Stalled build restarted

TBurst Std

I have a VIP body that was shipped to me in early March 2009.  Finally able I hope to complete the build. It was a resolution in 2016, but I lost my job.

As I just got a new job, forward progress now. Just ordered the neck. Need to double check the punch list for the remaining needed items.  Don’t think I’ll have it done 10 years after the body ship date, but pretty close  :laughing7:

Onward and upward, Brother! Progress delayed, is progress none the less. Looking forward to watching it come to fruition!  :icon_thumright:

A ten-year build! That will surely turn out to be the best guitar you've ever had! :icon_thumright:

Good luck and looking forward to seeing it come together and played :eek:ccasion14:

Here you go.
Older VIP before double lam tops. Has dished controls.
Chambered hog with flame maple top.
Yellow dye on top, clean line, trans brown back.

Attachments

• VIP.jpg
    VIP.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 812
Neck will be a Vortex rosewood on rosewood.

Question for those with The Wilkinson Gotoh VS100:  I know the ‘chrome’ model is more satin than shiny.  Do you find chrome or nickel hardware goes better with it?

TBurst Std said:

Question for those with The Wilkinson Gotoh VS100:  I know the ‘chrome’ model is more satin than shiny.  Do you find chrome or nickel hardware goes better with it?

Think of it like satin vs. gloss finishes on a body. The hue/shade is the same but doesn’t have shine to it. I’ve matched the VS100 with chrome in a couple builds and it works out great.

That being said, if you’re really looking for a true match to chrome, you might be better off with the chrome version of the 510.

There's a picture of the Wilkinson bridge with chrome hardware in my Strat pic here:

https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=30309.0

Yow, that body is a looker! Great choice. Glad to hear you are working (I was out for longer than I wanted to be and am also working again now) and glad to hear you are taking this project forward. This is going to be something special when done.

TBurst Std said:

I have chrome with it on the two strats I have that have the Wilkinson. Looks fine to me. I think there is enough physical separation from the bridge to the strap buttons and tuners, and (for me) the jackplate. I quite like the design aesthetic of the Wilkinson. If you are going to use covered humbuckers this question may merit some visual comparisons. Some use photoshop to mock up possibilities, I have been known to use screen shots into Word and crop them to what I need to compare. Both are approximation, of course.

Ah the pickups.  Have had those for a while.  They are uncovered double cream humbuckers by Zhangbucker.  A Pagey 2 neck and an OBucker bridge both with the splat option.

The build is now delayed a couple weeks more (no it wasn’t going to be done in 2 weeks, it was going to be at least 8 -10 weeks more, now it’s at least 10-12).
Spent some of the money for it on something else, an ABG.  Have had a few situations where I needed an acoustic bass guitar over the last couple months and have at least 3 more already on the calendar. I’ll post pics when it arrives. 

That body looks great! I think you should go with some gold or amber tophats. That'll minimize the chrome mismatch. You could tie it all together with some Sperzels and call it a day. :headbang:

pabloman said:
That body looks great! I think you should go with some gold or amber tophats. That'll minimize the chrome mismatch. You could tie it all together with some Sperzels and call it a day. :headbang:
Is getting speedknobs.  Undecided between gold or amber.  I’m leaning gold.

Well due to the snowpocalypse, it appears the ABG will be delayed a day.
In the interim, here is a sneak pic from the posting.

Boulder Creek EBR1-TB4

Attachments

• ebr1-tb4.jpg
    ebr1-tb4.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 295
Back