stress

Max said:
Good luck on the wedding, Hannaugh! I've liked the idea of lower-key weddings, personally. Kinda like "yeah. We're married. Enjoy." Then again, most parties I hold now are... hang out. Pizza. That's pretty much it. I love the simplicity.

Enjoy it!

Thanks Max.  That's what we're going for  :icon_smile:

DangerousR6 said:
blimpo said:
Stress relief for a high-strung guitarist like myself?

ZOLOFT- It raises your G.A.S. (give-a-shitee) factor.

Been through the winds of Hurricane Ike and an ice storm, both about 5 months apart. The electricity was off for a total of 7 days.

Before I'd have worried myself sick and gone bonkers with no power.

With chemical treatment I just drank whiskey and enjoyed the quiet.
Acoustic, maybe.... :dontknow:

Too cold in the house to get it out.

Hannaugh
When in Ireland, you HAVE to kiss the Blarney Stone... :eek: (It will be one of those ridiculous things you end up doing when on holidays, I guess, he he....  :laughing7: )

I was in Ireland for a week, many years ago. Great time. Saw The Book Of Kells in the Trinity College, wandered past U2's offices in Windmill Lane (?), kissed the Blarney Stone, saw Kinsale (loverly little town outside of Cork), Dingal Bay, Cliff of Moher, Galway, Limerick (and King John's Castle), and on my last day there (and great Sunday afternoon) was back in Dublin and had a great coffee at Bewleys Cafe. All recommended for a touristy laugh. Oh, and I drank a heap of Guinness  :eek:ccasion14:

If you haven't been before, you'll love the place. Coming from Australia, where the ground is so brown and dry, it was a real eye opener (literally!) to see such green pastures.

I stayed in B & Bs all over the place except for Dublin, where I had hotel stays.

This was all in 1994, so things would have obviously changed. But I had a great time for the week I was there, and have always had it high on my list to go there one day for more travelling around.

OzziePete said:
Dingal Bay,

so when you where in Dingle, did you see Funghie ? :icon_biggrin:

I agree that driving around ireland along the coast is probably your best option. Except that it took me 7 years to see everything, and the average american tourist does it in a week! if you go around the coast, make sure not to skip Killkenny, Cahir and Rock of Cashel.

I did go to Blarney Castle, but skipped the kissing part - for 2 reasons.
1/ I didn't want to queue up with all these crazy americans, and 2/ my friends from Cork let me in on a little secret, about what the locals do to the stone at night.

forgot to mention, if you are into mystical stuff, make sure to visit Huntington Castle in a place called Clonegal. It won't be in any tourist book, and maybe not even on the map, but it is a fantastic place! you'll get a tour by the owners, who are real witches (from the order of isis.. or something like that) and you can feel the place is haunted! they will take you to a magic well in the dungeons, where they have their altar for all their rituals. weird but interesting stuff!!
this is in County Carlow, right inbetween Wicklow and Kilkenny.

Um, yeah I know about the Blarney Stone and we are definitely not going to kiss it.  We'll check it out though.  I'm writing this stuff down cause we're going to go see the travel agent today.  I'm so excited about seeing buildings that are super old.  The oldest buildings I have ever seen were in New Orleans and Savannah, so I'm looking forward to seeing stuff that would make that seem new. 

I really want to go to Prague someday too because I heard there are restaurants and inns there that are like a 1000 years old or some crazy shite.  Plus Prague is really pretty. 

hannaugh said:
I'm so excited about seeing buildings that are super old.  The oldest buildings I have ever seen were in New Orleans and Savannah, so I'm looking forward to seeing stuff that would make that seem new. 
If your looking for OLD in Ireland..  Newgrange, Knowth, and Dowth megalithic mound sites are about 5000 years old, the Viking cities of Wexford and Waterford have some great ruins (towers and walls).  Reginald's Tower in Waterford is amazing for a Viking tower...    you can get a map and follow the old city wall ruins too... plenty of great pubs on along the way to stumble into.  Dun Aengus on Inis Mor (aran islands) is a Celtic pre-christian ring fort on the edge of a 300 foot cliff to Galway Bay.  quite ancient.  I lived in Belfast for two years and spent alot of time traveling around, mostly apting for historical/cultural sites versus tourist-y sites.  but as much as Blarney is a toursity spot, I had an absolute blast the first time I went... and nope I didnt kiss it.  but if you want to see the most beautiful part of Ireland, you need to head up to Ulster and see the Coast of Donegal or the North Antrim coast.  Just being in Ireland though you are bound to see old buildings... you can still see the cottages abandoned from the famine, or churches burned out by Cromwell, or old Irish battle sites, old Protestant manor estates, castles, etc.    But if what you seek is great Irish music, that is a different animal all together.  :)

jimh said:
You coming to England at all?

