for us, about 120 people and honestly, I don't know of anyone that is in our lives of any significance to either of us wasn't there.  We pretty much had everybody we knew at our special phucking day.  It was really a great day for the both of us.  My wife had graduated from nursing school the week before, my son was my best man, my dad looked superb in his tux.  All was perfect.  My bro's that were in the wedding party brought with them a handle of Maker's Mark Whisky to help the ceremony along, with a couple of coctails at 10 am.  Our wedding was the first of three in 07 for our circle of friends, and all that attended all three said our was the most fun out of all of them.  We kept it casual for the guests, and provided a lot of top shelf booze, which my friends really dig.  I ended up getting pretty wasted by the end of the ceremony, but that is another story in itself.  We did what we wanted, because we paid for it, and believe me everyone we knew had suggestions of 'what would be perfect'  We figured out after a while just to say 'oh that is a great idea, we'll do this or that'  and truthfully, we didn't change much of what we decided.  We wanted matching Cadillacs for the wedding party.  I have a real good buddy that works for Enterprise Rent a Car, he put that together (and almost lost his job for it)  and our reception was at the restaurant that my wife worked at while she was a student, so they really went out of their way to make everything perfect.  We have both said to each other that we wouldn't have changed a thing.  Bottom line is it is your "Special Phucking Day" as we ended up referring to ours as.  Do what you want, not what your mom wants or his great auntie once removed wants.  And good idea on the private thing, if you don't like your uncle Guiseppe, don't invite him, he'll get over it!  Ours was the happiest day of our adult lives, and we were glad to share it with our friends and family.  We even had the DJ play a 95% Grateful Dead song list....  I even told him not to take requests and absolutely no top 40 dance crap, and he didn't play any, even though some of the guests got a little snotty with him.  At one point he asked me if he could play some dance music that the guests were requesting and I told him that it would be fine, as I wouldn't pay him (I made him put it on the contract that none of that crap would be played, or I wouldn't pay him, he agreed) and he actually made an announcement (jokingly) that I wouldn't pay him if he played "My Humps" or any Phish songs, the guests started laughing and kept saying that was very typical of me, and now it is a joke amongst my friends.  So you see, we didn't care who we pissed on or off, it was our day and it was perfect!!!!  Hell we even had the photographer take pictures of us with our beagle in a little beagle sized tux with us!!!!! 

Chill out Hannaugh, it is the home stretch, my suggestion is take everyone's advise but use none of it.  And smoke a freakin Jay, you are in California, it is legal there, you'll feel better I promise.

guitlouie said:
Yeah, there is absolutely no line anymore that some people will not cross when it comes to marriage talk.  Like I said, me and the little lady have been together well over a decade, and we have two kids.  We have a very good relationship.  It has lasted longer than most of my friends who got married, and I don't see anything coming along anytime soon to break it up.  When people find out that we are not married in the technical sense, they almost always flip.  Then the questions start.  My damn Tax lady was freaking on me just a couple weeks ago.  "Yes 'mam, I have two kids, but I am filing as single."  "No 'mam, their mother does not claim them."  "No 'mam, I'm not divorced."  "No 'mam, she didn't die, is this part of the tax form?" "Yes 'mam she lives with us."  "Mam, really, can we just get on with it?"  "No 'mam, I'm not scared of hell."  Freaking H and R Block. 

That's crazy.  People are so freaking nosy.  I wish everyone would just mind their own business.  It's not their bedroom, so why should they care?  I don't understand.  I know a few people who are really nosy about other people's sex lives, and I just think it's weird.  I feel like saying "I can make up whatever lie I want to tell you because it's not something you will ever be a part of, and there is no way you would ever know the difference."  Crazy weirdos.  

It's funny, we had the big gay marriage vote here in CA, and I was thinking "Yes, because we should make sure everyone gets the soul crushing experience of planning a wedding."  I think if and when they pass gay marriage here, the headline in the Onion the next day will be "Gays fight for right to divorce."

As far as the insane wedding crap - I had a woman tell me that we had to have a big fancy wedding if we wanted our guests to give us wedding gifts because "the gifts are like paying admission to the wedding and we would be ripping them off".  Seriously, wtf?  She basically told me that the only reason anyone would come to my wedding would be for the free food, not because anyone likes me or my fiance.  

We want to have pie at the wedding instead of cake, and people FLIP the eff out when I tell them that... "What, not even cupcakes??  You have to at least have cupcakes!  What if there are people who don't like pie?".  I'm constantly getting the "what ifs" from everyone... you know what, what if aliens freaking invade the ceremony?  Jesus people, it's just pie!  And right from the beginning everyone had a problem with our date because we originally wanted to do it on St. Patrick's Day (anniversary of our first date).  "But that's not on a weekend, what if some people have work?"

The absolute worst thing though is going anywhere where my mom's friends or my grandfather's friends will be, because the first thing out of their mouths is "How is the wedding coming along?", and then I have to have an awkward conversation with someone I barely know and have them put in their 2 cents, which is usually not advice that I would ever take, or it's a scolding about how my non-traditional wedding will be inferior to other weddings.  

