Spruce Top Telecaster Body

JaySwear

Got here yesterday! Don't know when, I didn't realize there was anything here until 7 or 8 last night :doh: and I was so excited I tore the package open immediately. Acclimating? Pssh. I think poly finishes are a little tough for that anyway, but there are pictures out there to prove me wrong. Oh well, either way it's here and it looks great

Carved top Telecaster body
2 f-hole
Spruce top
Basswood back
Cream binding
2 P-90 route (undecided on P-90s or Mini hums)
Super duper light weight

8388659264_7df83435b2_c.jpg

Why yes, I DID take it to the post office to weigh it. I was curious.

8387571881_3a6e56fc7a.jpg

8388660362_a0ea65e99d_z.jpg

8387574151_f53edc7bff_z.jpg

As I said in the Warmoth Today thread, I was 99% sure that I had marked for a black back. I was a little concerned when I pulled it from the box, but as far as basswood goes I think I got damn lucky. I didn't even think a clear back WAS an option with basswood, but I went back through the builder and checked and sure enough it is. It looks great paired up with the maple neck I have, and it gives a great contrast to the black-brown-yellow front. No complaints from me! I actually chose the black back because I thought it saved a few dollars (read: $60 maybe? Can't remember), but the clear works very well.

8388663134_43fe623c10_z.jpg

Almost looks like a maple back. Right now it has a Fatback quarter sawn maple/Brazilian rosewood neck on it from my other Warmoth Tele. I love the look, so the other Tele will need a new neck now. Always something to buy, right? :icon_biggrin: Sorry about the cell phone pictures. I might take some good ones if we get some sun any time soon.

Also, I know UW loves it's P-90s, but whats the consensus on mini-humbuckers versus P-90s on this thing? I think either would sound good. I've never owned a mini-hum guitar before, and I know I love P-90s. Very torn.

Me likey!  Looks really nice with the Rosewood fingerboard.  Can't really comment on mini buckers, but I love my Roadhouse P90's.

Still undecided on maple neck vs a maple and rosewood. I like the rosewood on there though!

Nice. If a showcase item doesn't tempt me before i build, I'm conteplating a spruce  top thinline.  Wish hollow strat were an option

JaySwear said:
Still undecided on maple neck vs a maple and rosewood. I like the rosewood on there though!
Perfect as is  :icon_thumright: ..... the clear back, looks GREAT  :eek:

What bridge you using ?

That is one pretty combo. I say string it up. It'll teach it a lesson.

Mini humbuckers are very nice. Not quite as "rude" as a P-90, they have a bit more of that humbucker "authority" to them. I guess that's more mids. But still plenty of bite and roar. Of course, they are much, much quieter too. Closer to a P-90 sound than you're probably imagining. Perhaps go to a shop and try out one of the Tele customs that has one at the neck, see what you think.

I've never given them more than idle curiosity. That description sounds rather interesting.

It'll be getting a Roadhouse mini in the bridge and a Roadhouse P-80 in the neck. I'm pretty excited about the combo! I've always loved a P-90 in the neck, and It seems like the P-80 will be perfect for me.

That clear finished mahogany looks better with that burst every time I look at it! Great stuff!!

No mahogany trees were harmed in this guitar. The top is spruce.

Yep, no mahogany here. That's one thing I really love about it. I don't think mahogany always takes a burst really well (darkens them, obviously) but the spruce looks great with the black-brown-red burst I think.

Yet another change. I just picked up a Lace P-905 on eBay. It'll have a lace bridge pickup (noiseless) and a Roadhouse neck. I'm excited!

I think the Roadhouse mini will go into my Tele Deluxe. I think it'll make for a good combo in that guitar. And the guitar is completely apart right now, so it's a good time to make a pickup swap. Now I just need a Tele neck for one project, a new pickguard for the other... Always need something.

Roadhouse pickup is here!

8448293680_23988fb575_z.jpg
8448293466_958603d2b8_z.jpg

Love that fretboard... Can't wait to get this thing up and running! Got everything except proper wire. What gauge do I need if I'm wiring it myself? Might just take it to a tech. My wiring jobs never work out properly.

Looking good!

For wire I prefer cloth covered. It's a bit easier to work with since you don't have to be as concerned about melting the insulation. It's also pretty flexible but stiff enough to keep its shape if needed.  I would wire it with 22 awg or 24. Had I known you needed some I could have provide you with a few feet.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Supplies:_Wire,_cables/Vintage_Push-Back_Wire.html

Back