Strat Rebuild

Shmoopie

I finally get to rebuild my craptastic strat nockoff. im half way through striping the paint.

My question: what color scheme? pickguard color?
all maple neck, chrome pafs, standard strat hardware.

also, i need a cheap trem to replace my rusted out 4 screw, i really want a new Wilkinson, but i need something affordable (hate that word).
any screw or stud pattern will work, im planing on plugging and redrilling the holes.

pics coming soon.

don't mind the saw, we just moved, and things aren't put away.

IM000310.jpg

What sort of wood is that Schmoop? Can't really tell but it looks like some kind of maple veneer on the top at least :icon_scratch:

Good luck man :headbang:. I recently sold a crap tremolo  for .99 on ebay. If only I'd known you needed one. I'd keep an eye on ebay, the "stratosphere" store seems to have a bunch of parts that sometimes go cheap, you can probably pick up a new MIM tremolo for under $20. Same with pickguard. As for finishing, you've been reading all the stuff on this board so you obviously know the main options. I like natural woods usually, but you probably want some flaming bat skull logo or something, so you should do that. You can always sand it off, as they say. We're about the same degree into similar projects; see my 'side project' thread in general discussion.

I'm ALL for the flaming bat skull!!  :headbang1: :headbang1: :headbang1:

no bat skull!  im weird, but i r no idiot.

don't know what kind of wood it is, but i ache from striping it all day.

i want to grain fill a random color, and paint it black, but me thinks that wont work.
or i could go white, and put on a black pearl guard.  i don't know what to do!

thanks for the bridge tip, i'll keep my eyes peeled.
and i plan on getting a custom guard from warmoth no matter what.

thanks guys, can't wait to hear from CB, and Smoky Jack.

your sanding it off right???... if yes it's going to be a royal pain in the ass when you get to the cutaways...

I'm using a paint scraper (the one in the back shot).

im already at the cuts, and it is the royalest of pains.  :( 
I estimate another 4 to 8 hours of scapping and sanding, and then i get to pick the color (you guys decide).
it will be worth it.

its my first electric guitar, it was free, all i had to do was re-solder the jack and the bridge ground (peice of cake).

Just get that paint off, get it back together and rock out for a couple months, enjoy it. Then on your summer break or whatever, when you've got the perfect scheme all worked out (and can afford a decent bridge pup), you can get back to work. Enjoy it and don't worry about grain filling and all that crap, it's your first real six string dude! I know you're a nirvana fan, someone could teach you all of their hits in about five minutes if you get it playable (they all have the same chords and rhythm so it's pretty easy). Can't do that if you're freaking grain filling. Let me say again:
guitar refinishing is NOT rock and roll. It's fun for some but it's not rock and roll.

one good thing i got going is:  my dad has an hvlp, so i can do anything spraywise if required.

i think my bass is the next thing to redo,  new hardware, pups ect.

thanks for the advice guys, Hmmmm, just had an idea, Gatorade red in homage to my favorite drink....  nah.

tell me how this sounds, appliance rattle-can white enamel with a black pearl guard, it would look good with my chrome pafs until i can get $100 for a set of rockfields.

hey dude

I think it was CD who said not t use enamel based on info from another forum...maybe he will chime in here.

Brian

Back