It's like when you're a kid and everywhere you go people ask you what you're learning in school, and you really want to say "Not much, I hate school," but you know if you do, you'll get a big lecture.  

Anyways, we're just gonna keep it small and have the ceremony on one day, and have a big party after the honeymoon and after we are all moved in to our new place.  That's when we're gonna get the keg of Beamish stout and a keg of Wyder's Pear Cider and have the biggest snake bite toast ever, and have a bbq and play Belle & Sebastian. 

I told my craziest party friend that she could plan a bachelorette party for me, and now she is thinking that we should start off with a combination bachelor/bachelorette party planned by her and the best man, which will be a tarts and vicars party and will involve renting the inflatable chapel and using it as a bounce house.  I guess enventually the boys and girls will split up for respective clubbing eventually, but doesn't that sound insane?  So I guess if the wedding isn't wacky fun, we'll have that to remember. 

Stress relief for a high-strung guitarist like myself?

ZOLOFT- It raises your G.A.S. (give-a-shit) factor.

Been through the winds of Hurricane Ike and an ice storm, both about 5 months apart. The electricity was off for a total of 7 days.

Before I'd have worried myself sick and gone bonkers with no power.

With chemical treatment I just drank whiskey and enjoyed the quiet.

blimpo said:
Stress relief for a high-strung guitarist like myself?

ZOLOFT- It raises your G.A.S. (give-a-shite) factor.

Been through the winds of Hurricane Ike and an ice storm, both about 5 months apart. The electricity was off for a total of 7 days.

Before I'd have worried myself sick and gone bonkers with no power.

With chemical treatment I just drank whiskey and enjoyed the quiet.
Acoustic, maybe.... :dontknow:

I won't offer you any advice about your wedding. It's far too much a personal thing for those involved and I've never been married, so how would I know enough about the stresses of it all.

I wish you well for the planning of it all and hope you don't get worse with illnesses and the like.

I have seen a few friends go down this path too, and in the end, the couple just sat down somewhere quiet, took a deep breath and ended up deciding to do what THEY thought they would like to have in THEIR wedding and to hell what everyone else thought of it. You simply cannot accommodate everyone else's wishes and expectations, and you have to be a bit self indulgent, I suppose, and have the wedding of your dreams.

As for the idiot who was at you about planning a big wedding or no one will give you gifts, cause no one is going because they like you.... Are you sure they aren't telling you what they think of you?.

BTW, the plans you have mentioned about pies, bbq, stout and cider etc. sound real good to me for a St. Patrick's Day wedding. :icon_thumright:

Man, blimpo, that is crazy.  If I was in a 7 day black out, I would either freak out or think it was cool.  I'm not sure which. 

The whole wedding, and really our whole relationship is kind of Ireland/St. Pats themed.  The first thing we ever did together was visiting an Irish fair, and our first official date was dancing at a Fenians concert on St. Pats.  I think the majority of our dinner dates have been at our favorite Irish pub.  We both love Guinness and Beamish.  His favorite drink is the snakebite, so I made him a snake bite cake for his birthday one year.  It was Guinness cake on top, pear cake on the bottom.  His favorite band is Flogging Molly, and we've seen them many times.  Our wedding rings are Celtic style, and he gave me an emerald engagement ring.

It's funny because I am the one who actually is Irish, he just loves Irish stuff.  He kind of adopted it as his culture because his family has been in the US for a long time and is totally mixed and no longer has much of an ethnic identity. 

We're going to Ireland for our honeymoon too.  First stop: Guinness factory in Dublin!  :toothy12:

The Guiness Factory tour is great.  Make sure you get your free pint in the glasshouse at the top.  Then, when you stumble out of there, you can go round the corner to the Jameson's Whiskey factory tour......Excellent day out.

jimh said:
The Guiness Factory tour is great.  Make sure you get your free pint in the glasshouse at the top.  Then, when you stumble out of there, you can go round the corner to the Jameson's Whiskey factory tour......Excellent day out.

Sign me up.... :cool01:

jimh said:

I lived in (and near) Dublin for almost 7 years and never went to do the Guiness Factory Tour. :) now drinking the stuff is what I spend most my time doing.
Hannaugh, you will love Dublin! are you going to do some travelling or are you just staying in the city?

We're starting in Dublin, but we want to go out and see ruins and castles and stuff like that too.  Cable (my fiance) has been reading this tour book he got for Christmas, and we're supposed to go talk to a travel agent on Friday.  I'm so excited.  I've only been out of the country once, and that was when I went to Canada.  Ireland, England, and Scotland are the motherland for me, so I've always wanted to see those places. 

Everyone I know who has been to the Guinness factory tells me that it is like going to Willy Wonka's chocolate factory.  I've also heard that the Guinness we have here is not as good as the Guinness that is over there. 

Good luck on the wedding, Hannaugh! I've liked the idea of lower-key weddings, personally. Kinda like "yeah. We're married. Enjoy." Then again, most parties I hold now are... hang out. Pizza. That's pretty much it. I love the simplicity.

Enjoy it!

Back