Squier neck + poplar body, done

dbw

Master Member
Okay, here it is... genuine hardware store spraypaint finish, complete with lots of spatter in the clear coat (I'll repair this later and recoat with wipe-on).  The pickups are no-names but an upgrade from the Squier pups that were in that pickguard before.  The pinstripe is white spraypaint over the black... it runs from the pickguard, under the bridge, around the body, under the neck plate, and disappears into the neck's skunk stripe.... looks cool!  I should have done this with pinstriping tape (maybe when I redo the clear coat).

2534496587_eb02cf4927.jpg
2535313398_a20f7b2663.jpg

2535312228_113d1f6329.jpg
2534495477_6fa6ec8bc9.jpg

I would add that there's an issue here.  It seems the heel on the Squier neck is somewhat thicker than a Fender/Warmoth.... and the heel on the Squier body is thinner, but I've got a Warmoth body here!  So the bridge is maxed and the action is still waaay too low.  I'll sand down the neck back to fix it.  (Sanding the cheaper part :p)

Oh, but what about the finish, you ask?  Well, I forgot to mention that I stripped the poly (except at the headstock) and Tru-Oiled it, so it will be easy to refinish the heel again.

Also the neck's heel was slightly too rounded, but not so much I couldn't fix it with a minute of sanding.

I suppose.  What would I use?  Just a piece of wood?  1/16" should do it...

peghead overlay vaneer

I think CB suggested this one on another thread.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bodies,_necks,_wood/Acoustic_guitar:_Necks/Peghead_Overlay_Veneers.html

Brian

sand the neck, sand it heavier on the heel. this will raise the nut end of the neck and make the strings higher and no shimming required

You know what, I miss the funky grain on the poplar body! Call me crazy, but Fugly Green was working pretty well for me there.

DiMitriR33 said:
sand the neck, sand it heavier on the heel. this will raise the nut end of the neck and make the strings higher and no shimming required

That did the trick!  Some 180 3M paper and a sanding block made quick work of it.  Now I have to lower the action, tighten the trussrod, and set it up again, but it plays nice near the nut.

Sound clip  :guitarplayer2:

Sounds like a Strat... pretty standard stuff!

Edit: A little more info... This is the clean channel of my Carvin V3, position 4, VTT are on 7, 8, and 5 respectively.

Edit: I just listened to this clip again and it SUCKS!!! I deleted it :p

Back