Stainless strings with stainless steel frets

Lou Kash

I've been warmed not to use stainless steel strings with nickles frets as they will wear them out faster. I was thinking about doing a build with ss6115 frets. I also kinda want to use stainless steel strings as many of the late 60s yearly 70s players I like used stainless steel rotosound strings. Will using ss strings wear doen ss frets like nickles strings do to nickles frets? In that case, would ss strings take out the sharp crown on the ss6115 frets?

.  ... think about it. Sure ... harder strings will wear frets faster but if the frets are harder they’ll last longer.  Get the ss frets and be happy. :bananaguitar:

the eternal struggle! The #unstoppable string vs the #immovable fret lol

i play pure nickels on all my necks so steel on steel isnt something i worry bout. Even if I did I bet id find a way to not worry bout it rofl theyre just strings

You're not getting into the spirit of things here, Rob.  Every possible detail must be scrutinized, worried over, and fetishized to get MOAR TONE or whatever. 

IMO, you should be ok - stainless steel frets are pretty tough. 

Luthiers who know better won't install them if they're not tooled up with stainless-steel grade equivalent fret install tools, because they're so tough that working with them prematurely wears down ordinary tools. 

BTW, stainless steel strings on well-polished stainless frets feels great.

Back