Some day, but probably not on this trip.  We wanted to orginally check out Ireland, England, and Scotland, but it will depend on what kind of deals we are going to get, and I kind of doubt we will be able to afford a trip that cool at this point.  We were thinking about trying to go to London for the next summer Olympics though, which would be a big group trip with his family and some of our friends. 

I really want to see everything in the UK and Ireland.  My family is mostly Northern English and Scottish, but we also have a bunch of Irish mixed in there.  There is a little bit of German too, so that means I also have to go to Germany for a beer tour!  Actually, there is controversy as to whether or not we are part German or Dutch.  Either way, future husband is Danish, so I think a trip to Scandinavia is in order. 

I wouldn't mind finding some Irish music sessions whilst we're in Ireland.  I play the pennywhistle, so I love that stuff. 

Nice, I play the tin whistle too.  I probably have about ten inexpensive ones in all different keys and I picked up a handmade Irish Low D Whistle in Co. Clare.  People think they are toys, but in the hands of a master (not me) they are quite impressive.  It'll help if you ever want to try the bagpipes ever in the future too.  You should definitely bring your whistle with you on the trip, sit in with the musicians at a session, they love that, and you'll pick stuff up for sure too.

Neil Stryker X said:
hannaugh said:
I'm so excited about seeing buildings that are super old.  The oldest buildings I have ever seen were in New Orleans and Savannah, so I'm looking forward to seeing stuff that would make that seem new. 
but if you want to see the most beautiful part of Ireland, you need to head up to Ulster and see the Coast of Donegal or the North Antrim coast.   Just being in Ireland though you are bound to see old buildings... you can still see the cottages abandoned from the famine, or churches burned out by Cromwell, or old Irish battle sites, old Protestant manor estates, castles, etc.    But if what you seek is great Irish music, that is a different animal all together.   :)

I agree with your advise! Giants Causeway, ropebridge, and that huge cliff in Donegal are all great sites! I also liked Newgrange!
yes, there are lots of abandoned villages in the middle of nowhere. I did a lot of hiking in the wicklow mountains (where I lived) and came across a lot of abonded ghost towns.

Also, skip the ring of Kerry and do the ring of Bearra instead! also go and see achill island in Mayo!
and when in dublin, try to stay a night on top of tallaght hill!! .... if you dare!

hannaugh said:
jimh said:
You coming to England at all?

Some day, but probably not on this trip.  We wanted to orginally check out Ireland, England, and Scotland, but it will depend on what kind of deals we are going to get, and I kind of doubt we will be able to afford a trip that cool at this point.  We were thinking about trying to go to London for the next summer Olympics though, which would be a big group trip with his family and some of our friends. 

I really want to see everything in the UK and Ireland.  My family is mostly Northern English and Scottish, but we also have a bunch of Irish mixed in there.  There is a little bit of German too, so that means I also have to go to Germany for a beer tour!  Actually, there is controversy as to whether or not we are part German or Dutch.  Either way, future husband is Danish, so I think a trip to Scandinavia is in order. 

I wouldn't mind finding some Irish music sessions whilst we're in Ireland.  I play the pennywhistle, so I love that stuff. 

what is the last name of your dutch/german ancestor?

Marko said:
OzziePete said:
Dingal Bay,

so when you where in Dingle, did you see Funghie ? :icon_biggrin:

I agree that driving around ireland along the coast is probably your best option. Except that it took me 7 years to see everything, and the average american tourist does it in a week! if you go around the coast, make sure not to skip Killkenny, Cahir and Rock of Cashel.

I did go to Blarney Castle, but skipped the kissing part - for 2 reasons.
1/ I didn't want to queue up with all these crazy americans, and 2/ my friends from Cork let me in on a little secret, about what the locals do to the stone at night.

It was very foggy when I drove into Dingal Bay and could hardly see a thing! I actually drove on to the Cliffs of Moher that day, I think, because I didn't want to walk around in the fog all day.

I found the Blarney Castle grounds quite beautiful. Would be a great place for a picnic on a good day. The castle itself is a shell, nothing more nothing less.

But I had made the decision to kiss the Stone and even though it meant having to slide out from the top level of the Castle, about 200 hundred feet up, upside down and lean out to kiss the darned thing, I had come all the way from Australia to do this so I thought - what the heck. My Hepatitis and Tetanus shots were up to date, and I noticed one of the guys was cleaning the stone after each person had kissed it.

So, we're going apartment hunting tomorrow.  God, rent here blows.  The cheapest places I'm finding that aren't studios are $1100, and we need a lot of space for our stuff because we're both artists, so he wants to get a 2 bedroom.  And I have all my guitar stuff too. 

Meanwhile we've been looking for extra work to no avail for several months. 

grrrrr

Back